PBP Thread: Match #19, Portugal vs Morocco, 20 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    European Champions

end of story

verde-rubro, RedBullSeven and NewLaw83 repped this.
  2. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No worries mate wish your team good luck on their final game :)

3. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Final game of the group stage? Thank you

4. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    You are mostly anti portuguese sentiment. portugal has consistently qualified. And it's reached the semi at 5 of the last 8 major championships ( world plus euro). Not sure why you are mentioning teams like England and the Netherlands considering we have out performed them at major championships over the last couple decades. It's as if all of your knowledge comes from wikipedia.

theFOOTBALLlover and NewLaw83 repped this.
  5. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    You are mostly anti portuguese sentiment. portugal has consistently qualified. And it's reached the semi at 5 of the last 8 major championships ( world plus euro). Not sure why you are mentioning teams like England and the Netherlands considering we have out performed them at major championships over the last couple decades. It's as if all of your knowledge comes from wikipedia.

6. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  7. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Sorry 5 of the last 9

8. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    A brand new t-shirt n all u had to do was replace real madrid with portugal.. even comes in white with black trim

9. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hey i dont complain

10. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Nor should any of us. Although I don't like the sentiment that ronaldo is a one man team, and i certainly don't think it's true; but he hasn't gotten any attacking support in these two games. Guedes has been less than useless and bernardo and gelson gave the ball away everyone they had it. We got rid of one nani and brought in two more. Andre silva should c some playing time cuz he is the only other guys who regularly scores for portugal.

11. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have high hopes for Guedes tbh
    He might show up in later stages

But its every team Ronaldo is in
    All and everything revolves around him

I also agree on Silva

12. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    Guedes looked quite good in the recent friendlies but soon as the big lights went on he started hesitating and making poor decisions.

13. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Its hard to play around Ronaldo

14. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a performance by Cristiano Ronaldo in this World Cup so far

15. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    dude I'm pointing out facts,I mentioned England as a big team because they have 1 Cup,Germany 4,Italy 4,Spain 1,where is Portugals WC cup,Euro cups got nothing to do with this
    this is a requirement in being a big team,don't try to project CRs individual achievements on the whole Portugal team.win a World Cup then maybe you can be considered a big dog,Netherlands have been consistent since the 70's reaching semis ,finals ,now you're going to tell me Portugal is better then them.come on,get off that pedestal,Why would I be hating on Portugal,I'm stating facts,they have never been a big team whether you like it or not.also WC >Euros.

16. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    fact? england won a world cup in 1966.. how does that make them great 52 years later? the dutch invented total fooball in the 70s? how does that make them great in 2018? it does not,

and explain to be what finals and semis the dutch are consistently making it to cuz i dont know what you are talking about

I also dont understand why you are dismissing the euros. most of the teams with a half decent chance at the world cup come from europe. there are even the teams that missed out on the world cup, such as italy and the almighty netherlands, are better than most other teams.

facts are portugal has preformed quite well since 2000 and for some reason you dont like it.

you need to stop using ur dads set of encyclopedias as a source. your very outdated.

All facts.

17. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #317 cabezamagica, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Facts Portugal reached 3 / 4 place in '66 and 2006 never won a wc cup which England did,explain to me how that' makes Portugal a big team.this is strictly WC achievement no Euros,that's all.Also your Netherlands confusion,they have come second twice,in top 4 in 3 wc ,this is in recent cups not just the 70's ,go to FIFA and check the stats,if you don't believe me.Portugal is a decent team but is not a traditional top dog.unlike you ,you're relying on sentiment my friend I've been watching the WC since 1978 so no encyclopedia needed,you on the other hand needs to look at the top 4 since since the beginning,3 and 4 place is your reality.

18. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  19. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    i am confused as to why you only want to talk about the world cup. euro is a top tournament, its like the world cup minus brazil argentina and uruguay.

portugal has performed better than the netherlands over the last 20 years, especially when you consider the times we knocked them out of tournaments (04,06,12).

i think that the problem with you is that you dont consider them a top team, traditionally. of course traditionally refers to how things use to be not how they are. NOW.. we are european champions.. and they are watching the world cup from home.

no offense to the dutch. i quite like the dutch and there football teams but this ancient relic of knowledge is insufferable.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  20. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am mystified by the lack of hype Portugal gets but I think it has to do with the lack of crossover players. I'm also mixed about this, because who cares? Watching the legacy build is fun. The teams with lots of trophies have bandwagon fans and haters, who needs either.

21. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    thanks but it's too late for luck now, we would have needed it in the previous games now this is a game without pressure for us. I just hope El Kaabi scores a goal and finds a club in Europe.

22. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    People are berating Portugal because Ronaldo is so much better than any other player there. So what? What matters, is results, regardless of the player responsible for accomplishing the results. Maradona carried an otherwise so-so Argentina to a World Cup championship, and did people berate Argentina for it? No, they remember that victory as an important one for Argentina. If Ronaldo carries Portugal to victory, the more the better. He has been by far the best one of the big names, so far, scoring all goals for his team and being responsible for their 6 points. Messi and Neymar were faded, colorless figures as opposed to Ronaldo. I hope to see a lot more accomplishments from Ronaldo in this Cup. One of the best parts of a World Cup, is seeing the star players in action, and so far, Cristiano Ronaldo has been the man who delivered. More power to him! Go Portugal!

23. Q_Eagle

Q_Eagle Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Jun 5, 2018
    LA
    This statement is obviously not true

24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Good point