Paris Football Club

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by hypolithe_forever, Nov 22, 2006.

1. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    a good counterbalance to psg would be nice (although it does a good job checking itself without help :( ) however, even though getting a club with a more popular fanbase (like redstar) could create a new "clasico" and more excitement, i really fear for the inevitable clashes between the supporters. remember the violence between the red star (ex tigris) fans and boulogne boys last season.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Redstar have a lot of work to do because they are in the CFA. The cant just finish in the top 3 they have to win their group to go up unless theres a 'B' team/youth team ahead of them. PFC have the leg up on them in that respect. Even when Redstar where in Ligue 2 and the National in the 90's their attendance wasnt great.

3. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    if you're replying to my post, then to clarify, i wasn't addressing red star in particular :) rather, any club that seeks to establish an identity based on the eastern areas of paris or less wealthy banlieues (both north and south) will inevitably have problems with the more extreme individuals of psg's support. as cited, it's happened before not only in the club but outside, after the tigris officially quit psg. That said, the majority of sane people probably want them to do well, and why not? It'd be a great sporting event. But in paris there are more than a few bad apples :/

best of luck to them for the upcoming season

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well I have no idea of the quality of players PFC have been bringing in this offseason. I guess their goal is promotion next year but I dont know how realistic it is. If any of these Parisian teams makes it to Ligue 1 there's no doubt they will draw decent crowds. I read that Parisians wont support teams in lower divisions hence the mediocre attendances. Charltey in Ligue 1 on a regular basis wont be half full or less than half for any team. I dont think anyone believes that.

5. hypolithe_forever

hypolithe_forever New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
  6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting...because PSG is still trying to be a big club in Ligue 1
    and then advance to Europe big dog. I'm still scratching my head as to
    how on Earth, the city of Lights doesn't have PSG in the UEFA Cup and/or CL every year, with wealth and attendance???

7. hypolithe_forever

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
    PSG is in crisis since the beginning of 2000s. But there is a big club for the French championship, as Newcastle in England, Atletico Madrid in Spain or Napoli in Italy.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NUFC haven't won a 1st div/Premiership trophy since 1926 or FA Cup since
    1955! I know they have a big stadium and may spend a lot, but um, ok.

9. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    a lot of it is really poor planning. also remember psg is a fairly young club and taking into account an already remarkable history, IMO maybe the club hasn't had the opportunity to sit down and learn it's lessons. considering the exodus of talent away from the league, it's strange to think that the club JUST realized building a top-class academy to train youth. If one adds that with some horrible transfer decisions, then the inability to maintain the success of the 90s is logical.

At least now with Cayzac and PLG, the focus has decidedly changed both because it has to (tighter finances) and because they want it to (to emulate OL). Guy Lacombe also wanted to have more emphasis on youth but, well, he wasn't capable of handling the post.

10. hypolithe_forever

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
    I think that it is passion which makes a club great. ;)

That's why NUFC is a great club.

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    According to that standard, I completely agree.
    For the record, I have tons of respect and love passionate supporters;
    no matter what club they play for and the league doesn't matter either.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I read that around 500 people showed up for the first home match at 20,000 seat Charltey. You arent gonna win promotion with such a poor home field advantage.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WOW, that is shocking! Either all those other footie fans
    are over at the Parc des Prince or Parisians just don't
    care that much about football?

15. Allez Lyonnais

Allez Lyonnais New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    TX
    I think it's the former. PSG are so big that there's no ground for other clubs to plant their feet on, even though Paris has the population to support more than a single club. Kinda like what's going on in Marseille where there's this one gigantic club and no others.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, but they (PSG) still are awful. I just don't get it.
    Could it be I really don't know anything about football or Ligue 1 or
    the French?

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Paris FC beat Pau 2-1 in Pau. 6 pts. from 3 matches. Next week against Cannes(Zidane's old team) is their 2nd home match.

18. hypolithe_forever

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
    Concerning the influx of the first match at home:

- We are in period of holidays in France and Paris is empty.

- Paris FC didnt enough communicate on its move, 99 % of the amateurs of football dont know that the PFC plays in Charlety.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Are you gonna go to any matches ?

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nancy needs two teams. Maybe 3 in the top flight.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PFC's official site says 300 spectators for home match 2-2 draw with Cannes.

22. hypolithe_forever

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
    I will.

For the games against the other "Parisians" at Charlety and away

Entente SSG
    Villemomble
    US Créteil L.
    Beauvais

For the game against Rodez (My family lives near Rodez in Aveyron and I play for the club of Aveyronnais of Paris)

Maybe for the "big games" against Nîmes, Laval or Tours.

23. catrachodanes

catrachodanes New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Sorry to "steal" the thread for a second, but I have a question which I cant get any answer to: Where/how do I buy shares in PSG?
    TY

24. hypolithe_forever

Jul 10, 2006
    Créteil - France
    You can't.

In France only Lyon is on the market

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Paris FC beat Toulouse 2-1 in the Coup de France.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/January/7/third-division-paris-fc-cause-french-cup-shock/

Third division Paris FC beat Toulouse, who played in the Champions League qualifiers this season, 2-1 on Sunday to cause the biggest shock of the weekend in French Cup action.

The amateur side, coached by Jean-Guy Wallemme who captained Lens to the 1998 French league title, earned their passage to the next round, joining Lyon, Paris Saint Germain, Marseille, and Auxerre in the last 32.

French first division strugglers Lens, coached by former international striker Jean-Pierre Papin, however slumped to a new low on Friday when they were dumped out by second division Niort.

For Paris FC, victory at first division Toulouse put them on the map.

"This success will get Paris FC talked about more because sometimes we have trouble holding our own alongside PSG," said Wallemme. "The attention this victory has brought is super for everyone at the club."

Toulouse captain Dominique Arribage scored an own goal on six minutes but his side were back in the match just a minute later thanks to a header from midfielder Moussa Sissoko.

Paris FC had to wait till an hour had gone for the winner however when Pape Sarr found the net.

Toulouse had several clear-cut chances but were unable to convert them into goals.

"We had the chance to kill the match in the first half and we were not able to do so," said Toulouse coach Elie Baup. "We payed for that lapse."