Perfect Spot for NYC SSS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by CACuzcatlan, Mar 11, 2010.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This goes beyond pipe dream and into complete and utter delusion.

3. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I like how the author says that the other options for using the land are "misguided". Yet asking 20 companies to pony up $7.5 million each in advance is somehow more feasible.... Brilliant.:rolleyes:

4. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    hmmmm. assuming that MLS is truthful about stopping at 20 teams and that it is nearly a lock that Montreal is 19 do we really think that NYC is going to be 20? really? St. Louis can suck it? Forget the whole SE united states? i mean how about NYC/NJ area try supporting the one team it already has first ... I hear they have a nice, already built stadium only 20-30 minutes from NYC via public transportation.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, yes.

I love this guy's enthusiasm. But any plan that requires on a $150 million hand-out up front and West Village NIMBYs getting on board with an overtly corporate partner has zero chance of success.

That said... it would be an incredible venue for MLS.

Does anyone really believe that?

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    um. how big is that floating square? i cannot possibly see how a stadium would fit on that tiny little floating square. i mean if it were possible it would be hella cool i guess but seriously ... not going to happen. what is that place used for now anyway? looks like a dump on google earth.

7. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i cannot be sure but it looks like that area might be 14-15 acres. which is right in the average of MLS stadium footprint (11-15 acres). so, while that is a surprise i guess it isn't physically impossible to put a MLS stadium there. of course the whole NYC/NJ already has a team and the political, financial and nimby hurdles are still there.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Plenty of 14-15 acre lots in the rest of the country too.

I'm with an earlier poster. If Garber's 20 team-limit is real..........then we've got two spots left. And Montreal sure seems to be in the expansion lead at the moment (although that can change in a heartbeat). So that's one more spot. And we're going to put it there? Delusional.

The market that makes the most sense is St. Louis, but "making sense" isn't a pre-requisite for expansion. Salt Lake City wasn't on anybody's expansion list until Checketts backed in with his truck of money. And that's been a success.

9. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have to agree that St. Louis has all of the proper demographics. So does, surprisingly to me I have to admit, St. Paul/Minneapolis. I think that both cities having "new" D2 teams will give a good comparison between the two.

I also have to think that at some point there are going to be some current franchises moving. LA has no need of two franchises so I can definitely see Chivas moving to San Diego or Phoneix. And SJ seems to have real trouble supporting a team in any serious way ... they might be up for a second migration. That would be harsh for the fans I know but they seem to be struggling to get their stadium built (and the planned stadium has a ridiculously limiting 15K capacity). They might be the team that gets shipped to the SE somewhere.

Having said all of that can you imagine a stadium, an architecturally stunning and technologically advanced stadium, on that site. Right there in the middle of the Hudson and Manhattan? That would be something to see.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 8 million people surrounding them...not so much.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    No harm in dreaming, I suppose. A couple of points. This thing really would be gold for more than soccer. A 20K outdoor concert venue in Manhattan? Are you kidding me?

For all of the people arguing about 20 teams, forget about it. I don't care if MLS had 5 teams or 35. If this plan was truly possible, the league would be crazy not to make it happen. There is no way that MLS turns down a fantastic business opportunity -- maybe the best one they have ever had -- because of some artificial cap on teams.

There is a reason the Jets wanted to do a similar thing at that rail yard. There is also a reason that they couldn't make it happen with all of the might of the NFL behind them. That is why this would be a great thing for MLS and why it will never happen.

12. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    of course there is also the issue of the Pier 40 site being less than 10 miles from RBA. i am not sure Papa Dietrich and the Pink Soda Cows would be all that happy about such a situation.

13. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much they can do about it as of this this year, IIRC.

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would MLS want to stop at only 20 teams? That wouldn't make any sense at all.

As for the NYC location mentioned in this thread: comical.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This idea is so far-fetched, Segroves didn't even feel the need to get his ectoplasm all over this thread

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Has this "stadium deal" shown up on MLS Rumors yet. :p

18. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I'll txt Carlos Slim and see if he's in. Maybe NYT can be the stadium sponsor with Telmex on the jerseys?

19. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    The only way this plan could encroach on RBA more and still be in NYC would be if they built it on the WTC site. Which is just as likely to happen.

20. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I'll call him over:

"This will only work if they have a proper roof to bounce the sound down. But, I bet the neighbors would be angry at the noise amplification qualities of a roof."

1 person likes this.
  21. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i think you may be right. i am not sure there is any place in NYC 5 boroughs proper that is any closer to RBA. i noticed it was close when i did google map directions but i didn't realize that there is literally the closest point possible.

23. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    If I had to pick a place, I'd take the two city blocks west of the Cyclones stadium. They could share the parking lot and schedule around each other. That's far enough from RBA but not too far out (like Aquaduct).

24. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay away from Pier 40. Some people actually use it's field... :rolleyes:

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Of course, the guy seems to think you can put in a stadium and a bunch of public amenities. But the stadium is going to take up 12 of your 14 and change acres, so there won't be much room for much else.

And honestly, I would have to believe there are any number of owners who would gladly fork over the dough to build a stadium in that spot (and that MLS would roll out the red carpet for them)--if NYC just handed them the property. That's the part that won't happen.