PHI vs. CHIC, May 15th

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Hoover, May 13, 2010.

1. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Ok, time for the next game against Chicago where it has been reported there will be a big crowd for this match and lots of excitement. They are expecting their biggest crowd of the year.

Who will start at goalie for Independence and will Seger be healthy for the match? How will team do on the road and will it bounce back?

I look for Philly to rebound after tough match in St Louis, but worry as Chicago team is loaded with talent. So always a question of which chicago team will show up (the heavyweight fighter or the lightweight version)??

2. tripsgirl

tripsgirl New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Its great that there is a webcast of this,even a bad wc
    is better than match tracker...:p

3. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an understatement......The worst webcast is always better than the best matchtracker coverage.

4. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Definitely agree, although pretty dark so far.....hopefully will lighten up soon.

Should be a good match.....

5. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I continue to be impressed by Philly's defense. They have a nice mix of experience and youth, speed and height, and versatility. I notice that they went with four 'true' defenders this past game, instead of having Frida in back. I was a bit surprised that she didn't start, but I suppose that Lohman would've been the one to sit if she had, so it looks like a smart decision since Lohman got the game-winner.

The other thing that's been interesting about the season is how players who struggled to get regular minutes with teams last year have looked so good this year, notably Krzysik and Lohman. Buczkowski, too, though she did play very well for Sky Blue down the stretch when she finally did get playing time. And I suppose you can add Larsson to that mix, since she was left unprotected by St. Louis. But then, as I recall, they were using her in midfield, and she seems much more effective in back.

Then, of course, you've got to give these guys credit for the ultimate steal in the expansion draft, Lori Lindsey. If you'd asked me before the season started who would be the 'star' in midfield and who would be the role-player, I'd have put Seger as star, and Lindsey as role-player. But I think that will even out over the course of the season, as they both read the game well, both defend aggressively, and both make smart passes. Lindsey's just had more finishing on the end of hers. As for the finishing, I think that will come, too. Rodriguez puts a lot of pressure on herself--is much more intense than I'd realized before watching her play this season. I thought that offside call on her was a bit questionable in the Chicago game. A pity, as I think that goal would have done wonders for her confidence. She'll get more this season, either ones that she scores, or ones that she creates, like the goal against St. Louis that Patterson finished.

Who'd have thought that an expansion team would be sitting in second place after six games? Give a lot of credit to the guys who picked the team and coach the team, and to the players who've stepped up and taken advantage of the opportunity. It's a long season, let's see how they weather the storm of injuries and national team call-ups. It's been a fun ride so far.

6. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I too am very surprised and impressed with Philly's performance so far this season. Very impressive for a first year team to be doing so well and yes, lot's of challenges ahead as not much separation between teams 2-5 in the standing's.

Philly is in every game because of our defense which includes all the MF's who are coming back to help out and limit other team's opportunities. You can win soccer games if you can hold your opponent to zero or even one goal and then get some timely scoring yourself....seems to be the Philly formula for success as we are not a high scoring team (hopefully this will change).

MF is another strong area for Philly so far and think team has right blend or mix of players here. Lindsey is light's out with her playmaking and beautiful passes, Seger is a dominant force on the field, Buczkowski is the prototype tough d-mid and Lohman or whoever else is in the 4th MF position has being doing well.

The forwards are working hard and bringing a lot of energy to their play. Wish they were a little more dangerous and could finish more goals. Would like to see Frida get a chance to play up top as think she can be dangerous.

Looking forward to the next 3 games against WSH (TV game), NJ, and BAY teams.