Philadelphia Soccer History

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by christie3, Feb 23, 2013.

1. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mt father and I were going through some junk he brought home from his Uncle's old house and we came upon an old sports newspaper dating back to 1925.It was hard to read as I was trying not to tear the pages as it kept rolling up, but the front page was the 1925 season finale of the Philadelphia Field Club against Fall River Marksmen.

I did some quick research only to find out that the "Phillies" as they were called, were absolutely horrible. They went 1-5-37 that year and were only around all of two-three years.
    One little quick part of an article i read in it, and took a quick picture of, was how Fall River was about to begin construction on a covered stands for the supporters to sit and the writer of the article was hoping Philadelphia would get one soon.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37760318@N03/8501160597/

I just found it all quite interesting and hopefully i can salvage the newspaper and get it framed or something.

EDIT: I tried posting the picture but i can't seem to get it to work right but ill keep working on it.

[​IMG]

song219 and Dills repped this.
  2. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really interesting not only learning about the rich history of Philly soccer, but of Fall River as well. I grew up and spent 25 years of my life there before moving to Philly, and I had no clue about any of it. Pretty neat stuff.

3. Husher315

Husher315 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Narberth
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polemarch repped this.
  4. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008