PBP Thread: Match #5, Saudi Arabia vs. Egypt, 25 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by Yoshou, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be honest, there are gradations of "unnatural position" I cannot claim i've ever entirely felt like I understood. Certainly ball-to-arm while away from the body. That's one of these judgment calls that can't be "obviously wrong" since there's nothing obvious about it one way or the other.

faiyez repped this.
  3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I recall, aren't both travellers and people who have to eat for their jobs exempt from fasting? It's been a while since I've studied the five pillars.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The degree to which these rules apply vary to how strict ones adherance is. Sometimes it is left to the athlete (several Muslim NBA players adhere to Ramadan even if they are playing), sometimes it isnleft to the team. From what I understand, Iran’s team elected to not adhere to Ramadan, but I haven’t heard about the teams/athletes from the other Muslim countries.

5. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I personally thought neither of the Saudi's penalties were actually penalties. The first one was definitely not a deliberate action, and the second one was either play on or a foul to the Egyptian defender (probably a yellow to the Saudi player for simulation).

Saudi were good for the win nonetheless, but definitely some very soft penalties being given this World Cup thus far.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Abdel Rahim Mohamed, a former player and coach, was working for Egyptian state TV, and was scheduled to appear on the postgame show. But he suffered cardiac arrest around the time Saudi Arabia scored a stoppage-time winner.

Mohamed was, according to reports, treated briefly in the building that houses state TV, then rushed to a nearby Cairo hospital. There, after attempts to resuscitate him, he was pronounced dead.

https://sports.yahoo.com/egyptian-commentator-dies-heart-attack-teams-world-cup-loss-141451703.html

Sad news. RIP.