News: Peter Nowak Out/Hackworth as Interim [updated]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionDues, Nov 4, 2011.

1. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this rumor is true, which it may be or may be not. Novak will have a mutiny on his hands. This fools sells the heart, soul, and youth of this team for $$$, produces no wins on the field, and then has the balls to jump ship once things don't go his way. (For what its worth)He will have made lifelong enemies of all STHs and there will be no way the FO could spin this into a positive situation.

CREN repped this.
  2. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... what would he care if the philadelphia region hated his guts.

3. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never accuse Nowak of caring what other people think about him.

4. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he should care, and i'm gonna assume the FO and supporters of other european team would give a shit. you can't just screw the pooch and expect future employers to forget.

5. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I had been sticking with Nowak thinking there must be some plan -- but jumping ship now?! I'm done with him. Fire him, and let's start rebuilding this mess.

nhlman10 repped this.
  6. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a rumor...

7. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You're right that it's unconfirmed, but the Phila. Daily News spoke with the reporter in Scotland who said, "I'm not sure of his chances. I just know he applied." (per this morning's Inquirer and it looks like Kerith Gabriel wrote it).

I guess I can wait until it's more confirmed, but jumping ship would be a kick in the teeth.

8. US Spurs

US Spurs Member

May 3, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one kick in the teeth I would gladly take - I think the Nowak era is approaching it's inevitable ending....he's alienated himself from the fanbase, instilled a style that is confusing to understand and painful to watch, and he's been exposed as not having a good eye for talent - he's just not developing players and the trades are just mind boggling. I hightly doubt that he'll get the Hearts job, but I can't see him being here beyond the ASG...one way or another

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So what exactly is the difference if he is fired or if he resigns to pursue another opportunity? Seeing as the majority of the fans who post here and on other sites have been calling for his head for almost 2 seasons now, wouldn't this rumor being true make all of them happy? Either way the majority of fans get what they want.

10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    If he resigns it might come before the ASG and everyone saves face. If he is fired it won't be until after the ASG if he is at all.

we are rebuilding right now! so what would the difference be? we are slightly better than Toronto although in my opinion TFC plays better.

11. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the difference is if he gets fired, then we were right (he sucks, and his ways are garbage). if he resigns and takes this job, its like he is getting rewarded for poor performance and we are left to rebuild not him.

12. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... basically what this all comes down to - he may be saving his own reputation by looking for a job because he knows his head is on the line...

And that we will have to suffer another set of 2 years of rebuilding from the complete decimation of the team..

I know that the first year was a bunch of scrubs we were able to get our hands on - some worked, some didn't, but just like The Replacements (fabulous keanu reeves movie) it ended up working in the end with some changes and additions. 2nd year was some tweaks here and there, and again, it worked and a good core from the previous year stayed... 3rd year is putting a grenade in a barrell of fish (representative of the team) and just imploding it all.

Yes you probably didn't like the group of guys you had from year 1 to 2, but it worked, and we liked it, and we liked that it worked...

Ah, so there's some credibility...

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets/takes the Hearts' job, it would have to be prior to the ASG ...

14. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What rebuilding - we still have some fan favorites on the team. His work is not done yet.

15. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    HA. Ha. yeah there are still a few that needs to be gone before Nowak could claim that he has the team he wants if that doesn't come the failure is not on him.

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's rather petty. Bottom line is you want him gone. Whether he resigns or is fired is just semantics, the end result is the same. Nowak resigning to pursue other opportunities is actually a win / win for the club. The club is spared the embarrassment of him being booed at the ASG (and let's be honest here the Union could go unbeaten from now until the ASG and fans would still boo him), and also of a press conference to spew the details of why he was let go. Both parties save face and can then move on and start anew. Plus the club wouldn't have to pay him a severance package either if he resigns. Win / Win for all parties involved.

The only negative I see is if he takes some of his staff (Gutierrez) with him, which would hurt the club short term with the transfer window opening soon.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  17. Jobu215

Jobu215 Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It can't possibly be true; the team hasn't done a feel-good fluff piece on Lord Piotr lately. Or did I miss it?

18. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure they had one early in the season..

19. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, couldn't be more wrong. petty!!!! most of Novak's moves have been petty to say the least. him getting fired at the very least gets the FO to say "my bad", lets start over (at that i can deal with). he blows up the team, and then gets rewarded with the euro job, how does this make the organization look?

Win/Win for whom? Maybe for Novak. The FO put there trust/money in this guys hands and then he jumps ship when the mess he created isn't working. Ya real Win/Win.

Press conference? When has the Novak or any FO given any more in press conf than your standard q/a type response?

Guiterrez leaving.....a negative? You out your goddam mind. Good riddance.

20. US Spurs

US Spurs Member

May 3, 2007
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly!

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    One job is not dependant on the other. ok, maybe a bit but you are acting like Hearts is rewarding Nowak for a job well done, they are not. If they hire him, is not to reward him for his prior job, is not a promotion, is a new job. His whole career will be judged, not just the last 6 months or year. Its a win win for the FO because they don't have to go to the embarrassment of firing him. if they fire him after the all-star game, people will say "Why didn't you do it before when things could have been salvaged? Just to save face!?" They will look like idiots because everyone knows that they wouldn't do it before the ASG even if deserved, and to do it after shows right through you and their lack of backbone and cojones.

unholyunion repped this.
  22. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's that... (thank you)

and he's more respected in Europe than here. People remember him more as a player than a coach... and will probably only note that he coached one good year in DC, one good year in the Union's 2nd year, and assisted at the national team level.

Yes everything can easily be looked up and analyzed, but if you were writing your resume, would you make note that you took apart your cubicle because you didn't like how it was looking at you?

23. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a couple good years in DC. Didn't he win SS in '05?

The league is a lot larger and tougher now than it used to be.

24. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was in '06. '04 was MLS cup.

There's also the "atlantic cup" which... is just them and red bull.. doesn't count.

25. $.02

$.02 Member

Jul 3, 2001
    If he does get the job, good but if he doesn't I think he has to go now. The PR is just killing the team. I think the FO has started distancing themselves already and preparing. My wonder now is who will they go with after he is gone? Hackworth may be a good guy but I think he is too much associated with Nowak. I think it is best to start completely fresh with a coach that can bring likeability but also a good candidate. suggestions?