Peter Wilt's 2003 Highlights

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by heybeerman, Nov 13, 2003.

1. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    from the news email:
    (I love the USOC part, makes me feel proud)

Dear Fire Fan,

What an incredible year this has been for the Fire:

I wanted to give you a list of my top five memories for the Fire's 2003 season, ask you to send me your list (PWilt@Chicago-Fire.com) and please let me know if you will be at Soldier Field tomorrow night to create another great memory. Please do your best to get to this game. The team needs your support.

5) 2/26/03 Peter Nowak joined the Fire's off field team at a news conference at the Chicago Athletic Association. After Peter was traded to New England January 3rd to meet the MLS mandated team salary budget, it seemed lonely without our captain. Bringing Peter back returned his charisma and spirit to the Fire and gave me confidence and comfort to go forward in this new era of the Fire.

4) 10/4/03 Fire's last game at Cardinal Stadium. DaMarcus scored a goal and an assist to lead the Fire to a 2-0 victory over Los Angeles. After the game....well after the game....I slowly toured the stadium and the surrounding area with Fire Director of Ticket Sales Vince Formanek. We walked up and down the stands, around the RiverWalk, out to midfield, sat down on the bench in the Darrian Chapman Memorial and remembered all that had happened there in the previous 20 months. It was a feeling of accomplishment and there was also an air of expectation.

3) 10/15/03 After the U.S. Open Cup championship medal ceremony, I looked over and saw a crowd of 30 or 40 Fire fans who had made the long trip to Giants Stadium. Their cheers during the game made the players feel at home and I'm convinced they led directly to the victory. I walked over to the group and tossed a championship medal into the group knowing they deserved one as much as anybody.

2) 10/18/03 Dramatic 4-3 victory in front of more than 28,000 fans. Fire Captain Chris Armas' 94th minute goal sent the Soldier Field crowd into a spontaneous celebration. Combined with the Fire's victory the previous weekend in its new Soldier Field debut, this game solidified the team's home field advantage in its new venue.

1) 11/9/03 On the field at halftime we honored Chicago Sting owner Lee Stern and Sting star Karl-Heinz Granitza. The recent National Soccer Hall of Fame inductees were surrounded by many former teammates including Pato Margetic and Rudy Glenn as well as mascot Stanley Sting. Watching the old Sting highlights on the new Soldier Field video board and watching Lee and Karl-Heinz watching the old highlights was emotional for an old Sting fan. Without Lee, Karl-Heinz and the rest of those who pioneered soccer in the NASL, none of today's American soccer success would exist - there would be no MLS, US hosted World Cups or US National Team successes.

These five memories were all great, but tomorrow night with your support, we can create an even greater Fire memory.

Please try your hardest to get to the game and bring a friend. Your continued support is appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter J. Wilt
    General Manager
    Chicago Fire

2. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Ok, so who got the medal?

3. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Flynn, Peter just asked you, the fire fan, specifically for your top 5. I'm waiting....

4. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    --little shit dog
    --sewer grate
    --us fans in NY making more noise than the home team, clinching title, and drinks with team afterward in bar

5. BarcaBear

BarcaBear New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    IL
    Peter,
    My biggest moment is yet to come!
    Last night Liam and I visited Imperial, a monster good price place on Touhy in Lincolnwood,to buy a suit for MLS Cup stuff.
    It was right there----
    A "Living in The RED" suit just made for you and Fire celebrations.
    RED RED RED with 6 red buttons on a knee length coat with a big collar. They also had RED shoes and RED ties to finish the look!
    NO ONE BUT You could wear it with the correct dignity.
    What a vision to prowl section 8 and the HDC.
    Do not go quietly.....
    Bear

6. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    5. Fraser night at NCC. After his own goal every song was converted to him. I was howling for a good half hour.

4. Hartmann arriving to the cheers of "Miss us" as he heads to the south end of NCC to find section 8 waiting for him.

3. The first 2 games at the new Soldier field. Raucous atmosphere!

2. Winning the USOC at Giant stadium and watching the awards ceremony. I didn't drink much but was impaired for a couple of days after that.

1. yet to come....

7. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he did this in 2000, as well.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our GM rocks.

[These are in no particular order other]
    1. Watching Section 8 standup gather their stuff and make their way to the others side of Cardinal Stadium just for lil' ol' Hartman.
    2. The first game back at Soldier Field. Not necessarily the best game I have ever seen, but it was nice to be back and a pretty damn good crowd.
    3. Watching the Fire-Crew game on August 13th with a few friends while my parents were throwing a party. A dozen people ended up watching the end (and what a spectacular end it was) and going nuts (some of whom had never seen a soccer game before) when Ralph tied it up with his GOTY canidate.
    4. USOC game. It's always fun to watch the Men in Red bring home another Cup.
    5. The first game I saw Ralph play (his first of the season). Right from that moment, before he even put a goal on the boards I knew that he had a world of talent (just really glad I was right).

9. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    that whole game gets my vote for personal moment of the year.

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5. Not having to pay for parking and having only a 10 minute drive to the stadium for the second year in a row. That savings may have kept us from being a heck of a lot poorer than we are now. It's been a rough year, and I had to miss the Sunday match due to my third job, but I'll be there tonight!

4. Ralph's various goals throughout the season... not just the number... but so many of them were so unexpected... weird, acute angles... crazy turns that ended up blasts into the back of the net... watching defenders not be able to figure out just what to do with him.

3. The Open Cup semifinal v. LA was one of the best times I've ever had in section 8. The switch at half time to the other side of the stadium just seemed to get everybody fired up and into what they were doing. Fewer people than usual were there, but the ones who were there made their presence known.

2. Having everybody pick the Fire to finish dead last in the league and having them win so much already. Along with this... sweeping the Galaxy... and also knowing that Bob Bradley must have regretted his decision a couple times... and knowing we don't need him.

1. Showing pictures of my new little baby to the people in section 8 (and Peter Wilt) and knowing that I had created a new Fire fan!

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Peter Wilt's 2003 Highlights

Did you get the two hoes to accompany him:D

12. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Best Fire 2003 moments so far, in no particular order:

1. Oct. 4 in Naperville vs. LA. Good win, Dan Loney's visit, partying with Loney, the team and with FSW's Max Bretos and Alan Hopkins after the game.

2. The SF game against the Rapids. Not only did I win CJ Brown's jersey in the auction, we got to tour the bowels of the new SF and we were on the field level right behind the goal when Armas scored the winner. You can see me jumping up and down in the game tape rigt after he scored.

3. The FireWorks For Kids cruise. We'd just taken first in the East, it was a beautiful day and we got to see the Air & Water Show up close and personalm with several Fire players. Those who did not go really missed a great time.

4. The USOC semi. Small but rabid crowd, the looks on the players' faces when they realized we'd moved from one goal to the other and, of course, yet another win against LA.

5. USOC Final. The relief I felt after Damani scored was beyond the power of mere words to describe. And watching them attaching the Fire's name plate to the trophy with a minute or two to go and realizing that we'd won it was priceless.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Dad, you were a lot more interesting before you kicked the heroin habit. :D

(Peter, don't encourage him!)

14. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    To my recolection this guy caught the medal ...

[​IMG]

15. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why me andrew? either way, I´m thinking... but one would definitely have to be in the middle of the summer during a stretch of about 15 minutes during a 0-0 game (was it against LA?) when section 8 was the loudest I had heard it in Naperville and the crowd was just so pumped that, according to the later theory of Andy Beer, we collectively willed the team to a goal. (this was a game when Jason had his youth team with him I think... either way J. Curtin told Jason after the game "you guys were really loud tonight")

16. dustbin

dustbin Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Marengo, IL
    Wouldn't it be cool if we "willed" a goal tonight?

GO FIRE!!!

17. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Agreed SOO much.

18. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I remember that. It was just before Perez's goal. Didn't make my top 5, but definitely was in consideration to be.

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here´s a second (and very new) top 5 memory:

Picture this-- it´s approaching 6 AM and I am slightly over-served and sitting in a computer lab reading JeffGMc´s every-45-second updates of the game... we´re approaching the end of 90 when this drunk girl comes in and says: "Hey! You´re that kid that used my shower!" (I had used her shower before in a very platonic incident) "I´ve never forgotten you [massages Flynn´s shoulders] what are you doing here? You want to come up to my room?" Flynn then turns and brushes the risquee girls´hand off of his shoulder and says "Please go away, I´m reading about a soccer game." 10 minutes later JeffGMc types the news: ARMAS ARMAS ARMAS !!!,.,!!,:¨!!!!!

...and I realize that I lead a very lucky life.

20. Tornado

Tornado New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Naperville, IL
    In no order

1. First game of the season - having our own mini tailgate at the park, and playing a pick up game. Also last game with Brandon Kitchens, which was great. Then going over and parading into the stadium.

2. Meeting Jim Curtin at the last game at NCC.

3. USOC semi-final. So awesome. "Frosted tips, frosted tips"

4. Meeting new people like the 2 Jim's.

5. Eastern conference semi-final - oh man. Most intense game I've ever been to. I was so nervous, but as soon as Armas scored that goal it was pure euphoria. It was something we'd waited all year for, and we were against the odds to do anything this year. I remember sitting in French class with Steve and talking about how we lost Kovalenko, Wolffe, and Bob Bradley and how we were thinking about how hard this year would be; how it would be a challenge to do something with a team that lost so many people. But I guess I was proven wrong.

Not to get too sentimental or anything, but I'd like to say thanks to all the people who supported this year and that I loved being a part of section 8. Thanks to everyone for being awesome.

21. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so far

1 Armas golden goal against NE has to be #1

2 Goal by Armas to beat Colo 4-3

3 That first game back in Soldier field before 30,000, after 2 years playing on plastic.

4 Ralph's great goal to tie columbus in columbus.

5 First times we beat DC and La this season after having losing to them for so long.

22. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    5 - April 13, 2003 vs New England:
    -First game back after a long winter break
    -Seeing Peter Nowak at the tailgate
    -Participating in the march and stopping traffic
    -"This guy.......wasted!!!"
    -Being about 3 feet away from Beasley's goal and celebrating at the fence.

4 - June 28, 2003 vs Metro:
    - BOB comes back to town
    - Peter Nowak induction into the "Ring of Fire"
    - Chanting "Future Man U Reject" to Howard
    - Ralph scores again
    - Razov's golden goal to beat Howard, BOB, and the Metros

3 - September 23, 2003 vs LA in Open Cup Semi:
    - "Dont Stop Living in the Red"
    - "I love you Fire..."lo lo lo lo lo lo"
    - Changing sides at halftime
    - 3 goals in about 15 minutes
    - Fire pissing off LA at the end by going to the corner
    - Hong getting sent off
    - Beating LA

2 - October 4, 2003 vs LA
    - Last game in Naperville
    - Beasley beating Hong for another goal
    - The Nuck Faperville Shirts
    - The Mayor who sounded drunk
    - Winning every game vs LA this year
    - Remembering the Naperville memories (yes there were some) and looking forward to the return

1 - November 14, 2003
    - The culmination of a great season. Its not over year, but this has been a truly special year.

Honorable Mention to I think it was July 19 when Fat Tony came to town and let in two awful goals to help us win, and the subsequent chanting/singing at him. Also Honorable Mention to Robin Fraser and to the October 18th game vs Colorado.

23. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That made my top 5. I definately think that we willed that goal

24. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
  25. modernpiracy