Peguero traded.

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by bana2166, Apr 21, 2006.

1. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for helping out red bull. i have no idea why you made this deal. thiba is a donkey and peguero is a decent forward.

:rolleyes:

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is obviously the important part of the trade. Martins may suck but we got two picks next season and some cap relief for a player who was not adding anything to the team. I'm sure NY will learn quickly how Pedro loafs for much of the match. I'm fine with this trade and actually a little happy to get a first round pick for Pedro.

3. US_Soccer

US_Soccer New Member

May 24, 2005
  4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's all read the forum before starting our own Pedro threads.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesssssssssssssss.

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Good Bye.
    Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Good Bye.

Can't wait for his return to Colorado in a Red Bulls t-shirt. :D

Was going to write that I wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire. Then thought, nahh I sure as hell would spit on him.

6. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    as a big fan of Pedro i'm gladly happy for him since he is not too well love here. plus i think he needed some fresh air too.

7. The Grass Man

The Grass Man New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    On a soccer field
    yeah, lots of fresh air in New Jersey.

8. InExile

InExile New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Re: NYRed Bulls were all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero from Rapids........unti

N'ap we pita. I am also one who would like to see him stay but he does need to get his heart back into the game. He is a definite asset when he is playing where he wants to. If he doesn't want to be here we're better off letting him go and getting another defender for him. I'm not sure we need another forward. As far as I can tell we need to shore up the backfield. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong on this point. Just don't call me dummy.

9. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Re: Breaking News Update:NYRed Bulls all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero

Regarding Peguero, if having the ball bounce off your knee 20 feet away is "holding the ball", then yeah he was good at that. He'll be a superstar if he constantly gets service between 6 and 7 feet in the air. If the ball goes anywhere his foot....well....anyone ever hear the phrase "foot like a sheriff's badge".

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Breaking News Update:NYRed Bulls all set to acquire Jean Philippe Peguero

I'm not sad to see it happen. I've been inclined to support Pedro over the years, but he's rewarded that support by occasionally showing flashes and never delivering consistent effort. Aside from that, unless he's willing to run hard I don't want to see him playing alongside Kiro or Mathis, the teams slow enough as it is. Fabrice and Niko (yeah I know) for that matter, have shown a willingness to run and keep the defense honest. If Pedro were willing to do the same I'd change my tune, but he doesn't seem interested.

11. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    First and Third Round pick with a possible 2nd round up grade ...

Now I'm liking the deal.

Martins is a dude. And whoever said it provides cap relieve? Are you sure? Pedro didn't make much ... not sure about Thiago.

12. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Just thought I'd mosey over here and see what Rapids fans thought of the trade.

I think we really hosed you guys here. Martins plays with a lot of heart, but he just doesn't have a good final touch. He tends to kick it straight at the keeper too much.

RBNY has been looking for someone like Peguero who has a good header. With him up top, we can drop Djorkaeff back to give more service up top and Peguero can put his head to good use, McBride-style. That's the hope anyway.

Still, the Rapids did pretty well last year when most critics weren't expecting much. I don't doubt that your team is going to give people a run for the money. The Rapids tend to play like bulldogs.

13. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I ... haven't checked..

;)

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    In the short term, I think this is pretty clearly a win for NYRB and a loss for the Rapids. Martins doesn't offer much that Kirovski can't provide, and NY gets a quality forward to help Buddle.

On the other hand, if the draft choices are used well, it may end up being a good move for the Rapids in the long run. If Peguero was unhappy in Colorado, his trade value would probably drop the longer he stayed - so it makes sense to pull the trigger now.

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Martins (as I've said in many posts about is before) is absolute pants. However he can provide a relatively cheap form of depth for at least the rest of the year. So if FC is looking to bring in a striker Thiago would be the first to see the door. Your 1st and 2nd (or 3rd) round picks may be extremely valuable, depending on how well NY does this year and how good next years draft pool is. So enjoy Thiago while he blazes shots into orbit or shanks clear shots on goal over the sidelines. I only hope (and pray) that you don't have to see him for that long.

16. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think this is a great trade for the Rapids. Peguero is obviously a better player than Martins, but to get two high draft picks for him in addition to that is ridiculous. Kirovski was acquired for a 1st round pick, and Glen was traded for a 3rd round pick. Now, Peguero is worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick, plus Martins. Nice negotiating on the part of the Rapids GM.

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You will notice many here aren't too upset with the trade, especially myself. Pedro, was a dog on the pitch this season. So being able to unload his sorry arse is a good deal.

I do look for the Rapids to accomplish a lot this year. Don't judge by one lame match against a crappy Houston team. The overall picture is coming into focus and it's a masterpiece. :D

18. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    According to 2005 numbers, Thiago made $42,500 and Peguero $60,000, so that's not really much relief, even though I would bet Peguero's salary rose a little more for 2006 (if at all) than Thiago's. I don't think you guys were in much salary cap danger anyway.

19. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fixed your post

20. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    With Clint returning, I'm guessing Jovan and Fabrice get the start next week
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

it could be nico and jovan...

21. pepehyo

pepehyo Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Parker, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm one of the few people that like Pedro, I wish him good luck.

22. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Your mom told me :eek: (you just can't hold back the mom jokes for something like that! ) - yeah I'm 12 years old!

23. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First & third round picks... We always trade our picks away, so that's pretty good news. You think they did that to line up some fresh, new talent for our fresh, new stadium? *salivates*

...or so we can reload on picks to trade away... :(

24. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The overall picture is coming into focus and it's a masterpiece. :D[/QUOTE]
    Or less of a mess, anyway?

I didn't dislike Peguero, ( I'm actually glad they sent him east instead of to a western team) and I doubt Thiago will ever be a factor for the Rapids unless there are far more injuries than I care to contemplate.

But this is a major difference from 2 years ago, when we always seemed short of depth and mysteriously, short of draft picks too. We essentially traded our surplus Haitian for two pretty good picks. The Rapids' overall personnel moves have improved since FC came on board.

25. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Trading one bench warmer for another and a couple of picks. YAWN!!!!!