Palencia to Chivas USA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by brinobyrne, Jul 5, 2005.

1. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
  2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorge Ramos' radio show, Locura por el Futbol, which happens to air on the Radio Univison network, just talked about Palencia joining Chivas USA. He's apparently taking a short break, since Guadalajara just finished their Libertadores run last week, but will supposedly join Chivas USA shortly.

Good move for Chivas USA. I think Palencia can score some goals in this league and he'll help with attendance. He's a real star that people will want to see.

3. brinobyrne

brinobyrne New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    New York
    Yes I agree. Attendance should go up for the first couple of games he plays but if they don't get any Ws the number of people in the stands will dip again.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also probably worth noting that Benjamin Galindo reportedly wanted to keep Palencia in Guadalajara. I just hope that Paco actually wanted to go to LA and wasn't strong-armed by Chivas brass. If Palencia wants to be there, then he and Juan Pablo Garcia should help this team.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I was such an avid US national team supporter I used to love to hate Palencia. Now that I have been watching him in Libertadores and the way he played against Boca I really think the guy is class. He is the best Mexico has to offer the last couple of years in my opinion and I love the idea of him playing in MLS. I too pray he is up for his stint in MLS and that he actually wants this move. Anything after Libertadores will seem like a step down though and Chivas USA is a team on the verge of desperation. I hope he can be a calming influence to the players and make it a mission to drive this team to win. I can't wait!!!

6. Chivo

Chivo Member

Mar 31, 2005
    San Diego
    With the new reinforcements I hope we (CDCU) are able to get some wins and raise attendance.

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    How is Chivas USA affected in terms of salary cap / allocations etc... with moves like this? (Palencia and JP Garcia)

Are they able to keep some of the cost of these players outside MLS - e.g. a Palencia still draws a salary with the parent club?

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought MLS/Chivas was bound to the FIFA transfer window.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    They all sign August 1

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Are you sure Palencia can beat out Matt Taylor?

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt who? ;).. This should make them a much more competitive team.... Great development....Curious in that previously it seemed Palencia did not want to come.....

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno. Paco has the poney tail, but Matt has the mullet. I fear that mullet may trump poney tail.

He didn't want to come at the beginning of the season, reportedly because he wanted to redeem himself in Guadalajara for missing a key penalty kick at the end of the previous season. Galindo apparently still wanted him to stay for next season, but maybe Palencia himself is cool with the move now?

Anyway, it looks like Chivas USA is doing everything they can to right as much of the ship as possible this season. Of course, there still may not be a whole lot they can do other than restore the fans' confidence in management's commitment to getting it right next year, but that would in and of itself be a nice achievement. All the Chivas-haters better get as much of the hatin' in this season as they can. ;)

13. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ

that's vergara, man. he comes off like a steinbrenner-type who looks like he's had enough of this slop of a team...

the palencia and garcia additions should be fun to watch, though.

14. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this move by Chivas USA. Paco Palencia will be great for not only their team, but, as everyone has said here, it will help out their attendence. He was playing great when I saw him in the MFL with Cruz Azul before leaving for Chivas of Guadalajara last season.

15. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

August 15th

16. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Just a little Bump for the Salary Cap question.

Were Goats Lite way below the Salary Cap?

Or are JPG & Paco going to be making the same money as the guys that they will cut (MFL/Tri stars will make the same money as guys who could barely make a Primera A roster?)

Cutting Marlon Rojas & signing Paul Broome means that RSL has a foreigner spot open. Do we also receive some "You Suck" salary cap relief? Especially since we're selling lots of tickets?

17. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Figure that as far as a salary cap hit, they are going to be paying the league max.. However, MLS allows clubs to pay outside of the cap if they desire.. So Palencia will prolly get the same pay he was getting, yet for cap purposes, he will only be showing up as the league max.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I recall Palencia having a KISS T-shirt under his team garb that he would show off after scoring a goal.

I however doubt that Westerhof and Vergara want him out in Hollywood doing "rock-n-roll all night and party every day".

19. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAWNNNNN We have seen this before... A "star" Mexican player comes to MLS. Plays how ever months is left in the season returns to Mexico and we don't seem him mid way through next year if at all (ex. Jorge Campos, Luis Hernandez, MLS spent 4 million on a player who played from July on...)

By the time Chivas USA gets Palencia, august the team will be in such a hole that having him or not having him is a mut point.

2nd- We have seen this before a despreate team doing desprate things ex. Metrostars.... Chivas is following in the same foot steps. The disaster I predicted over a year and a half ago has come to pass...

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The disaster was waived and subsequently picked up by the Metrostars.

21. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, now that Chivas USA has some offensive options coming their way, what about the other issue - the defense. They got rid of Suarez (good call, IMHO) but they have quite a few holes in the back. Scoring goals will obviously help (could have helped against Chicago) but if they continue to give it up more than a New York city street walker ain't nothing gonna change.

22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Palencia cannot be lumped w/ Campos and Hernandez. Both were in the apex or beyond the apex of their career. Palencia is young and hungry.

23. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    How old is Palencia?

24. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    How motivated can Palencia be? He wants to play in Guadalajara, not in LA. Galindo wants him in Guadalajara. Vergara wants him in LA. This has the potential to blow up much bigger than nanny gate.

25. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Galindo and Palencia begged Vergara in January to let him stay the season.

Vergara relented. Now, he's clearly worried about CDCU and is holding Paco to his word.

This is entirely a motivational question on Palencia's part--if he's good enough to start in the Libertadores semifinal for Chivas, he's more than good enough for MLS. Hopefully, Hans can help him keep his attitude straight (or repeat that brilliant sweeping arm gesture he made to Suarez of "get your ass to the bench!").