Paul Arriola at Swansea City (on loan from DC United)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Howard the Drake, May 2, 2013.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's some serious homerism. Morris has better field vision, ideas, & ball striking technique than Arriola. His per minute MLS production the last few years murders Arriola's.

Run fast, run hard, run straight guy in 4 seasons has won 2 MLS Cup, went to the finals the other 2 yrs. And internationally the last few yrs he's posted almost twice as good of a goals+assist average for the NT than anyone else adjusted for competition, while winning them the '17 GC, keeping them alive in WCQ'ing, & advancing them out of a hole in UNL.

If Morris was available in that fateful qualifier like Arriola was, he's not getting subbed at halftime, rather sending us to the WC.

But I actually think this move will go ok for Paul. Not as good as for Morris though. We'll see.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's going to be a serious sticking point in MLS making a lot of moves pre-lockout.

It's not a fair ask. You have to allow players to finish a season w/ a team and help them achieve their goals. In this case the upside is helping them potentially gain promotion. Then they could always return to their parent club to help them in(to) the playoffs. It's a practical win-win.

This is getting greedy to keep players as insurance policies for potential starts to seasons.

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take away the influence of Lodeiro and Ruidiaz on the right that open up the left side you don't get performance out of Morris. I also disagree that he has any field vision or ideas as I've not seen it - obviously anecdotal but L and R make everyone better. Including Morris. Let's see how he handles the Championship - I may be wrong, probably am, but I do think Paul is more versatile than Morris.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you make this argument when he does it with the national team too?

Who special is setting him up there & why can't anyone else take advantage to remotely the same degree, including Paul?

He's taking players off the dribble in any significant space these days. Did it against Uruguay. Getting to the endline, finding the open man. Making long switches. Combining. Back heels, chips, etc. At this point he has a better weaker foot than most.

This is grandfathering in opinion before he improved a lot from his college & early MLS/nat'l team days.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, probably. I don't watch Seattle outside of their matches with LAFC. I don't see him doing anything particularly extraordinary against LAFC. They get burned by R and L pretty exclusively. When he plays against LAFC it is get the ball over the defensive have him run fast from midfield and use his size to create space, rinse, repeat.

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider me very surprised if this gets done. Pretty cavalier of Arriola to play last night, especially against some of the hacks that were on the field for T and T. Herrera almost got his ankles caved in by one of their tackles last night.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to sound dismissive, but that's all I see from Arriola. That and hitting the ball mostly straight at the keeper, generally speaking (unless the GK has gone on walkabout).

Android Cat and wsmaugham repped this.
  8. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He must have had a bad game last night, he missed the keeper......twice.;)

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually only missed the keeper once, when he went on walkabout. The second caromed off the keeper's hands in the middle of the goal. I thought to myself after that second goal that almost any other international keeper worth his salt would have saved that one (and I'm not just making this point to conform with my argument).

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he needed the cap to count towards a visa exemption?

MtnGardener repped this.
  11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, very fair point that.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Paul, it sounds like this one is getting over the line. Great news for him and us YA fans.

Winoman repped this.
  13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    hasn't he played almost every game under Gregg?

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when healthy

16. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like the deal is done

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hopefully he can force his way in. Swansea fans I’ve seen on social media project he will just be cover. Lots of games to be played though.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes.

He has the most USMNT caps under Berhalter. Only games he's missed were Panama in the 19 Gold Cup when Berhalter was resting players, the September 2019 friendlies vs. Mexico and Uruguay and the two friendlies in November in Europe.

Of the 23 games Berhalter coaches the US, Arriola has played in 18. He didn't need yesterday's game for a work permit.

Winoman repped this.
  19. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Dike did.

21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, BostonRed and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a solid move. I think high-level Championship club is an appropriate level for Paul Arriola. At first blush, this move seems to put Jordan Morris and Paul Arriola in competition with each other for playing time (after all, both are primarily wingers in 4-3-3s in MLS and with the USMNT). But Swansea primarily plays a 3-5-2 with wingbacks and two forwards, so I actually think Morris will primarily line up and earn minutes as one of the two forwards, and Arriola is a great fit for a wingback role given his high work rate on both sides of the ball.

mike4066, ttrevett, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is kind of crazy.... two of our primary MLS starters transferring to the same team in the CL at roughly the same time. Really hope they solidify their spots on the roster.... it might end up paying dividends down the line for the USMNT.

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Reminds me of when Bocanegra and McBride both joined Fulham in the same January transfer window.

mike4066 repped this.