Paging Mr. Howard (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ripmstr, Nov 23, 2004.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: Paging Mr. Howard

Carroll has been very good. He should keep playing. And believe me, you want Caroll to play well in these matches. ManU in Champion's League = Good news for Howard & Spector

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how is it good if they don't see playing time ,... like for me it would be great just to travel with the team and visiting all those Euro cities and stadiums and wear the Man U shirt, like that ?...or maybe you saying that since they are thru to the next round and still have a game to play Howard and Spector might get a start ?

3. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I think that he's just saying that more fixtures could equal more tired legs for the regulars and a better chance for PT for our fellas.

True to some extent I think.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Carroll will ride his side into relegation before Howard gets between the pipes again. Wait and see.

5. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    you all must be kidding me...paging mR.buffon!! Howard is garbage

6. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin

How's your keeper situation down in Mex-he-co?

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    because I'm saying whats good for the team is in general good for its players. And the chance of playing champion's league is good.

8. Jeff Wyatt

Jeff Wyatt New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Carroll hasn't been tested all season, he let in a bad goal. I still don't think that gives Timmy the green light, but we'll see. But let me tell you, that howler was the ultimate in British Humour. Monty Python would be proud.

9. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    Garbage too , I tell you da truth..nothing but da truth , 352guy

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So if you're Tim Howard sitting on the bench and Carroll lets this howler in, what is going through your mind?

Is it
    (a) Oh no, poor Roy, it happens to all of us
    (b) Oh no, I really hope we can get the lead back so we can qualify for the next CL round
    or
    (c) Yesssssss!

11. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles

:) All of the above, probably.

Tim's a good guy, and a good keeper. He's dying for a chance to prove that again. He's kept a clean sheet in Carling Cup against some tough shots. If he looks good in practice, I say SAF should give him another go.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    You've got to save those. That was as bad as Howard's blunder in the game at Lyon. I think it will take a lot more for Carroll to get replaced though: he's done pretty well since Howard was dropped.

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, must be some kind of voodoo that Lyon puts on the Man U keepers. I agree that Carroll is tougher to dislodge than many believe. Beyond the bad mistake, Timmy just did not look comfortable in his movements and positioning. I hope he's improved in those areas.

14. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY

How about even the thread titles name? I got home from work went to this board to see what happened on the Landon front and this thread title made me think Carroll made a huge mistake or he was hurt before i was able to watch this game on tape. I thought the whole point of an {R} was so the game wasnt at all given away in the title? Not pointing you out but i think a mod should have changed the title of the thread to usual ie:Howard 11/23 Man Utd vs. Lyon.

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it was worse since Caroll spilled the shot into his own net while Howard at least knocked it into the field of play where it could have been cleared out of danger. Anybody on this board could have saved it and professional goalies at any level would make that save 95% of the time.

But Howard's error in the earlier Lyon game was just the last in a series of, if not howlers, then gaffes by Howard. I doubt that SAF will pull a goalie on one mistake, unless he is, as suggested above, looking for an excuse to do so. And I remain unconvinced that Carroll's failure will lead to the reemergence of Howard at ManU, though SAF certainly says that Howard is not on the outs.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

howards mistakes invariably led to draws or defeats....man U still won this game so chances are carroll gets another chance...

17. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR

Fair enough.

18. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

Anyone have a clip of Carroll's gaffe?

19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

uefa.com has it, clip or entire game if you will, but must be a member for $ 40 other then that i don't think so FSW ?

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

It's got to be out there somewhere. I think i've seen it 30 times already over here.

21. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    I can't really see Carrol being dropped for one blunder, it wouldn't be good for Howard replacing him because he would be thinking "i make one mistake and i'm back on the bench" every game. I think it would be better to keep Carrol and wait until he makes several mistakes in a row then put Howard back in, which will take a bit of pressure off him.

22. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    First of all, I hope any professional keeper makes that save more than 95% of the time. That being said, even Oliver Khan has made a similar mistake.

Second, the benching of Howard came because he seemed to be letting his mistakes get to him, resulting in a series of shaky games. The big question for Carroll will be how he responds in the next few games. The fact that ManU won the game ought to help him put this one behind him. Howard didn't have that luxury.

Also, with ManU winning the next CL game is essentially meaningless, so Howard and Spector, or even Rossi, might get a chance.

23. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    A Torrent of the game is available Here

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Howard would have had it 99 times out of 100.

25. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    So I think we all agree -- Ferguson needs to apologize to Howard, and hand him back the staring job. Carroll, who we've agreed is not a bad keeper, will be left on the bench to watch and rue that replay. Following the strength of an American in goal, ManU will find new life for the rest of the season.

So I think we all agree.........