Philadelphia World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Sep 30, 2009.

1. dmmihali

dmmihali Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. dmmihali

dmmihali Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

5. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the time the World Cup comes to the Linc, Philadelphia Union should have somewhere between 8 to 12 MLS Cups.

6. rand al'thor

rand al'thor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    In the 4th dimension
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, so you don't think you'll be getting a world cup match until around 3245!?
    :D

7. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stadium is horrible if you want a loud crowd. It prices all the real fans into the upper level which is way too high and isolated due to all the clubs and suites in between the lower and upper levels. The huge screen is an eyesore. Not needed. If you want something that big it would be better to use college football stadiums that hold over 100,000 i.e. penn state or ohio state. Too bad they're not in the bid cities.

8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Penn State and the Yale Bowl and a few other college football stadiums were on the initial list, but they got dropped a few cuts ago.

9. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading a few things it seems that the final would take place in the new giants stadium. That makes pretty much perfect sense in that you'll still hear the crowd, it's a nice modern stadium in a sports complex with parking, etc and it's in the northeast u.s. so some of the other bid cities are nearby.

10. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if I had to make a bet, i would think the shoe, the big house, etc arent big enough (field wise) for this.

11. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...i hadn't even looked into that. I was just going off the top of my head. They're not even in contention anyway.

12. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. CREN

CREN BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad Philly is still at the top 2. If we do win a WC Bid, I have a strong feeling we'll be at least a host city.

Shocking: 3) Miami 18,246

Sad: 14) New York City/New Jersey 8,976

That number seems about right for the amount of fans at PC Arena yesterday

14. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised me too...although, isn't Miami and Montreal the favorites for the next MLS expansion?

It's difficult to believe...

15. CREN

CREN BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber told the AP the other day Montreal is basically in...they are literally just finishing the small touches on the deal so Montreal is 19, and number 20 could be anybody, possibly Beckham's team.

16. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Amazing thing is that if they use the Top 10, and it ended today, it would actually hurt the USA's chances. Why would FIFA want to have the USA host a World Cup that failed to include New York, New England, Chicago, or anywhere in California. According to that list, Philly is the only Top 5 US media market that would be hosting matches.

That'll never fly.

17. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that New York and Los Angeles soccer fans haven't voted because they know, like we all do, that they will have some part of the tournament in their city's no matter what.

Smug bastards.

18. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true anymore. Philly, otoh, is dropping like a rock -- even behind Tampa.

http://www.gousabid.com/blog/entry/the-leaderboard-june-28-2010/

19. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it, but I really don't think that this city is in any way equipped to handle something of this magnitude. We lack the internal infrastructure for security, transportation, and lodging.

Could we sink a bunch of money into prepping for it? Sure, but then you've made infrastructure improvements for a one-time event that you can't afford to maintain.

Our city is very poorly managed.

20. billycol73

billycol73 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Section 140 row B
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RNC in 2000 was a large security nightmare and it went off without a hitch. World Series and Stanley cup Finals (not as big as a World Cup match, but some of the biggest sporting events in this country) have been handled well too. I think Philly will do just fine.

21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I don't know what you are talking about. Philadelphia has perfectly fine infrastructure to handle some World Cup games. It's not like it's the Olympics with tons of different events at one time in one place, we're talking about ~3 games over a few weeks.

A single World Cup match at the Linc isn't that drastically different from the Army/Navy game that Philly hosts most of the time without issues.

22. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think Philadelphia has fewer hotel rooms, worse infrastructure and is more dangerous than, say, Nespruit, South Africa, population 200,000? Or Soegwipo, Korea, population 150,000? Or for that matter Detroit, which successfully hosted games in 1994?

23. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh..... nope!

24. Pelti

Pelti Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually, look at the list again and tell me how many of those stadiums have direct transit access. Transportation is a selling point for Philly. SEPTA may be terrible, but few cities have better.

25. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I based my comments on our city's inability to come up with funding for police presence for a simple New Year's Day parade. SEPTA is one of the worst mass transit systems in the country.

You make the comparison to South Africa, but I wouldn't expect the US government to fund everything that Philadelphia would need like the South African government is spending a fortune in all the areas that are hosting games.

I may be wrong; it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but our city government is such a mess, and our budget is non-existent. We're losing services and paying more taxes every year now; I can't fathom what hosting an event like that would cause. We'd probably see the beverage tax, another 11% hike in property tax, and city wage tax go up as well. Plus, we'll lay off half our firefighters, close down all our libraries, and start charging money for bi-weekly trash collection...:rolleyes: