Pandemolympics 20201

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Jul 20, 2021.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although this was a case when, even if nothing else but the description you gave had been written out in the rules, Labbé could have been clearly punished for "smirking with intent" and no-one would have questioned that or would have needed to call the VAR to settle the controversy. :coffee:

2. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's true, the cameras showed close-ups of her face quite regularly throughout and she could not have said that she was maintaining a neutral expression. If charged with "smirking with intent", I imagine she could have claimed that she was not smirking but smiling, because she was happy to be defending penalty kicks, and it was all just an attempt to be friendly and show that we're all glad that football is winning. Or alternately that she was trying to be neutral and it's not her fault she was born with resting smirk face.

Hmm, I think I've just given her a nickname, at least in my own head: "Smirk-face Labbé." Has a nice rhythm to it.

kolabear, Bonnie Lass and blissett repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonnie Lass repped this.
  4. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The headline for that Bälinge story I quoted back on the first page of this thread? " Guldet var nära – "vi kände oss oslagbara" " (The gold was close, we felt unbeatable) Coulda been the headline after the Olympic final.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Anneli Wahlgren little to slow for the WNT or to score much against the top teams, but all her goals aginst the bottom 2/3 made sure that every time Bällinge was tied on points they had the better goal difference.