Pain in shins/ankles

Discussion in 'Referee' started by call-it, Apr 30, 2016.

1. call-it

call-it New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    This isn't strictly a referee question, but I thought someone in this community might have some ideas.

I am 56 years old and have been a referee for 9 nine years. This year, I am facing an aggravating problem: pain in my lower shins and ankles whenever I am on my feet for an hour or more.

This is not simply fatigue -- "My legs are so tired" - this is pain that seems to emanate right from the bone (though realistically it's probably coming from the muscles and fibers around the bone).

This means it's almost impossible for me to ref more than one game a day. The problem seems to be associated simply with being on my feet; in fact, standing may be worse than running. The pain after one game as an AR will be equal or worse than the pain from one game as the center.

I suppose it could be shin splints, though the pain affects only the lower part of my shin, and my ankles.

Icing the area does help, as does ibuprofen, but those are only temporary fixes.

To be clear, I don't expect this forum to be my HMO. I have made an appointment with my doctor (about time, my wife says). But if anybody has any experience with this sort of problem, I'm open to all ideas.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Far from a diagnosis and not even particularly specific, but FWIW ... my various foot and lower leg complaints have been significantly alleviated by use of compression socks. Also ... maybe a shoe change?

IASocFan and That Cherokee repped this.
  3. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Dido on the compression socks.

4. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    What shoes do you usually wear?

5. call-it

call-it New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Running shoes. I did get some new ones -- LA Gear -- a few weeks ago, but that didn't seem to change things.

6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, shin splints do affect the lower lower leg. The pain with them should be mainly on the inner aspect of the tibia.

The fact that you have pain just from periods of standing make me wonder about venous insufficiency- any swelling? Varicose veins?

Either way, proper compression stockings should help. You can go to an orthopedic supply place and be fitted for them. That's pricey but your insurance may cover a good bit of them if you have a prescription for them from your doctor. You can also buy them off the shelf- you want the terms "graduated compression" then the fit and comfort is trial and error.

I think the modern premium soccer socks from Nike and adidas are actually decent facsimiles of the graduated compression socks: they give real, comfortable compression. too bad we can't use them to ref in

if shin splints are indeed the problem, I have heard that minimal running shoes might be better. I really like Nike frees, but there are many out there.

That Cherokee repped this.
  7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    And what does your doctor say?

Don't be a "guy" like me and not go to the doctor for 4 weeks* after I broke my ankle. Oh, and don't ref the second half of a game** after breaking an ankle in the first half.

* - Hey, I was busy. It was my daughter's wedding, and then we went on vacation.
    ** - Well, it wasn't swelling yet at halftime.

IASocFan and That Cherokee repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's funny. The only reason I ended up at the doctor to find out that my ankle was broken was a friend had wangled me an appointment with one of the top orthos in town, and she insisted it would be an embarrassment to her if I canceled. :rolleyes:

That Cherokee repped this.
  9. call-it

call-it New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely look into getting some compression socks. And I will be seeing my doctor.

10. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    Can't vouch for the compression socks. Personally I don't think those would help. But I one million percent recommend these

[​IMG]

I had bad splints that went away immediately after using these. And I do mean immediately. Splints happen because of a flat or collapsed foot arch. Giving support to the arch was an instant fix in my case. These are solid.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah those too.

12. call-it

call-it New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Thanks for the tip on the inserts, T. Mental