PC - Mac flamewar

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Foosinho, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linux is leap-frogging past Apple for the "number 2" postion in the desktop market:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php?p=77

Apple Macs are great. But evidently the "alternative" OS postion is being taken over by Linux, slowly but surely.

And Linux is gradually eating into MS's market dominence, especially on the business desktop side.

Finally, Linux is kicking butt on the server side, eating old Unix's lunch, and being a big thorn on the side of MS servers.

2. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I think much of this jeff has to do with the millions of pc users looking for an alternative to run on their hardware other than windows. It's a numbers game as far as hardware that can run OS's, I'm confident that if OS X ran and ran at speed on intel or amd boxes it would pass linux and windows. I believe linux is very good, and better than anything microsoft has ever come up with, but passing apple up isn't a big deal, since their OS is limited to their harware.

3. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool if Apple decided to sell an x86 version of OSX. But I think they're scared that it would kill their hardware business, and they don't want the extra development/support burden. It's a lot easier to make your OS perfect if you completely control the hardware it runs on.

4. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I'm positive that's the real reason too, because it's a well known fact that it can run on X86 hardware and Apple also has spent lots of R&D on a windows emulator of their own for macs too. I believe at some point you will see OS X on pc's, i think Jobs is waiting for the next falter by Microsoft (Longhorn). Personally i think they already have it running on x86 machines, but are waiting for a true death blow to the point of game over for Microsoft.

I'm not sure Jobs will ever forget the past. Microsoft has been the fat cat for far too long. I believe people are finally starting to understand they make average software at best, and dominate because people are afraid to change. Not because of their great software.

I think as you already know, many pc users are looking at alternatives to windows. That's a trend i don't see changing. In fact i think each year the number of linux users and mac users will slowly grow. Many just want things to work, without the extra work.

5. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
  6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy at ThinkSecret (Nick dePlume) apparenty violated NDA; but it was done in the spirit of good journalilstic enterprise... Apple's not villian here...MicroCrap & Gates do this all the time!
    [​IMG]

Apple's just trying to keep things in the family!

IntheNet

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're allowed out of the Politics forum?

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedom and liberty Chicago!! Remember GWB's speech?

IntheNet

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They let people like you into places like this? I'm all for freedom, but how about a boundary or five?

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: PC - Mac flamewar/NFL on i-Tunes!

I use a Mac... I think I qualify!

Check out http://www.apple.com today... Apple is putting NFL Games and Highlights on i-Tunes... new today.... neat!

IntheNet

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: PC - Mac flamewar/NFL on i-Tunes!

My only gripe is that it's not free like the presidential debates and state of the union.

Yeah, I realize that stuff is public domain and no, I'm not all interested in downloading game highlights, but giving them away would be a great way to advertise the non-music contents at iTunes and the NFL, and the benefits would offset any lost profit on the downloads.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Of course. But even Apple stuff doesn't run perfectly despite it's iron grip on hardware.

13. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Without Premium Hamatachi around this thread died pretty quick, you would almost miss him.