Paul Westerberg Live

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by NorthGoalGang, Aug 26, 2002.

1. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Saw Paul Westerberg's solo show in Northampton, MA Saturday night. Great show. He's louder and more rocking by himself than a lot of bands I've seen recently. Really dug deep into the Replacements catalog, and didn't screw up the songs as much as he usually does. Invited the crowd to come up on stage and sit on the couch. Fun time.

2. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I saw Westerberg a few times. When he was with the Replacements and one time solo. I like "Achin to Be," "Can't Hardly Wait," and "Here comes a Regular" in concert. His solo stuff is a little mellower type sound. I have his albums 14 songs and Suicane Gratification. "Things" off of 14 songs I like and "Whatever makes you happy" off of Gratification. I have not heard his Stereo and Mono album.

He can write great songs, but his production needs to rock out more on his solo stuff. He does a remake of Daydream Believer by the Monkees live at his concerts which sounds alright. The Replacements best album IMO is Pleased to Meet Me. Classic album and produced really well.
    He definitely made it in the business with his gravely type voice.

3. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Stereo is pretty mellow. Mono rocks. I was surprised how much of the heavy stuff he was playing live. The whole 2nd half of the show was really heavy, especially considering it was just him.

If you go to the show, get up front. Late in the show, he invites the crowd up on stage.

4. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    When I saw him a couple months he invited anyone who wanted to play tambourine up on stage - everyone paused for a second wonering if he was serious and then finally some large shaved-headed guy came down and played with him. The dude was a really talented tambourinist, as it turns out.

And I agree that Mono rocks. I would also say that the two album set is easily one of my favorites of the year so far.