Peel Sessions

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by cj herrera, Oct 17, 2003.

1. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I own no Peel Sessions.

But I've heard quite a few tracks from them -- the Who, Hendrix, Pavement, endless, endless, endless.

My question is:
    Is there one label that releases all these? I seem to recall seeing a few that looked the same: Gray, with PEEL SESSIONS in big black letters, lots of text on the cover.

Or are they released haphazard by whoever screwed the artist out of the rights? I've done a cursory web search and I'm just coming up with a bunch of scattered sites and off-topic Amazon listings.

Also, if folks own great Peel Sessions they'd recommend, I'd like to hear that too. I recall the Hendrix tracks as being especially good. Are they all good, i.e. if you like the band you'll always like the live sessions? Or are some crap?

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I think there was a label that put alot of them out in the 80s, but other than that, they just license them out to whatever label the band may be on at the time. I could be wrong here, but I've seen it before.

3. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Strange Fruit is the label that released a lot of 'em the 80s but their deal was exclusive.

The Birthday Party and Joy Division Peel Sessions are two of the best I've ever heard.

4. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Meridian--if memory serves correctly, you've got 1st hand experience with said sessions, no?

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I own this CD:

[​IMG]