Penalty 'Touch and Go' - Rio

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bvamin72, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Prawn, it looked like to me that Rooney and VnR never really worked together very well. Is this an ongoing thing or was yesterday unusual? Or is it just a new player in the mix try to find his way in?

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    I'm not sure - I can imagine Rooney's youth and desire to shoot whenever he can, as opposed to the intelligent pass to another player (a la Smith yesterday into Rooney for the 2nd goal), is not going to go down well with Ruud when a pass into him would be the better option.

3. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Ahhh the smell of justice

FA look at Van Nistelrooy foul

'We know how Ruud van Nistelrooy behaves,' said the Frenchman. 'He can only cheat people - we know him very well.'

The tackle was labelled 'a disgrace' by BBC TV pundit Alan Hansen and the fact Van Nistelrooy stroked home the 72nd-minute penalty that put United on the way to victory only compounded Wenger's frustration.

nice nice

SAF got soup thrown on him
    lol wtf

4. Davros

Davros Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Mandurah
    Yes please - and a drop of Bundy too if you could spare it :).

Losing to your bunch of wally's is always an experience that is indigestable. Fortunately it hasn't been happening too often of late, and the good news is it won't happen to often in the near future. Hope the FA get stuck into that slimebag VNB for his """tackle""" on Cole.

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Check back on the last 5 or 6 results between the two sides - you'll see we've had the better of the encounters.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Wenger investigated last year for calling Ruud a cheat as well?

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So you're saying that because Pires was injured once, it's ok for him to dive?

So then by your rules, it is also fine for Ruud to dive because after all, he missed 18 months through injury while at PSV and there was a doubt at the time whether he could play effectively again. And all poor Ole Solskjaer has to do is have someone breath on him and he can fall.

8. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Tis' true, but i know which trend is more interesting. The accusation or pattern of behaviour of a certain Dutch man.

9. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    The Toure dive was absolutely no better than the Rooney dive. Still, Arsenal didn't get a dive or a second look for that play. The Rooney call lost a game with already questionable judging. There is no difference but the Rooney dive was far more costly and you can't ignore that. Afterwards it was a panic attack to try and get a point and Toure's move was part of that.

It isn't right for any player to dive. Still the subject at matter isn't Pires which is a whole different match.

10. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Toure' dove. It looked like to me he was on the end of a bunch of players pushing and shoving and he lost his balance. Not a penalty, but also not a dive.
    If it was a dive, however, I condemn it as roundly as I do Mr Rooney's splashdown at the other end.

11. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For me, the horrible part about this game and the dive that won it was not so much that Rooney dove, but more about the fact that Riley pretty much let the two teams beat the crap out of each other with little more than a slap on the wrist or a talking to from time to time and then he gets fooled by a dive.

The fact is that this could have been a great game even with the dive. However, the good play both teams showed was overshadowed by the fact that Riley let pretty much everything go up until that point and then made a game changing decision based on a dive. That's what is so hard for me to take.

12. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Did I justify diving anywhere? Ahh...NO! You've obviousely never had a serious injury. Hence, you cannot indentify with what it's like.

13. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah I remember that game. The camera angles and the lovely English media made it look worse than it was.

Are you referring to Bergy's three match suspension serveral years ago? Let me tell you that there was probably more contact made when Sol "supposedly" elbowed Ole Gunnar in the eye.

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bergkamp has some shady logic huh?

crying over rooney and then explaining why it is ok for pires and reyes to dive :rolleyes:

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyes was carrying ankle injuries from Wednesday's Champions League tie. I don't blame him for going down. You would too if you ankles were bruised and battered. Furthermore, he has to endure other hard challenges.

Pires has used gamesmanship to his advantage in the past. However, while it appears that he goes down easily, it is important to keep in mind that Bobby recovered from a potential career ending injury. It is hard to shake such an event. In addition, he is not exactly the strongest midfielder in the league.

i'll give you the chance to rescind the comment of yours that i quoted before i call you a lying hypocrite.

16. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Where on God's green earth do people, reasonable or otherwise, get the idea that Henry and Reyes dive?

As I posted elsewhere, at least two opposing players (Danny Mills being one of them - I have been trying to find the articles containing the quotes since last night) have praised Henry for not going down after being fouled by them in the penalty area. I can't and won't excuse Pires' dive against Portsmouth, but I can't see what you people call as Reyes and Pires diving otherwise. When our wingers recieve the ball with their back to the defender, teams have tried to put heavy challenges in, constantly taking out both the man and the ball. After having studmarks in your ankles so many times, I think it's only natural that if you feel a defender rushing in at you from behind, you'll jump up to avoid it - the defender follows through while you're in the air and takes you out. Less contact than having your ankle broken, but still a foul, nonetheless, and not a dive.

Or that DB10 is a dirty player?

DB10 had a problem controlling his temper earlier in his career, more often that not to his own detriment, but there was never the deliberate calculation that was shown on Sunday to reveal Ruud as the dirty player he has been and continues to be.

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV

18. KanKeano's DefPosts

KanKeano's DefPosts New Member

May 6, 2004
    England
    So what if Rooney dived? At the end of the day Sol stuck his leg out and left it there. What would henry, reyes and ljungberg do in his position? They'd go down and all you Arsenal fans know it.

Most strikers in the Premier league would go down. He had turned Campbell inside out and nothing has even been said about the later one that Riley turned down...that was even more clear cut.

Arsenal only had themselves to blame yesterday and these air of invincibility, which is partly the fault of the press, caused their downfall. Wenger and Ferguson find it easier to lay the blame with others, rather admitting they were well beaten.

Personally i think Arsenal will win the title again, closely followed by Chelsea. Nothing i saw yesterday from Man.Utd suggests anything else other than also rans in 3rd or 4th place.

19. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt this very much. Most people have to be at least touched before they spontaneously fall over. I don't believe that "most strikers in the Premire league would go down". I doubt very much that Rooney would do it again, unless he really is just a cheating little twerp. VnR, now he would go down.

Did you read anything before starting to post? This has been discussed over and over.

20. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Get it fixed. Or trot off to Best Buy - they've got HD sets with thousands of pixels. Or take off those blinkers.

21. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I don't believe Henry or Reyes to be chronic divers, but they will give you a good flop every now and then.

Dennis isn't a dirty player, but he is capable of some sneaking crap sometimes.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Less than a month ago Ruud was held from behind with a hand on his shoulder quite blatantly and kept at it and tried to score but missed... it was a very clear penalty if he had gone down but refused to do so... Ruud also carried a german defender on his back in Euro to score that wonder goal... Ruud aint a cheat - i do think that Arsenal (deservedly) bring out the worst in him... as for the Ashley Cole thing... look at it carefully man... how could he have seen Cole? Cole came flying in from his blind side and arrived just as Ruud tried to turn.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry was booked for diving last season. Bergkamp had his arms all in Smith's face on Sunday, and has a history of similar provocative incidents. All you need to do is remove your own blinders mate. I'm not saying that any of the 3 aren't class players, but they aren't Angels either.

24. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh yeah...this is the Ajax forum.