Peter Wilt Q&A With Jeff Cooper

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by P@rick_STL, Feb 3, 2010.

1. P@rick_STL

P@rick_STL New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Wilt is a former Chicago Fire GM.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/02/03/q-a-with-interim-nasl-commissioner-jeff-cooper/

Quote I found interesting:

2. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    That is very interesting. Usually when the owner hires a new coach they talk about how great they are going to be. I would have expected him to give some sort of vote of confidence that shows why he hired the guy. It sounds like Anelka is already on the hot seat before the season has even started. Or maybe we're reading too much into that.

3. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely love the candor of Mr. Cooper.

I think this is going to be great.

4. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They obviously value the importance of developing players more than a getting a proven manager at the moment. And in the (what seems to be an obvious) package deal, Filho's positives outweighed the negatives of Anelka.

I think it's worth the risk, especially coupled with Ralston being added as an assistant coach.

5. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting interview. Thanks for making it available.
    When AC St. Louis made their initial announcements, there was an interview
    with Claude Anelka on KSDK.com. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought Anelka quietly stated to the interviewer that he was not the first choice for coach of AC St. Louis. The interviewer continued without picking up on that admission.
    I'm aware of Anelka's history with Raith Rovers, but I'm ok with him being appointed as coach here. I really doubt that Cooper had a lot of choices. Think about it -- a team with no players yet in a league that hadn't been sanctioned with a brand new owner. I doubt a lot of coaches wanted to step into that situation. Let's be supportive of Anelka and see what happens.

6. P@rick_STL

P@rick_STL New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well said! (i.e., this is more or less what I was going to say.)

Filho's long tenure at Clairefontaine, and his shorter stint with Manchester United, are strong evidence that he is a high-quality coach. I don't know what his specifric responsibilities were in France, but he managed the under-17s at Manchester United for three or so years.

Here is what Peter Kenyon and Alex Ferguson had to say when he joined ManU in 2002:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=19829

And for the sake of completeness, here is what Jeff Cooper said in Dec 2009 when he announced the name of the new team and the hiring of Filho and Anelka.

http://www.ac-stlouis.com/AC_St._Louis/Press_Release_-_AC_Logo.html

7. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, Anelka has my support as any skipper would. Show and prove. His previous record means nothing to me.

If we put quality players on the pitch--and so far so good--for him to use and a staff like Filho and Ralston behind him then he'll have no one to blame but himself if he does falter.

I would think few managers--especially at a 'lower' level of the game--get this kind of valuable, experienced and classy support.

So, again, show and prove Mr. Anelka.

I wish him the greatest success.