PDL: Cape Cod-Boulder [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cape Cod Crusaders won the 2002 PDL National Championship on Saturday night, defeating the Boulder Rapids Reserves by a score of 2-1 in front of a packed house in South Yarmouth.

Boston College senior forward Casey Schmidt scored the game-winning goal nine minutes into overtime, side-volleying a header that beat Boulder's Curtis Spiteiri at the near post.

Congratulations to the good folks at Mass Pro Soccer, and to head coach Paul Turner and his staff.

2. melmax

melmax New Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Somerville, MA
    I watched the second half of this game before tuning into the Revs- god, I love FSWorld- and there was some impressive play from the Crusaders. They had offense to spare!

3. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    I attended this game and it was a fantastic event. Both teams played intensely and well. Their styles were so different it was like a poorman's world cup game. Colorado played direct/fast/slashing/attacking soccer with lots of skilled tall players, Cape Cod showed a highpaced posession game with lots of creative play by much smaller players. The first goal in particular by Eric Reed was a world class 25-30 yard rocket into the upper corner taken under pressure from a strong defender. The Crusaders attacking midfielder, Felix Brillant, was superb, as was the pivotal defensive/holding midfield play of Ndlouv. What a contrast these two provided to the bland ineffective central midfield we are seeing with the Revs. The combined effort expended by both teams and the relative level of play was a credit to the sport when watched live.

4. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Someone mentioned Cape coach Paul Turner. He is one charasmatic character. Described by someone from the Home Counties as "completely Cockney", Turner has been a life-long West Ham supporter. But, he is always careful to point out, "all me mates are Millwall."

Fiery leader on the field. Inspiring on the bench. I'd like to think that bigger things lie ahead for him. He is quite the personality.