Pellegrini Death Watch

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lockjaw, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised we need this thread so soon, but let her rip!

If RM loses to Getafe, I give 5-1 odds that Pellegini is fired.

If RM loses away to Milan, I give 3-2 odds that Pellegrini is fired.

2. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    I dont want to see him gone, but if it happens.. Enough of these small team no name coaches please. We're not f'ing Getafe.. Wait, come to think of it, think Getafe wouldve pulled a decent result yesterday..

3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Getafe would have destroyed them. I don't think many here realize what kind of side we just got disgraced by.

Anyways, you called it early this season, Lockjaw. If he can't get a reaction after all these losses and we even win close, I don't see him staying long.

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    This is where Manny shows his worth. I think a failure to get four point from the next two games means he goes. Either he earns his paycheck with a couple of wins (or a win against Getafe and draw to Milan), or the pressure on him becomes insurmountable.

I personally hope he gets through this, but he hasn't helped his cause with the result yesterday. I doubt there would have been any serious mention of him leaving had we not lost yesterday, so he has brought this pressure on himself really.

5. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Would it be better if he was fired now rather then later? I mean the way things are going i don't see him staying all season long here, he's gonna get fired sooner or latter.

I'm not for firing him but if it's meant to be then i'd fire him earlier so that a new coach can atleast have more then half of a season to try and pull something off.

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That's assuming he can't turn it around. I think he can, if we go on a good run of results.

7. ssabripo

ssabripo New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Pellegrini has ALL the fault in this right now, whether we like it or not. If he loses the next 2 games, he is out.

When I played in college (Gatech), our team was pretty shitty, and we had just gotten trounced by Virginia's National Championship team that included Eddie pope, Claudio Reina, etc, 6-1.

Our coach was a stubborn guy, sort of like MP....got axed 4 games into the season. We brought another coach, Miguel Angel, who used to coach in Colombia, and his attitude, the way he ran the team, his practice, his fire, and the way he made our team feel like a million dollars, turned things around! We all wanted to play hard, we wanted to run and kick ass. We ended up 4th from the bottom in the standings, which was much better than expected (we were slated to be dead last), and most matches that we lost were 1-0's or 2-1's. We tied North Carolina, who came in 2nd, and even beat clemson 2-0, who came in third. The attitude was completely different.

I guarantee you if a coach comes in here, that can understand our players better, and be a force and push our players, and be animated, and be able to adapt, etc, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

8. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    His recent results have been far from impressive, but tell me one coach who would be off to a perfect start. Especially with a completely new squad.

Perhaps we could have gotten someone better than him in the summer (who?), but can we get someone better now? Will it be an upgrade?

If we want to achieve our aim of playing perfect football again, we have to accept the fact that it takes time, stability and continuity. Based on his results with Villarreal and their performances he has merited the chance here. We will not get that with coaches given a season here and half a season there. A lot of money has been invested in the squad. We owe it to all to try and make it work. Firing your coach 2 months into the season is not trying to make it work.

We need stability to move forward and I for one am happy to give Pellegrini more time. Not because I'm particularly fond of Pellegrini personally, but because I want to see us follow through on our project.

9. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    we are still in all the competitions, i dont see marca reporting about pellegrini getting sacked. Only see AS and sport running the story of getting fired afer two games.

If we start winning esp the next two games, it will probably be because of ronaldo. I really am hoping ronaldo comes in and saves the coaches ass (At least till the end of the season)!

I noticed that pellegrini's villareal also had a sort of slump start/run but they just sparked to live after some weird results.

I really am hoping for him to stay and he gets this thing turned around.

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    ^^^Marca are reporting an exclusive that Valdano would take over in case of emergency. They also are the ones who pushed the Laudrup didn't take the Atleti job because he's waiting for Madrid.

If Pellegrini isn't as "politically" strong as some of his players, why aren't those players taking part of the blame as well?

Aren't they suppose to motivate if the manager can't?

As I've been saying I feel Pellegrini lost this team (alarmingly fast) and he is to blame for most of this, however how can the ones who are even more influential, who are suppose to lead and motivate not take a good share of the blame as well?

No excuse to losing to that team, none.

However, I agree with your sentiment in the larger view of things. We've switched coaches and the results have been the same. We need to switch something else around.

11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The players aren't paid to motivate each other, they are paid to play. If it were up to me I would cull a few right now, 'cause they didn't play yesterday from what i saw, but that's not what will happen.

The "key players" aren't performing to their usual standards (Ramos, Xabi, Kaka, Benzema, Guti, Raul to an extent, even Casillas), and we can't sack all of them, so if they don't pick it up quickly then the coach will go. Maybe it's not fair, but fairness comes at a premium when you lose to Alcatraz or whoever.

12. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This is key. If people are going to claim he has lost total control of the squad then it is imperative that they come out fighting for him. I don't necessary buy into that theory anyway. Most of the players who were fielded last night our own the periphery of the starting 11 and are vying for a spot on it.

Very well stated. If he were to be fired of today he would have a 75% win record in competitive matches. Real Madrid fans are often worse than people complaining they can't physically see the process of natural selection unfold before them in the blink of an eye.

Villareal were rock bottom after the early stages of La Liga when MP took over there. And he eventually guided such a modest club to stages of the CL that we never reached during his tenure there. Admittedly the rotations are suspect and the formation is not working, but he must be given a chance to rectify it. Otherwise we should start hiring coaches on a pay as you manage contract.

And if he lost the squad already then the club has much bigger problems than the coach.

13. Vilmar

Vilmar Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The funny thing is, its not the results that bother me, its the teams performance (or lack of it), their attitude and Pellegrini's unwillingness to change. He really needs to get his shit together.

Goal is running a story that Spalleti has been added to the "shortlist" incase we fire MP.

14. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ramos' standards have decreased a lot the last couple of years, I don't recall watching a good game from him after the Euro (hell, not even in the Euro).

And Guti has been well into his standards, promising beginning crap in the rest except for two or three "lucky" games,he is incredible consistent in his inconsistence:rolleyes:

15. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Four years ago, we were arguing that was why Raul was paid. To motivate, lead, and score goals.

In fact, I thought that was part of "captaining" is all about. Guti has shown me that.

I never argued the coach going, he made that bed for himself.

Also, some of those players are performing to their usual standard. For instance:

Kaka - He's playing no differently than he has at Milan, minus the game he went in hiding (against Milan).

Guti - He's being his natural inconsistent self, throwing tantrums, fighting managers, attacking home/away fans.

Raul - He's the same as he's been the last how many years. A goal poaching, support striker.

Ramos - To an extent, because he's been an empty headed liability at RB for a while now.

You could also argue he wasn't in total control of the squad even from the beginning after seeing him overruled many times by Perez/Valdano, disrespected by Guti and of course we have a player or two that has way more influence than he does.

Anyways, I thought captains of teams are suppose to will the team on, even when the manager is lost out at sea. We aren't seeing that.

16. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    What angered me was the way in which the goals were scored. I can forgive MP's defense for a 35-yard Pirlo strike or a Casillas uncharacteristic gaffe, but an overlapping run down the right unmarked, ball on the ground across the face of goal and an open player a few yards out to just pass it into the net? The defense is beyond shambles.

I was against firing Capello and against firing Ramos, but Pelle's team have not looked like they know what they are doing offensively nor defensively. Were it not for Ronaldo individual brilliance it would be even worse.

I hope he can turn it around but he has yet to do anything to deserve his job.

17. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm afraid that there is insurmountable pressure for MP to win against Getafe and Milan, I just don't think he'll come out of this fine, how many coaches in the past have done so?

I know that it sounds all pessimistic and gloomy, but it's my thoughts.

I don't think that the team will win BOTH matches, we'll do very well to win one of them. Ronaldo's return may inspire the team, but how bad is the state of the team's confidence and willpower if we struggle to win against weak opposition without Ronaldo :(.

18. russian19020

russian19020 New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Juande ramos had like a 17 game streak with 16 wins one draw after his first game, we all know how it ended though... sad defeats... very sad.

19. Karthik

Karthik Member

Jun 23, 2007
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Had there been a poll in this thread, probably I would have been the only one to have voted for him to stay even if we lose to Getafe and Milan.

If the last 5 years or so had not taught us that changing coach isn't a permanent solution..then what will?

During the last stages of our pre-season matches, we were placing emphasis on one-touch, free-flowing, fast and direct football. Thats not the case now, but we at least know that it is on the coach's agenda. In future we will definitely be playing that way, but it takes time..

I was not expecting us to win anything this season and I am still not. Let us be patient and let the clowns in press give the time and breathing space required for an assembled team to settle in. At the end of the season, we can analyze the team and if we are convinced that it is the coach's fault, then we can think about replacing him..

If there is anybody who deserves a kick on their butt, it is not the coach, but the players who treat the opposition like a group of kids playing in the park...:mad:

20. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I wasn't trying to make excuses. I was just pointing out that I feel it would counterproductive to our long term goal to fire the coach we chose for our long term project only 2 months into the season.

21. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    BWAHAHAHAHAH! Yes, I wanna see that.

But Florentino reported to be still supporting Pellegrini... For now. It's critical for him to obtain good results against Milan, Atleti and Alcorcón.

22. Breakfast

Breakfast Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    One side of me is happy, the other one is not.

On one side I dont like Pellegrini's formation, and tactics. With the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka, Higuain, and even Marcelo(who I consider an incredible winger, not a LB:eek:), we cant be playing a slow-possesion, narrow-width football.

On the other hand, I dont think Manny was given enough time to fix an already broken Madrid. However, yesterday's defeat was beyond acceptable.:mad:

EDIT: It'll be hilarious if we put a stronger team than the one we put out yesterday, whenever we play Alcorcon again.

23. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, this is so disappointing. Its too early in the season for this kinda stuff...what a freakin bummer. Same shit all over again. Same posts, same arguements, same blame spreading.

All i can hope for is a new situation/ending, where the pressure from every angle and potential axing lights a fire under the asses of everyone involved, and things pick up from here on out. All we can do, I guess.

24. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's an all-time low, or close.

The problem with Pellegrini right now is that we've seen little reasons to trust him... He doesn't seem to have a plan. If we had seen bad results with good play, I might be inclined to give him another chance. But we've only been doing well as long as we've had Ronaldo healthy.
    Compare what he's done with the turnaround Juande gave this team.
    Plus, he looks depressed; he gave the "I'm not depressed" speech a couple days ago, which is the worst signal he can give. IMO, he doesn't look emotionally ready to withstand the level of pressure from the media and from the management that the Galactico projects implies.

The cynical in me thinks that the sooner he goes, the better, because he doubles as coach and Valdano and Florentino's shield.

25. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Who else is available though? I doubt Ramos comes back. I suggested Laudrup before the summer, but he will have the same issues (requiring time to implement his ideas) and is even more inexperienced than Pellegrini in dealing with the bubble around Madrid.

If we fire him we are (even more) rudderless, and the season is by no means over with him still in position. So long as we remain within 4-5 points of Barca and in the CL come December, we can still have a successful season.