Parking question

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by OutKast3000, Jul 14, 2005.

1. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

But I am still pondering driving to Chicago for the Real Madrid doubleheader and would like to know where the best spot to park is as I will be leavinf right after the games.

I can't spend the night because I have to work Sunday Morning and it is about a 4 hr. drive -- so I will come in saturday morning and leave immediately following the game. Any tips/advice? I'll be drving through the Northwest/Rockford area.

I have been to Fire games before but the attendance has always been under 20k. I anticipate this will be a near sellout.

Thanks again.

Oh, and here is a treat for your help: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=fussball

2. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Considering there seems to be a lot of good 100 level tickets available on Ticketmaster, I wouldn't bet on sell-out just yet. Though the stereotype of Mexican fans relying on game-day purchases is not altogether inaccurate which could make things a lot more crowded than they appear now.

But, if you don't want to get caught in what might become a traffic mess, parking at the Cumberland L stop (huge garage), and taking the Blue Line downtown and changing to the Red Line may not be your worst move of all time.

3. dustbin

dustbin Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Marengo, IL
    Anyone know if the Park District is jacking up parking prices for this weekend?

4. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Probably, knowing them.

Also, there's a concert at Northerly Island (ladies and gentlemen, would you please welcome...JOURNEY!) starting at 7:30, with doors opening at 6:30, so parking may be jacked around because of that as well.

5. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Where do people park for those events at Northerly Island?

6. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    If it were me, I'd consider Metra from Itasca. I doesn't look to bad to get to the train station from I-355, but looking at the schedule you could grab yourself a sun times, a sammich and a forty and hit the 12:23 train. By the time you finish lunch you'll be pulling (at 1:09) into the nothwest terminal. Down the escalator, grab a cab to an SF area bar for fortification and a pee. Then stroll like a cosmo gent to the match. No worries.

Going home is basically the reverse (without the bar stops). Not knowing when the match will end exactly - I saw 5:30 start so figure about 7:30 finish - you should be okay. The outbound leaves same station at 8:40 and back to Itasca 9:21. I see available cabs often outside SF on North exits but hard to tell. If not, you'll need to walk back to civilization (nice walk but about a mile so plan 15 minutes) and grab a cab there.

People travelling into the city often find the prospect of leaving their car behind to be a frieghtening idea. And you'll no doubt find it frustrating to be standing at the platform for 10-15 minutes here and there while waiting. But you just need to remind yourself that if you were in your car, all you'd be doing is burning gas and creeping along in the stop and go. I can't see you getting in and out faster with a car. :)

7. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got to be at the Museum Campus also know as Solider Field so it'll be a real mess. That Fire double header, concert and museum crowd. Happy Happy Joy Joy. CTA it everyone.

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Does the following sound familiar? Actually the concertgoers will probably be the pissed-off ones as the soccer fans will be there first to fill the lots.

From the pavilion website...

The Chicago Park District's recent renovation of Soldier Field included two new garages for guests of Soldier Field, Museum Campus and the Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island. The North garage provides underground parking for 2,500, located directly across from the museum campus. South of Soldier Field is a double-deck garage providing additional and convenient parking for patrons.

Designated handicapped parking is available in every lot.

A shuttle service will be available from two different locations. One shuttle pick up will be outside Gate 14 at Soldier Field (the ADA turn-around). The other shuttle pick up is located at the north end of Soldier Field, off McFetridge Drive.

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    If you have a 4 hour dive, would you still be willing to park a 30 minute walk from the stadium? If so, you can find free parking on the street fairly easily. My honest opinion is that walking 30 minutes and leaving in your car takes about the same amount of time as parking for $20+ dollars in the lot and waiting in line to leave the lot.

10. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For locals, driving might still be okay, if, of course, you plan on going to the Fire game as well.

Let's say you plan on getting to SF at 1:30 or so, you will have little to no problem with parking (maybe 3-4,000 more than usual for a Fire game). The majority of the Chivas/RM crowd won't show up until 5pm anyways... so it shouldn't be a huge hassle.

The Journey concert parking will probably be taken care of by 7:30 when the RM match is over, since that is when the concert starts. The only major problem for Fire fans would be the traffic leaving the stadium, and getting onto Lake Shore Drive, probably off onto I-55 for most people. However, if the US-England match was any indication, that should only take 15 minutes, maximum, to drive down LSD, onto I-55, and, for me, onto I-90/94.

So... if you do drive, I, personally, do not see a problem with this.

11. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    There is also another event: An Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk which begins at... yup, you guessed it, Soldier Field that same day. Event starts at 6:30.

12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing better than parking in north garage inside, out of the sun, and being steps away from inside soldier field. I have no trouble getting out, although I would suggest getting up from your seats and walking toward entrance to garage a minute or two before end of the game. You don't have to miss any of the game because you can watch the game as you walk on concourse.No it's not cheap but are you planning on stuffing your coffin with money and taking it with you?

13. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I was under the impression that the North Garage didn't take cash -- you have to have a parking coupon or something?

I think that I am planning on parking as close to SF as possible -- because after a double header I'll want to get my butt home ASAP and won't feel like walking a whole heck of a lot. It is a four hr. drive plus any time sitting in traffic. Sitting in traffic sucks big time but it comes with the territory.

14. dustbin

dustbin Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Marengo, IL
    From the Sun-Times:

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    If you are going to arrive early enough to beat the traffic crunch on the way in, then park in the Waldron garage south of the stadium. Park on the lower level, close to the exit, facing out. The exit from this garage is only 200 yards from the entrance to Lake Shore Drive. You will be forced to exit heading south on LSD, which is perfect. Take that to 55S which will connect you right up to 90/94 in a few miles. The reason this garage is good, is that that exiting by car doesn't fight all the walking traffic that creates gridlock. The garage itself will become gridlocked, but if you park right next to the exit, facing in the proper direction, you can avoid that.

16. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    can I pay with cash at the Waldron garage?

I think that is the best solution so far.

I appreciate all of your help!

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    You can for standard Fire games. May be worth a call for this one. Also make sure you are in the far left (north) lane when you come east off of LSD into the south parking area.

18. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    do you know the number to call I couldn't dfind it.

19. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can definately pay with cash today, there's no need to call.

20. OutKast3000

OutKast3000 New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Thank you -- I apeeciate the advice. I'll be leaving in about 30 minutes for the 4 hour journey. Have a good time at the game if you are going.

Go FIRE!

21. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    To top it all off, there is an all night walk scheduled for that area also. Some suicide awareness thing. People I work with are setting up some sound and lighting in a parking lot around there and the stage and backstage area will consume some parking spots.

Who were the ad wizards who scheduled all this stuff at the same time?