Parker responds to UNCG's #1 ranking (if you care)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by uncgfan, Oct 20, 2004.

1. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    GREENSBORO -- Being the nation's top-ranked team didn't seem to add any pressure to UNCG in its first game since achieving the lofty status. The Spartans scored three goals in the first six minutes, including two by leading scorer Randi Patterson, in beating Wofford 5-0 on Tuesday night at UNCG Soccer Stadium.

With the ranking, the Spartans (5-0-1 Southern Conference, 13-0-1) became the first school in NCAA history to be ranked No. 1 in all three divisions. They won five NCAA titles as a Division III power in the 1980s and were ranked No. 1 in 1989 during their three-year venture in Division II.

"I think it sent some shockwaves that we're No. 1," said UNCG coach Michael Parker. "It's a bit of a surprise to us that we are No. 1. But it's well deserved. We've had a tough schedule and we've won them all. I don't think it surprised people that we were ranked in the top 10."

The Spartans led 4-0 at halftime and gave their starters the second half off for the effort. Parker said his players needed a solid first half in order to give them some rest.

"I was real pleased we had this type of game," Parker said. "This was our third game in five days. The players were tired. I wouldn't have liked to have played a big-time program in our first game as No. 1. We were happy to get the win and happy to get the rest."

It was the Spartans ninth win in a row and their fifth shutout in a row at home this season. Parker said he has placed special emphasis on defense this season in order to achieve the team's goals.

"One thing I've stressed is when it comes to winning sudden death, NCAA tournament games, defending tends to win rather than attacking," Parker said. "I would much rather win 1-0 than 5-4. You've got to be solid defensively if you are going to progress in the (NCAA) tournament."

Although Parker and his team talk about going to the tournament, it would be their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1998. Parker said the Spartans aren't focused on that right now. "The goal was to win the Southern Conference and then the NCAA would have taken care of itself," Parker said.

While the players appreciate being named the best soccer team in the country right now, they are not satisfied with just being there for a while.

"No one is really happy with it (just being ranked No. 1)," said senior midfielder Jeff Lochrie. "We have something to prove, but not just to the people in Greensboro but to teams like Wake Forest and Carolina. If we keep winning, then they know we are for real. It shows that we can be there and stay there."

Patterson, a sophomore, opened the scoring when he took a crossing pass from Lochrie with just 2:54 gone in the first half. After a goal by Egill Atlason, Patterson added another goal, his 13th of the season, at the 6:16 mark.

"We have a lot of young guys that are contributing right now," Lochrie said. "I think we can go far in the NCAA tournament."

Patterson said he hoped UNCG would flourish when he decided to leave his home state of New Jersey and play for the Spartans. "We have a great facility and a great coach," Patterson said. "I knew at some time we were going to be good. We just have to take each game one at a time and work hard in practice everyday to get that win."

2. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm too lazy to look it up. Can you tell me some the better teams they've beaten this season?

3. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Not In order:

Out of League:

Va Tech 2-1
    Clemson 2-0
    Wake 2-1
    UNC 1-0
    UAB 4-2
    Coastal Carolina 2-0
    Vandy 5-4
    Mercer 1-0

In League
    Davidson 2-1
    Furman 2-1
    ASU 5-0
    Wofford 5-0
    Ga. Southern 3-1

And the lone blemish:
    Elon 1-1

4. ACCSports

ACCSports New Member

May 7, 2004
    ACC Country
    UNCG is certainly deserving of #1 in my pro-ACC biased eyes. They are ACC regular season champions with results that are shocking to me, but therefore earn my respect.

5. jaques

jaques New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SC
    I agree...uncg will go far in the ncaa tournament.
    Keep it up!! :)

6. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    UNC-G will lose in the first second round of the tournament if they get any team from the ACC or the Big East. They have beaten average ACC teams early in the season and would struggle with UVA, MD and Duke or any of those teams they already beat, now they won't be taking them so lightly.

Respect to them for doing as well as they have but no trip to the Elite 8.

Any team that gives up 4 goals to Vanderbilt will suffer when the dance begins.

7. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US

Interesting that you have labeled Clemson as an average team. Well, they are average this year after all. How long will it last Sheep?

8. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill
    Clemson loaded the non conf schedule with Cupcakes and lost too many games to be called any thing but average.....

9. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill
    What is going on with all the cards......sounds like somebody has no class

UNGfan ....hope you have a story on this???

10. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    After an average year last year and a struggling season so far I think you will see Clemson return to the elite next year. They are the classic underachievers in the NCAA after losing crucial games in the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 they should never have lost.

I have respect for UNC-G in that they get up for the big games and cruise through their below average conference games.

11. Hodson

Hodson New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NE Ohio, USA
    So ACC is where the talent is?

Pardon the question, but I've been away from the collegiate game for a few years. Has the real talent left the Big Ten (Indiana, PSU)?

The last I knew anything of the ACC, UVA was the powerhouse. I suppose these things are transient as recruiting tends to make things so.

BH

12. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill
    Re: So ACC is where the talent is?

I guess some things never change

ACC # 1

top teams in ACC
    UNCG
    Wake
    Maryland
    UNC
    etc
    etc

13. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts

I hate to break it to you, UNCG isn't ACC, they're in the Southern Conference.

Nice to see Phil Long doing well.

14. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

TRY TO KEEP UP..........UNCG in undefeated in ACC play....thus winning the ACC......

But thanks for playing

15. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

I appreciate that you are new to the NCAA's "conference" organization, but since UNCG is not in the ACC, it cannot win the ACC or be "#1 in the ACC." You can only correctly say they are top of their conference, the Southern conference, and also that they are undefeated against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference. I'm guessing you are a freshman, so we'll give you one full semester to get the gist. But no more than that. ;)

Follow along with the basketball season there and you will be inundated; shouldn't take you long to pick it up.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

You're an idiot.

Did they kick you out of England?

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

What is it they say about unintentional comedy? Well, it's true in this case.

18. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004

As they say in Blues Brothers -- "Wrong Glass, Sir"!!!

I guess Ireland is in England as well, instead of the United Kingdom? :D

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Classic.

As is the next line (after they eat and drink like pigs): "How much for the little girl? The women. How much for the women?"

BTW, who said the above line about the glass?

20. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

I thought you were the big shot on BS.......Do you really think there is anyone on BS that does not know UNCG is NOT in the ACC.......

Dont be a dumb A$$

BUT they have beaten every ACC team played so they are winning the conf.....joke joke....and if you read the UNCG thread ...UNCG had already made the reference........and just because you can look up stats does not make you an expert on the game

But since you are held out to be the expert what is your opinion on strength of schedule versus scheduling non conf CUPCAKES like Duke.......ran up a winning record on......

21. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004

Wasn't that Pee Wee Herman at the restaurant, Chez Paul?

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I have NEVER claimed to be an expert on the game.

Informed? Yes. Expert? no.

My opinion on this matter has been stated many times in the past, often in regard to Duke.

I'm always in favor of playing a harder schedule and am glad the NCAA selection committee - those are the folks who decide who gets to go the the playoffs for the team's that don't win automatic bids ;) - is starting to emphasize SoS over number of total wins.

Last year, Hartwich was left out of the tournmanet because their SoS wasn't as high as a lot of teams with far less impressive records who got in. (NC State and UConn, among them.)
    I don't remember which year it was, but a couple years back, Duke got left out of the tournament despite a winning record because their SoS was so weak. I would have thought they would have learned from this but I guess not and I just didn't see the point in chiming in on something I'd railed about repeatedly in the past.

23. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

Thank you ...I did not see your earlier post on SoS......

In addition to invites to NCAA it is much nicer for the fans to see their favorite side play a ranked opponent .....I read a UVA supporter say that they did not want to take leave from work to see their beloved UVA vs CUPCAKE U......and I am sure most supporter would not want to watch a
    10-0 victory like Duke had over a D3 side

I would also say that the player feel the same way

Thank you for your input

24. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

You've got a pretty good reputation going, UK. Keep up the good work.

BTW, how old are you, 18? 19?

25. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

18 .....thanks