PBP Thread: Match #19, Portugal vs Morocco, 20 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bitch, please - get the eff up and quit acting like you got punched by Stipe Miocic.

ShortyMac and monere repped this.
  2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My favorite Moroccan player in this tournament is Amrobat. Ziyech has done well too in this game. But Morocco need someone who can score.

monere repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Welcome to MLS.

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. monere

monere Guest

yeah, Morocco the champions of misses. I don't think they'll score at this WC, and I'm not sure I want them to anymore, either...

5. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo again....this is just unbelievable

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh they do.
    Unfortunately for him he scored for you team.

monere repped this.
  7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sick of players "requiring" treatment when all they're doing is acting injured to get their opponent in trouble. Freakin' sick of it.

The worst was Niang yesterday. Lays on the field, stops the match, trainers come out and take him to sideline. 2 seconds later he's running like a gazelle on goal when the ref calls him on. What a joke.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Portugal v Morocco 1:0 HT

Morocco had the first chance, but Ronaldo scored a nice diving header early in the game. I don't know why he was left without a marker?

Morocco have done reasonably well and created quite a few dangerous moments, although not too many clear cut chances. They do need someone in the box who can pose a greater danger. Their build up play is otherwise pretty good.

9. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT: 1-0.

Very surprised to see this score line. I thought the game would already be wrapped up for POR.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did that Landon Donovan commercial just suggest that the Mexico T-shirt he was wearing cost $150?

11. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I also really like Amrabat, great player

monere and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is how Portugal plays under Santos the last couple years.
    They grind things out for the most part and it rarely looks easy. Especially when playing against skillful teams.

JoseEmidio, Kamtedrejt and Stric_Matic repped this.
  13. monere

monere Guest

did you see Mane pulling the shirt of one of his team mates into Poland's box hoping his team mate would fall and draw a PK call from the referee? That was soooo.... I don't know how to call it.... it was odd, dirty, funny, and interesting at the same time :)

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have said this elsewhere: if Portugal didn't have Ronaldo, they wouldn't be any better than Morocco. In fact, I would bet on Morocco being up 2 goals by now if Ronaldo played for Morocco and Boutaib played for Portugal!

TheHitman47 repped this.
  15. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Morocco were kind of better i think but Ronaldo....

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i wonder if refs will now be more lazy knowing that VAR is always there.

the one thing i think VAR should always be used for is to see who is hugging on shirts on corners and free kicks. it is ridiculous the shit defenders get away with... bear hugging forwards... pushing their bodies into forwards and forcing them to move back, etc...

17. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    he had a marker.. his marker wanted to kick the ball but cronaldo put his face near his boots, risking getting his eyes and face cut open, but he scored it. only 1 player in the world will take such a risk: cronaldo.

18. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are MANY players who would take that risk. Ronaldo is great, but let's not act like he's some kind of of ironman putting his head in where mere mortals are too scared.

19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    lol... and if they didnt have ronaldo. they would look elsewhere for their production... they have the players to do it..

but guess what? they have ronaldo. so why not use him?

portugal would still be a very solid team without ronaldo..

Nico777 repped this.
  20. leao1918

leao1918 Member

Fortaleza EC
    Brazil
    Jun 17, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know the portuguese fans hate when people say this, since Portugal has some quality besides Ronaldo... but, I've got to be honest, today Portugal sure is looking like CR7 + 10 random dudes. Morocco was better on this first half, but they lack a good finisher.

TheHitman47, Iranian Monitor and monere repped this.
  21. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    lol the hate ronaldo still gets is hilarious

22. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Exactly, without Ronaldo, they really don't have that much individual class, and it seems like ever since Euro 2016 they've been playing a very tight, defensive, opportunistic, calculating style of football, letting their opposition have most of the possession and looking for counters.

Whether it's Spain/France or teams like Hungary, Croatia, Poland, Wales, Morocco, they're not nearly as nice to watch as they used to be, and they're grinding out unimpressive victories mostly.

Somehow, it's been working though. I swear they had extraordinary amounts of luck and things going their way during Euro 2016. They came really close to being eliminated in a group with Iceland, Austria and Hungary, drawing all three games, including barely clawing back to life in a 3-3 final game vs. Hungary where they trailed three times, I think. Then they got to the final by avoiding pretty much all of the 'big' teams left in the competition.

Not an entirely undeserving European champion, since they did show good defensive and tournament-deciding qualities, but far from a convincing one.

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i doubt that. cronaldo had deep pyschological shortcomings as a child. that is why he is so successful. most super successful people lack something and have an inferiority complex, and are highly childish and egotistical, so they work super super hard to succeed. basically they are narcissists. this is not just in sport.. it is in work, business, relationships, all aspects of life. cronaldo definitely fits that profile. i was not surprised when i recently heard that one of cronaldos united teammates said that he lost a ping pong match and got infuriarted and went and bought a ping pong table and practiced daily for 2 weeks then had a rematch and beat that teammate. the normal person would simply not care enough to do this.. but the narcissist wants to always be number 1. this is a good and bad thing: it is unhealthy behaviour, but it does translate into success. that is why cronaldo is perennially hungry for success, and he does succeed.

24. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal Playing like amateurs

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok - not sure what you're talking about. My only point was that many players woulda stuck their head into danger to get on that ball. Hell, John Terry, who's a trash bag of a human being, would have. As would pretty much every League One forward, etc.

26. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People overlooking Guedes and Bernardo ,come on its not only CR

27. monere

monere Guest

because he's repellent / hatable / unlikable / unpleasant (pick one)