Pele vs. Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by AmericanSalv, Mar 11, 2010.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Checked: first time Chinaglia was benched was on 26 June 1977 against LA Aztecs. Pelé responded with scoring a hat-trick in the game. It was, besides, his last hat-trick of his career.
    In the 1977 season Pelé scored three hat-tricks in competitive games, while scoring 0 in 1976 and 0 in 1975. He did score 4 goals in 1976 against a Japenese team though (Chinaglia didn't play in that match).
    [​IMG]

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #552 JamesBH11, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    I never doubted his quality ... but a good scorer in SerieA are there in every year, dozen of them ... and he lost his sense to pick on some great legends (Pele Beckenbauer) , older than him with NO RESPECT

Let's take a very very clear case"
    1- Adriano in WC2006 QUAL" he was best player copa, confed, best player SerieA and UCL topscorer ... YET he had to be a sub for Ronaldo (a living legend) and so what?

did we ever hear him complain or even be jealous with Ronaldo? NO
    becuase he RESPECT Ronaldo as a legend , even when he was out of shape

2- A Puskas when arrived to Real of Di Stefano, he did even "support" Di Stefano in scoring goals and never complained that why Di Stefano "had to be up" and scoring (like Chinaglia's naive claim)

For the record, Adriano was MUCH closer to Ronaldo in quality then a Chinaglia (who?) next to Pele/ Beckenbauer
    And Puskas was on par with Di stefano in quality , and thery were BOTH LEGENDS of the same era - that's a RESPECT he showed to another great

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He passed the ball to Di Stefano (Puskas made a few sideways passes so that Di Stefano became topscorer in 1958-59) because otherwise "he would never speak to me again", says Puskas himself in 'Puskas on Puskas' book.
    So I wouldn't necessarily say that he 'didn't complain'. It was maybe a pragmatic calculation too, I guess.
    We know what happened with Didi and, to a lesser extent, Kopa.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes you;re right .. but like I said Puskas was ON PAR with Di Stefano ... and he was "cool" enough to handle the situation
    Deep down, Puskas did say "DI Ssetfano is the greatest player ever" at the end.

===============================================
    There were always a competition within stars in a team ... like Figo vs Zidane at Real 2000's or lately Ribery vs Robben at Bayern ... but neither of them STiR things up that bad ... ad guess what, their level is a bout similar ... not day and nite like Chinaglia vs Pele at time

5. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    You are saying pretty much the same you said previously. Big ego, no respect... After reading my post all you got is sticking with the same thing nobody denied? Do I smell pigeon? :p

JamesBH11 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I repeated the same becauze you "tried" to convince that "Chiaglia's behavior" of "attitude' is quite normal? NO
    It's not acceptable as a professional player.
    Remember, as great talent as Romario was (much much different to Chinaglia) and his WC (longevity) career was destroyed twice - WC98 with Zagallo and then WC02 with Scolari for his "same ATTITUDE"
    Imagine if Romario was at either one of them and won 2 WC's or even 3?
    Romario and Ronaldo would bothe be at the VERY TOP legends no doubt

7. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    All I said is it is not so incomprehensible. Then I wrote why I think so and a few other things. You came back to overlook all of it and speak only of lack of respect. Suit yourself.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #558 JamesBH11, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    well said mate -

I thought your post might be misleading in some sort of "expected that " or "comprehensible"
    But you point was well taken now ... :thumbsup:

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  11. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    I do not think he would be the greatest ever, but I think he is among the top five. But in terms of charisma and idolatry, Senna is the greatest undoubtedly.

Senna and Stewart

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #562 JamesBH11, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Well Grsetzky in hockey, Jordan in Basket ball or Ali in Boxing all done more then Senna in formula 1 - let along Pele in Football :notworthy:
    Talk about charisma ... >>Michel Villeneuve (a Montrealais ., my home town haha)

However I agree with you its just too hard to compare players in different sports ... across all era's

13. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    #563 Lucas..., May 4, 2014
    What do you disagree specifically? If you're talking about Senna and Formula One, well, I should not think Senna as the best of all-time just because I am Brazilian. But I agree that this is an widely accepted opinion in Brazil.

About idolatry, in my opinion there was no other driver that have so many fans and idolatry like Senna. He is the most popular driver in the history of Formula One and the greatest sportsman idol in Brazil.

PS: Michel Villeneuve? :thumbsdown::eek:

JamesBH11 repped this.
  14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #564 JamesBH11, May 4, 2014
    I did rate Senna as #1 driver all time ... regardless formula1 or not. (I do love Senna my idol in driving - I do own a racing Porsche turbo light weight hahaha )

BUt if we try to compare all athletes in different sports, era's, we have to establish a system

1- WHat degree that particular sport has an impact to human life, mind and living style ... (points or weights)
    2- What that athlete did (difference maker) in his own sports (points or weights)
    3- what that athlete did to affect human life in any case ... (points and weights)

so adding all the above, Senna did not make much - say compared to Pele, Ali, Jordan ... (Gretzky did huge in hockey but sorry, even I am a Canadian, hockey is not that bid effect in the world)

=============================
    Michel Villeneuve was a local home town legend and died in his last tour - if you followed close ... you should have known how he died ... :cry:

I hope you get my points

15. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    James, I was talking about Senna being top five in the FORMULA ONE history, not among athletes in general, all sports. I forgot to put more specific. I think it's clear now. :)

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    it's ok ... I do rate him as #1 driver - a true hero "humanized" driver in every sense :thumbsup:

For example, Alan Prost was a "technical trickster" .... I do not like him - respect though

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #567 JamesBH11, May 4, 2014
    @lucas
    I am old ... I meant Gilles Villeneuve (not his son LOL)

Here is one survey of "Who is the greatest driver of the 80's"

Ayrton Senna 46.87% (1,117 votes)
    [​IMG]

Alain Prost 22.66% (540 votes)

Gilles Villeneuve 7.72% (184 votes)
    [​IMG]

Walter Röhrl 3.52% (84 votes)

Niki Lauda 3.32% (79 votes)

Nigel Mansell 3.15% (75 votes)

Ari Vatanen 2.39% (57 votes)

Rick Mears 2.27% (54 votes)

Dale Earnhardt 1.93% (46 votes)

Nelson Piquet 1.72% (41 votes)

Henri Toivonen 1.47% (35 votes)

Other: 1.13% (27 votes)

Juha Kankkunen 0.88% (21 votes)

Derek Bell 0.55% (13 votes)

Michèle Mouton 0.42% (10 votes)

Total Votes: 2,383

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #568 JamesBH11, May 4, 2014
    Sum up in STATS of all great Formula 1 racers of history.

NO doubt, Senna got the 2nd HIGHEST poles % of all- however Fangio only did < half of his number of races, and he was in much older generation

Was Ayrton Senna the Best Driver in Formula 1 History?
    [​IMG]

19. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I know this guy, not Michel. :) He was a very exciting driver. I've read and seen a lot about him.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah...
    If one goes with the head (stats and winning) then Schumacher, Fangio would be #1
    but if one follow his heart (feelins, tension, humanizer or pure skills) the Senna (with Villeneuve as honor) would be the one ...
    My 2 cents

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Indeed, Senna is a huge popular idol but Fangio is the greatest of all time. Senna is like an Elvis Presley to Fangio's John Lennon.

22. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Shame he's seen like that. Prost is a nice and quiet guy. And he was a genius too, as fast as Senna was in races actually.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you started ok and concluded BADLY LOL

Fangio was like a Jimmi Hendrix (in guitar solo 60's) while Senna was like a Van Halen of 80's.
    Schummacer was like Jimmy Page, Alan Prost was liek Eric Clapton

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    haaha ... a "french connection"

You got me wrong ... I meant in "driving skills"... Alan Prost was much more about techniques (computerrized Engine, shift gear, timing, memorize the path ....) and much more "CALCULATED" (trickster) then a "pure driving " effort of Senna (who never paid attention to car engine and technology ...per se

They were all Legends in Car racer (Fangio, Schummacer, Alan Prost and Senna )

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, to me Van Halen is even a better guitarist than Hendrix. Don't you find Hendrix's music gets boring after a few listenings?