Pauleta catching up with Eusebio and Torres

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I know for a fact the day that Pauleta pass's Eusebio in the all time scoring list, Eusebio will be there to be part of the festivities

Eusebio his a class act, we don't want to take anything away from the feat of Pauleta scoring over 41 goals, that's a achievement by itself,
    he needs 6 to surpass Eusebio

his also after Jose Torres record
    Jose Torres was the tallest player ever playing for the national team, close to 6 10, and one of the best strikers

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=616356&idCanal=488

2. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    thanks for the info and i want pauleta to do this badly hes one my fav strikers but hes almsost there and i think he will beat the record IMO

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  4. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    for me Eusebio and Torres will always be the two best strikers ever born of Portugal

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  6. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone know how many total goals Pauleta has..like NT, league play, Uefa etc? It can't be anywhere near what those two have?

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    two years ago he went over 100 goals in France, just in France his got be 150, but he also played in Spain

I'm also trying to get the Porto players like Hernani, **********, and special Fernando Gomes

8. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    The legend of a Black Panther
    EUSEBIO da Silva Ferreira was born in the province of Lourenco Marques, in Mozambique, East Africa on the 25th of January 1942. He was one of the first African footballers ever to gain prominence in Europe as a result of his stunning impact in Portugal in the early sixties.

The mention of da Silva Ferreira as a 'brilliant player' was made by word-of-mouth during a conversation between Bela Guttmann (coach of Benfica at the time) and his Brazilian counterpart from Sao Paolo. Impressed by the vivid description of EUSEBIO from the Brazilian coach, Gutmann embarked on a scouting voyage to East Africa. The legend of Eusebio is the story of a fierce battle for 'ownership' of the Black Panther (as fans affectionately knew him) between F.C. Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. He became the principal subject of a huge controversy and contract battle between both clubs. Despite the circumstances and amidst huge media frenzy, EUSEBIO was transferred from S.C. Lourenco Marques, the sister club of Sporting Lisbon, to F.C. Benfica immediately upon his arrival to Portugal in 1961. This marked the genesis of his professional career in Europe as well as his first international debut for Portugal against Luxembourg.

During the 1966 World Cup in England, EUSEBIO made a stunning impression on the British public. He emerged as top scorer, with a total of nine goals, including four in a single match against North Korea, helping Portugal to the semi-finals. He thus became one of the most dangerous strikers of his era. Today, he is still Portugal's all-time leading goal scorer, with 44 goals for the national side, and some consider its greatest footballer. He is a veteran footballer and pioneer for the only Benfica squad to ever defeat the legendary Real Madrid in the European Cup final of 1962.

During his 15 years careers at Benfica, EUSEBIO won several major personal and club honours. He won the European Cup in 1962, the Portuguese league in 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1974 and also the Portuguese Cup of 1962, 1964, 1969, 1970 and 1972. He was the Portuguese League's top scorer in 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970 and 1973 and was the European top scorer in both 1968 (with 42 goals) and 1973 (with 40 goals). His total of 46 goals in a single European competition makes him second only to Alfredo Di Stefano of Real Madrid (49-goals) on record scoring statistics. Overall, the Black Panther featured in 715 games and scored 727 goals. In 1965 he was voted European Footballer of the Year and in 1998 he was inducted into FIFA's Football Hall of fame and champions

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    if you can find other players static's post it for me

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    José Torres
    Goals
    National League

National Team

European Competitions
    won:
    9 Portuguese home titles
    3 Portuguese Cups
    2 Champions league
    1 top Scorer

Jose aguas
    378 goals in Benfica
    11 in NT
    Won:
    2 Champions league
    5 times top scorer of the Portuguese league
    7 Portuguese Cups
    5 Portuguese home titles
    1 top Scorer of Champions league

Fernando Gomes:
    318 goals in Portuguese chapionship with Porto and Sporting
    13 in NT

won:
    6 times top scorer of Portuguese championship
    5 Portuguese home titles
    3 Portuguese cups
    3 Portuguese Super Cups
    1 Champions League
    1 European Super Cup
    1 Intercontinental Cup
    2 times European Golden ball

11. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
  12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    great link, it looks like its italian

13. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    spanish :cool: ;)

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    correction its in Spanish

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    pauleta deserves it hes was and always be a intergral part of the nt look at what hes done incredible. bravo the curtain is down.

16. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Although comparisons can never be made between Pauleta and o Rei, it's great to see the "Cyclone" beat the record. (I'm assuming he will :cool: )

He's been heavily criticized, and I was one of his biggest critics during the Euro. I'm happy for him and deserves it.

Congrats Pauleta!