Panic FC says New Orleans for expansion

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by panicfc, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Can we put the cannon behind the goal and have the Mardi Grooligans fire it whenever they want?

Sachin

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think after goals by the home side.

Thinking of names...
    Crescent City Rockers

New Orleans Party

New Orleans Crime
    New Orleans Death on a Sunny Afternoon

3. hio1515

hio1515 New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New Orleans
    I like the idea of using Crescent city instead of new orleans. It would be cool if they could keep the gamblers. Crescent City Gamblers sounds wonderful to me.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Give the cannons to the supporters clubs. They'll just have to pay for the ammo.

What about a roof designed to echo the crowd noise?

Sachin

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does have a nice ring to it.

Downside: gambling is not a positive in the marketing game.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roof is part of the plan, but won't be available at the start.

Cannon: Not sure about letting supporters fire cannons.

7. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Why not? It could be fun and interesting! :)

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember - this is New Orleans. The city that lead the nation in murders. I don't want the wrong people supporting the team so they can blow someone away with our cannon.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Dude, you don't put cannonballs in there... just something that makes a loud boom and lets of a lot of smoke.

Sachin

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude,

you don't know New Orleans.

People might put crawfish shells, poop, human poop, rocks, bullets, beads, vomit, etc - the FIRE!

Might not be a bad idea. Okay fans control cannon.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Also King Cake year round!

If it's from Haydels, I'm there. Might take more persuasion if it's from McKenzie's

I think I could come up with a good stadium plan :)

The Magpie

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm Haydels. Better yet - Randazzo's!

McKenzie's went out of business before I moved.

13. hio1515

hio1515 New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New Orleans
    King cake sounds great. That could be a marketing thing. It would be the only place to get it out of season. Also what about Breakers as a team name. It sounds all right and since its a reference to the levees it actually has some connection to the city.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to bring back the "Storm" name. The weather stuff plus I have a lot of ideas I never got to use.

Storm Cake - sponsored and made by Randazzo's bakery.

Colors, black,purple, and silver.

15. hio1515

hio1515 New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New Orleans
    Were those the colors of the Original Storm? I don't remember. It would be a good change as far as uniforms. There is way to much green and teal. Tulane, the Brass, the Hornets, and the Zephrys all use one or the other or sometimes both and it kind of gets boring.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep - black, purple and silver. However silver became white when it came to uniforms.

Don't forget the Jazz wore purple, green and gold.

17. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Any chance of getting a USMNT friendly to Tad Gormley?

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    A better gauge of support might be an MLS friendly or two. I lived in NO about 10 years ago, and there was a large Hispanic population on the West Bank. If they played a NT friendly, it would have to be against FYR Macedonia, Russia, England, or some other European team. A game against Mexico or a Latin American team would cause the same problem they have in LA or places like that; being the "away" team in your own country.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point - would have to be European or Carribean team for friendly.

A couple of years ago USSF wanted to test market for Men's Nats, then bigger stadiums took off and they went that route.

Gamblers v US U 23's in 1996 - 13,600

20. ryquick

ryquick New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Louisiana
    I live in the suburbs of New Orleans and the people that live in the suburbs are pretty loaded. Also the kiddy population around here is huge so if NO got an MLS team if they marketed it the right way....

The major problem is humidity and mosquitos. Playing games at night won't make any difference, its just as humid at night as it is in the da, and with the threat of West Nile and mosquitos and that sort of thing people might not want to watch or play.

They would have to compete with the Hornets early in the year, which will get lots of coverage, the Zephyrs which have really done well to market towards families in the middle of the year, and the Saints(and LSU) at the end, who have both been doing very well lately.

IMO I think an MLS team would do better in many other places, but it coul work with a lot of work.

21. ryquick

ryquick New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Louisiana
    Then again if a hurricane that is a Category 2 or above actually hit NO the city would be gone. In the fifteen years I've been alive, all of which have been in and around NO, I have never seen a big hurricane actually hit the city. TS Isidore created huge problems and it was only a TS. On that note Breakers would be good, like the old USFL team, and thy could be blue black and slver instead of purple black and silver. In the fall if they played on Saturday it would, in my opinion be VERY important to schedule their games properly. At 7 PM on Saturday night the entire state is focused on LSU. It would kill them to play a game on Saturday night.

22. ryquick

ryquick New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Louisiana
    The team could take the name from ULL and call themselves the Ragin' Cajuns. Instead of New Orleans Ragin' Cajuns they could maybe be Acadiana Ragi Cajuns? Also the name Gators is a possibility as is anything to do with Voodoo or pirates.

23. ryquick

ryquick New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Louisiana
    And one more for money-

The NO metro area has more parochial schools than anywhere else in the country, one of which I go to. Some of those schools(Newmn, Jesuit, and many others) have tuitions that are either A) Higher than college tuitions or B)Just as high as college tuitions. Plenty of people have money I'd say, though there are VERY VERY many that are poor.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the Termite invasions.

As for the mosquitos all they need to do is get some of those torches set up, and spray the place and bugs be gone.

25. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    A soccer team here would flop miserably. The only way the attendance would be half respectable would be to buy the Honduran national team and make the New Orleans team.