Paul Tierney Man U Debut?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Nigel_Sausagepump, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Rumour in today's press that with Silvestre injured, Ferguson might hand Paul Tierney his debut against Middlesboro. I have to admit I didn't know he was anywhere near Utd's first team.
    Anyone know anything about him? (I'm obviously thinking someone to usurp Harte!)

This is the story on the wires.......

TIERNEY SET FOR UNITED DEBUT
    Irish under-21 international Paul Tierney could be in line for his Manchester
    United debut against Middlesbrough tomorrow if Mikael Silvestre fails to
    overcome the neck injury which forced him out of Saturday's 1-1 draw with
    Sunderland.
    Centre-half John O'Shea took over from Silvestre at the Stadium of Light but
    19-year-old Tierney is a more natural replacement at left-back and Ferguson
    could be ready to throw him in.
    Nicky Butt (toe) faces a late test, but Paul Scholes (ankle), Gary Neville
    (foot), Wes Brown (ankle) and Fabien Barthez (hip) are definitely out.
    New signing Ricardo Lopez joins the squad for the first time since his
    #1.5million move from Real Valladolid.
    Provisional squad: Carroll, Ricardo, Williams, P Neville, Ferdinand, Blanc,
    O'Shea, Silvestre, Tierney, Beckham, Keane, Veron, Butt, Giggs, Stewart, Pugh,
    van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer, Forlan.
    end

2. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Well, he was on the bench recently while Ferdinand was injured, so he seems to be their.....Neville, Ferdinand, Blanc, Silvestre, O'Shea, Brown, Neville, Tierney.........8th choice defender - although their only left-footer apart from Silvestre. And Brown and the other Neville shouldn't be too hard to get in front of, while Blanc hasn't got long left.

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Putting O'Shea at left back was strange, he has a great left foot for a right footed guy mind, and then then switched him with calamity nev who went left back. He's as good a chance as anyway and god knows we could do with another left back.