Peace Cup in South Korea

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jonny63, Aug 14, 2006.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA wins the Cup. We're damn lucky that they let red-carded players play in the next game.

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to catch the last 30 minutes on Eurosport. "Commentary free" which was a nice change. First class goal from Lilly. Solo's save in the 85th minute was brave. Canada did not really look all that dangerous, but at least they weren't fouling - just solid pressure.

3. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    USA defeats Canada 1-0 and captures the 2006 Peace Cup title. Congratulations to the ladies.

I do have one concern with the USA's style of play. Julie Foudy mentioned it in one of the broadcasts this year, and I agree with her, that they seem to be having the inability to possess the ball for an extended period of time. They have such an attacking mentality that they force things too much. Getting Shannon Boxx back will help greatly in that area I think.

4. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    Yeah, she really made the difference when she subbed in. Wagner is able to win those balls and serve them up, and that just didn't happen in the first half. Hucles was practically nowhere to be seen around the ball.

5. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as soon as she got in there things started to change.

6. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    Coach Ryan did what was a great strategy. After reading the reports and watching the first half (my stream kept freezing the second half so I gave up) it is clear to me that Canada played high pressure with long balls in behind the defense. We did not possess well the first half and kept sending long balls back to the forwards thus bypassing the midfield. The few times we did one and two touch we actually created some opportunities. This however was few and far between. When Ally got in the Canadians were tired apparently and this allowed her to have the time and space to work her magic. Had she been in there from the start with the pressure I am not sure the opportunities to do it would have been there. Plus, if I am a regular starter and found myself coming in as a sub, I would be hungry.

Congrats to the entire team because what was nice about this tournament is the fact the coach got everyone in with significant playing time in preparing for the upcoming qualifiers and eventually the World Cup.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good thinking by ryan, but risky. wagner is definitely a more precise passer than hucles, but she is not as fast and needs time and space. however making it easier for her by sending her in when the other team is tired, could have meant sending her in with the team already down by a goal or two.

i think hucles is a good player, but she does not have the passing ability of wagner or even lloyd.

i add my congratulations to the team. but i wonder:

how bad is abby's injury?

will she be ready for wcq's?

do the girls get all the prize money?

does ussoccer take all of it?

do the ladies just get a certain percentage?

8. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Well next up in 3 weeks at The Home Depot Center, the USA takes on the always tough TBA!
    TBA is on a hot streak and it should be a good test! If you want good seats get your tickets now as TBA is always a big draw! :)

9. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it's a worthy opponent, not ********ing Taipai. I want to see the England ladies or France come down and play the US.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Sweden coming over would make me smile..;)

11. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but we already beat them a few months ago.

12. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, that date is the semifinal of the Gold Cup, so it will be the winner of the Mexico/Trinidad&Tobago match. In other words, it will be Mexico.

The US has already played France twice this year, along with Germany, Denmark, China, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Australia, Japan, and Mexico. Six of those teams are already qualified for the cup and it's almost certain that two of the three other teams (Canada, Mexico, and Japan) will qualify as well. Taipai was the exception, not the rule.

13. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I was lucky enough to see the entire/uninterrupted video feed. This was the best prepared Canadian side that the USA has faced in a long while and the game could have gone either way. The US defence held up under a lot more pressure from Canada than they're used to; Lilly's goal was first class - and that was the difference.

Canada was missing a lot of their top players (notably Hooper, Nonen, Latham, Lang, Timko and to a lesser degree, Thorlakson) but Pellerud now has enough depth to still field a very strong team - so no excuses and full credit the the USA for a hard fought win. I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup.

14. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are these players (Hooper et. al.) injured or out of rotation? It would be big news if Hooper weren't a part of a Canadian team. She's been around forever.

15. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that you do not look at the International forum (or were you just being sarcastic, without the emoticon to go with it?) Just in case you haven't looked there...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424472