PHI vs WSH and USA vs GHANA

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Blaze20, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Anyone going to the game this saturday want to meet up at the Iron hill brewery for a World cup viewing party? I'm hoping to be there and after the game just wait a few before going to WCU.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got this email from Amy Smerdzinski after asking if the Indies were doing any tie-ins with the US-Ghana match:

I'll be driving up from the DC area for the Philly-Washington match and figured I'd need to catch the WC match up there someplace. Iron Hill sounds fine to me - see y'all there!

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok, I'll be there with probably an Indy scalf

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'm looking at this week's roster report and I'm seeing that Danesha Adams is not rostered for this weekend. Someone please tell me I'm seeing things.:(

5. Michael Minnich

Jan 16, 2009
    Club:
    West Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the same thing...yet the game preview says that everyone will be available and even says that Adams will start if DiMartino can't go.

I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow evening!

6. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what I saw Wednesday night in Atlanta, I'll be really surprised if Danesha Adams is not in this game.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are occasionally some last minute changes after the roster report is released. Maybe we'll see one here. I have rarely questioned Riley on anything, considering what he's done with this team. But I really can't see dressing 7 defenders out and leaving Adams off, since she has now proven that she can be a game changer.

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for anybody that went to the game. I see that Adams was listed as an unused substitute, so apparently was active for the match. However, I see Senty started and Larsson wasn't listed as a starter or substitute. Does anybody know if she's injured?

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally made it there, but not until the first half was almost over. There was a petite young woman rooting for Ghana near me and wearing an Indy scarf, but given how crowded it was I never tried to elbow my way over to see if she was you.

10. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Danesha Adams coming out of the restrooms after the game and she looked fine to me. No apparent injury that I noticed.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yup that was me ;). My friends and I were the only Ghanaian supporters at the bar.

12. McDude

McDude New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Wow, what a game and what a come back by Philly. This has to be one of the rare games when any WPS team came back to win after experiencing a two goal deficit.

Congrats to Indy for their team belief and perseverance.

13. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    I heard after the game that she was sick, not injured. I expect she'll be back in the lineup on the 4th.

14. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    I tell you, after watching the US men lose a heart-breaker, then seeing the Independence go down 2-0 so early in the first half, I thought it was going to be a long night. They looked like a team who was playing their third game in eight days. Credit the players and coaching staff for making the necessary attitude adjustments at halftime. And also thanks to Washington for taking their foot off the pedal (again) after taking a lead in Philly.

Finally, I hope all those ARod bashers out there are quietly enjoying their cat food this morning.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I would also recommend some humble pie for desert. And for those counting, Arod has 1 less goal (6v7) then the entire Boston team.

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, my apologies for not introducing myself then. If I see you at a match sometime, I'll be sure to say hello.

17. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think many people were "bashing" A Rod. There was just a question of whether she was worth the price the team paid for her. I still think Cheney is a better player and that will continue to bear itself out in the pecking order of the USWNT. The difference in goal output between the two can largely be attributed to Riley's offensive-oriented system and DiCicco's defensive approach. If they switched places, I bet you might see Cheney with a number of goals and A Rod stifled in that Boston system. Riley even hinted at that during pre-season comments.
    I would also note that I don't think it's a coincidence that A Rod has scored three of her six goals this season in the three games since the team acquired Tina DiMartino, who adds another badly-needed creative player to the midfield and that no doubt has put A Rod in better positions to score. Hats off to Riley for creating an attractive brand of soccer and A Rod for her recent production. She seems like a great kid and is a fine player. But I'll stick with my original preference for Cheney and pass on the "humble pie."

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the crowd size like? Philly still hasn't reported their attendance -- which seems to be a theme (late reporting).

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I don't think there were a lot of people at this game. If the crowd pass 2000 I would be shocked. However I must say it was a great day for soccer overall for me (Ghana won and the Philly came back from 2 goals). At the end of the match, I got so many autographs from the Philly players as well as some WSH players (thanks Bompastor).

OK question for the WSH fans, do the subs usually warmup after the game for that long? I saw them running for almost 30 minutes after the game.:eek:

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does seem like a long time, but it is usual for them to run enough to get as much exercise as those who played did.

21. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    I don't think many of the Philly posters were bashing, but a lot of the Boston ones were, especially last season. Riley's system absolutely makes the difference, and it's a whole lot more fun to watch than DiCicco's. We know that ARod was stifled in that system, and Cheney doesn't appear to be thriving there, either, though I don't think she's on Tony's s##t list like Amy was. I like Cheney a lot, too, she brings a different skill set to the mix. Wouldn't that be a fun pair up top -- ARod and Cheney?

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Exactly. I remember last year people were blaming everything on Arod and not the coach.