Penalties and straight shoots

Discussion in 'Player' started by nvan_football, Nov 2, 2004.

1. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    I'm basically worried about two points on a pitch.
    1. Penalty spot
    2. Strait free kicks close to a penalty area
    I was obviously taught to use instep in situations like those, it is supposed to give accuracy and power as well. Yes I alwaus know where the ball is gonna fly, but I still can't feel any power in these shots. At least, I know that when I use my toe I get tremendous powerful low shot, which direction can be controlled rather easily too. How can you help me :)

2. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    the part that i hit the ball with -
    follow your big toe up towards the leg on the high bone, on the top parf of the foot opposite the arch. hit the ball about an inch away from your leg with that.
    A lot of what i see people mess up in taking PK's is the plant foot. Some people know where to hit it, but if you step too far behind the ball, you're gonna "spooner" it, and pull a beckham, where the ball ends up going into the 80th row, or they put it way too far in front, and hit the very top of the ball and it rolls easily to the keeper. In my opinion you should have your plant foot a little in front of the ball, you don't want to shoot high. My reasoning for shooting low is simply that it's still dang hard for the keeper to get there, but you've got one less post you have to avoid. just pick a spot in the net, then pick a spot on the ball (I like to use the place where you put the needle, but sometimes if you do that it can show the keeper which way the ball is going if they just look at the pattern, so I find a scuff mark or look at a plain white spot) pick the spot on your foot, and hit all three. The most important things to remember about taking PK's
    Knee up and over the ball
    Shoulders over the ball (no excessive rocking back after contact with the ball)
    Toe down
    Ankle Locked
    Eye on the ball the whole time, (I even like to keep it at the spot where the ball was after I've already kicked it sometimes
    Follow Through

About kicks close to the penalty area-
    I don't care what anyone says, it's easier to get it over the wall to the side with no goalie than it is to sneak it in past the keeper. Just keep it far post, use the same ideas as with the PK (except the plant foot goes a little more in front of the ball instead of behind it) and simply go out into a field and practice for two hours for a few days. It does wonders.

3. theblondsoccerstar

theblondsoccerstar New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    UT, USA

Ya, what he said. thats how i do it.

4. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    dasoccerplayafosho, thanks