Panzers

Discussion in 'History' started by The Old Lady Hertha, Dec 30, 2005.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And why they went up so quickly after being hit. A Canadian tank commander in Normandy stated you had more time to get out of a diesel tank if it were hit than a gasoline tank.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The reason Shermans went up was because the ammo was stored unprotected high in the sides. After a while they started placing sheets of appliqué armor on the sides right where the ammo is stored, as you can see in this picture:
    [​IMG]

Later Shermans moved the armor down to the floor inside an area surrounded by water.

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yet a tank doesn't have to brew just because it gets hit by a shell in it's ammo storage. The nicknames give to the Sherman can easily be applied to the gasoline since gasoline is known to be quite volitaile. The allies knew this but didn't want to switch to less dangerous diesel since it would create logistic problems. Even with that, a large chunk of Sherman tanks had diesel engines.

This is why tanks, AFV's, and trucks of today run on diesel than gasoline. Easier to obtain and not as dangerous.

4. LordR

LordR Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Germany
    Probably the biggest Panzer/tank ever: The "Maus" (mouse) was constructed by famous engineer Ferdinand Porsche and weightet 200 tons. Unfortunately, it was almost useless because it was too slow and heavy to move on the battlefield. But it looks quite impressive:

[​IMG]

here's the english wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    And so quickly!

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And this was bulit by Porsche!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

7. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Actually there may be an account where this was actually used in the Battle of Berlin. I'll try to find it.

You have to wonder the name though..."Maus"???

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As the VW beetle...
    Just realising, I see a connection in the kind of names...

9. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Out of curiosity, which country has the best tank now?

10. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    M1 Abrams is a good tank, but I like the Leopard II the Germans have. Looks like a good tank, even if it hasn't really been tested in battle.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a military discussion

This guy thinks the US M-1 is the best, with the German Leopard 2 and Briish Challenger 2 close behind. According to the article, during Desert Storm, a Challenger took out an Iraqi tank at 5 kilometers. An M-1 was stuck in the mud, took repeated hits from T-72s, and not only survived but took out the Iraqi tanks.

As for me, I don't know. My ROTC experience ended before I got into a tank. My father was infantry and very much against the whole tank business (two things he told me when I considered becoming an Army officer -- (i) wear your flak jacket (his life was saved by one in Korea) and (ii) stay away from tanks).

12. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

Wow.

13. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    Yeah, but in fairness most modern western tanks against a T72 would be rather like sending something like a Chieftain or Patton into western Germany circa 1945.

I'm rather surprised that website mentioned above ignores the Merkava though. True, it's a very theatre-based tank design, but it happens to be a pretty good one. That said, in all honesty most modern 1st world designs aren't a million miles away from each other - if you start ranking them you end up having to be like gymnastics judges and go to the 4th decimal place! :) And it is, of course, all too easy to get hung up on rankings. 1940 French tanks were "the best in the world", and one-on-one, who would dispute Panther or Tiger against Sherman or even T34? Yet I can't help noticing who won there...

Anyway, just to get this vaguely back on track, didn't the Swiss keep using redistributed panzers (or Jagdpanzers, at least) until fairly recently?

(reading this thread reminds me, I really must go back to Bovington sometime soon...)

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Panthers or Tigers one on one against T34s? I'll take the T34s. :confused:

15. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    Each to their own Nice, but while I am an avowed fan of the T34, under the often-rumoured-but-never-seen optimum conditions everything I've read and researched - although I'm not claiming universal knowledge here by ANY means - shades it to the Panther. Superior frontal armour, gucci kit on board... granted, the side armour was almost criminally thin in comparison, and the mechanical problems were never, I think, completely ironed out, but even so...

16. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Many nations continued to use Panzers. The Finnish, Swiss, Austrian and Italian armies continued to use some Panzers (don't know which models). The last known use of a Panzer were the Syrians in 1967 against the Israelis, the PzKpw IVs were used by the Syrians against the modern Israeli tanks.

17. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1967, Israeli reserve units also supposedly used some old Shermans upgunned to 105 mm.

18. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    That is about the coolest factoid I have ever read about military history...I had no idea. Herr Porsche would have been very proud...

19. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    as far as I know the Swedish Leopard 2s are better equipped than the German ones, while the Dutch are as good as ours. the Austrian and Spanish are a bit older afaik.
    Isn't the abrams built with German engineering (the guns)?

20. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  21. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    Yeah, funny. :) I remember seeing a Japanese comic (or was it a cartoon) where WW2 was actually fought with mechs. They all had the same name and rough characteristics as the tanks though. It wasn't too bad either. Not a classic, mind, but it passed the time.

22. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct sir. The cannon on the M1A1 is german made.

23. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I always loved the look of the jagdpanzer
    [​IMG]

I don't know if it was the military channel or the history channel, but probably over the new year's weekend, they were running a series of "The 10 best ...", and the T-34 came in first. Production was a key factor in its ranking, as was reliability and ease of maintenance. I think the only reason the M1 Abrams (#2) didn't win was because it has never really been tested in an all-out tank battle against relatively even competition.

Asfar as the Panzer, it wasn't even ranked as the best German WWII tank. That was the Tiger, whose only blemish was again the poor production (heck, don't German engineered cars still get blamed for over-engineering and difficult production and maintenance?)

24. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ

"I don't know why you're talking about Sweden ... They're the neutral one. They don't have an army." - President George W. Bush, December, 2002