Panic's Pizza Thread revisited

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by panicfc, Aug 29, 2002.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You and my cousin have some serious issues.Nobody and I mean NOBODY puts BBQ on pizza. :rolleyes:

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to the move to Connecticut, I was just like you. But having eaten it and rejoiced - BBQ chicken Pizza ROCKS!

Plus its my thread and I am Pizza.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Places I have eaten pizza:

Houston, Texas - 1975-1985 - Panjo's Pizza. Once drove up on a Friday afternoon to eat pizza their that night. Alas, they are no more.

Denver, CO - well somewhere in the mountains..BeauxJo's or something like that. Great crust, and you could dip your crust in butter or honey like a dessert.

Chicago - Pizzaria Uno

NYC - too many places to remember

Cincinnatti - LaRose's - not as good as built up.

St Albans, Vermont: Can't remember the name of the place, but it was good.

Cape Cod, Mass: 1 Pizza 2 Subs - not as good as CT, but decent. Domino's level

London, England: Pizza Express...adequate

Gorinchem, The Netherlands: Two guys from Turkey made an awesome pie.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Cheapest great pizza ever. Had a huge personal pizza (12 inches) for about $3.00 with a COKE! (the drink, not the drug)

Paris, France: Some place near the Eiffel Tower. Excellent

Paris: Some place near the Bastille, I think it was "Mars Pizza" - excellent

Lugano, Switzerland: Great pizza, served by nice Italian guy in the town square. (Great city by the way)

Venice, Italy: good pizza, service was poor and pricey as expected.

Florence, Italy: Off St. Marks Square - great pizza but funnier story was my nephew ordered Riso quatroformaggio - Rice with 4 cheeses. Why?

Moutain place in Italy - had pictures of the Pope eating pizza, nice place, great pie.

St Etienne, France: World Cup trip - found the only open pizza place in town after Chile' v Austria. Ate like kings for less than $10 for 4 people.

Brussels, Belgium: Near Ibis hotel at St Catherine's square. Good pizza, but pricey.

I think that is all of them.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok, out of respect to you, tonight after the DC United/San Jose game I'll go to Mario's and try some BBQ Pizza. My cuz has been after me to try it for two seasons now. Being a pizza purist I've declined. But I'll give it a shot. I hope nobody sees me. :p

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chico,

If Mario's is the best around, then it should be fine.

I have to tell you that the first time I tried it I was taken over. It's really that good.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Holy delicious food, Batman! I just ate there yesterday! In Idaho Springs! I got a thin crust called The Perfect Bird (I think). It had chicken, sprouts, and Thai peanut sauce. Good stuff I must say.

If you need chain Pizza near Denver, Blackjack Pizza is good and cheap, if you have coupons. They send me stuff all the time and I take advantage occasionally.

If you're in LoDo, Denver, Two Fisted Marios makes huge slices that are very good. Get there before 1 am, or the line from the clubs will be a block+ long.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEY JEFF!

Idaho Springs! That was the place - in the mountains right?

I'll be in Denver for a wedding in October, land on the 4th, wedding the 5th, fly out the 6th.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Alright, I admit it. It was pretty good. But I was still savoring United's 4-2 whooping of San Jose. :)

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you liked it.

Last night we tried "Randy's Wooster Street Pizza" in Southington- blah.

They had sweet pepperoni, and the sauce was missing, cheese bland. Not good. Service was poor - we waited 15 minutes for our bill, then asked for it

Had to pay at the register and they had three people waiting to pay, and no one at the register. Sad.

Will not go back.

10. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Alberto forgot John's Pizzaria down on the Bowery. Thanks to DragonFly for the pickup.
    Uno is okay, but I prefer Giordano's if I'm hitting the chain-action. I just prefer their butter-based crust. Lou Malnati's is always worth your while too.

Here in NY I'm stuck with the Uno, so it works when it has to, but I prefer others.

Panic, as for NY being #2 in the world, I think not. It's the floppiness that I just can't stand. My pizza needs to stand out straight and not fall over when I hold it out. Crispy is key.

Had the worst pizza in the world when I was in the Chicago last weekend. Combo liquor store-pizza, but it was 2 am, so no time to be picky. Still, yech!

Now that you've put me in the mood, I think I'll do John's today...

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Yup, Idaho Springs is in the mountains, about 30 miles east of the Eishenhower Tunnel. Good stuff I must say at BeauJo's. Next time I go I'll try the huge crust stuff they are famous for.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the stuff we had. I've heard the other Beaujo's in Denver are crap.

13. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Well you deserved that.

You went to London and couldn't find a proper Italian place?? They really aren't that hard to find.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a Londoner bring me there. I wasn't impressed, and he has had Mark Twain in New Orleans so he knows what is good pizza.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok fair enough I'll let you off then. But dump your friend, he's obviously worthless.

I guess as Pizza chains here go, it's the best (which isn't saying much). I can't put up with the deep pan sh!t so 'Hitting the Hut' is never an option, unless I happen to have a surface to surface missile handy.

Proper thin crust is by far the best style, but Pizza Express is over priced and the pizzas are too small. However their doughballs and garlic butter are a decent snack.

Next time you're over here tell your 'friend' (if he still holds that position) to find a proper Italian restaurant place. There's loads, and vastly superior to anything that tries to be real Italian.

Unlikely, but if anyone ever has the misfortune to be going to Stoke On Trent (UK), there's a great Pizza place opposite the old Royal theatre (can't for the life of me remember it's name though).
    Great food and the comedy aspect of the owner looking more like Brando in the Godfather, than Brando in the Godfather.

Question: Anyone like an egg baked on the centre of the pizza (obviously this makes the pizza for those that prefer to use a knife and fork)?
    A nice little twist if some haven't tried it.

16. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Egg on center of pizza? Nope, but I've had breakfast pizza, which is essentially egg, cheese, and meat of choice on a pizza crust. Pretty good most of the time.

17. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah that sounds pretty much it.

But the egg is cracked onto the raw pizza before baking and it comes out a little runny so that when you cut into it there's a little yolk to give the meal a bit of liquid.

And that's another reason why Pizza Express is sh!t. I asked them to put an egg on my pizza and they just put a load of sliced hard boiled egg on top.

Don't think it's a particularly British thing because I first had it when in Italy.

And neither do I agree with BBQ stuff on pizza and chicken does not deserve a position on a pizza.

18. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I was always a big fan of Modern. The pizza is excellent and you don't have to wait in line for an hour.

Although you can't go wrong with the pizza at any of the New Haven places, it just depends which place you like the atmosphere best IMO.

19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Papa Del's is easily the best for Chicago style. I like Prime Time's stuffed pizza (the regular pizza isn't so great) and they get extra points for good calzones.

But you can't get good "normal" pizza in this town...

20. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

100% agreement, that is why springfield rocks with its luca's pizza

luca's is the best... bar none

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) Is there any tomato sauce on the breakfast pizza?

2) BBQ - I wouldn't eat this in England. Come over to Connecticut and I'll take you out.

Trust me...BBQ is awesome on pizza.

22. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right, so I cheated a little tonight by beginning with a Boboli crust that was lying around the house.

Then I made my own sauce with tomatoes straight out the garden, and laid on the fresh mozzarella, garlic, and sliced up green peppers (again, right off the plant).

You should all be so lucky.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't hear my phone ring? I would have come over.

I like Boboli crust for nights like this one.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost forgot, there's a place in Long Island next to Americana Shopping Center. It's called Joann's Pizza Gourmet or something like that. My favorite is the buffalo wing chicken pizza. Basically they just shred pieces of buffalo wings and put it on a pizza. Then you cover that bad boy with bleu cheese. It's amazing. They also got some other kinds that are good.

25. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... that's 10 minutes from my office.