PAETAC Park

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Goldenstick, Mar 30, 2004.

1. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are issues already in the city with the East End entertainment area being too far removed from the High Falls district. There aren't any direct public transportation connections between the two and it's way too far to walk.

As far as getting to the stadium by car...you said "West End" do you mean West Side? As in Gates, Chili, Spencerport, Greece, Brockport? Or do you mean from the West end of the city? Because the stadium is in the city's "west end", I've just never heard anyone call it that. From Pittsford, where in Pittsford are you talking about? From the Monroe Ave Wegmans to the Stadium could take 20 minutes if there's light traffic on 490. From Brighton it depends where you're coming from as well. IF you're near a 590 or 490 exit it could take 15-20minutes, but if you have to travel down East Ave it'll take longer.

From the Mall in Greece to the stadium probably takes 25-30 minutes with good traffic. Remember too that Greece is probably getting to the point where it has a population 1/2 the size of Rochester (over 100k). But if you live off Dewey Ave in Greece and get all green lights you could probably get to the Stadium in 10 minutes.

From Henrietta (the fastest growing suburb) it probably takes 20 minutes as well, unless you live next to the 390 exit.

2. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

Agreed.

I can leave my house by the airport at 7:10, park on Main St for free, and be in my seat at Frontier for the lineups and anthem. The new stadium is 3 blocks North of Frontier, less than 10 minutes further. That's 30 minutes from "Dear, get in the car" to "Dear, get me some fried dough please". You can't do that in Foxboro, the Meadow Lands, Home Depot, or I suspect Frisco.

The new stadium is also only 10-15 minutes from High Falls at a leisurely walk.
    So, if you want to eat/drink pre or post game it's convenient.

People who think a 10-15 minute walk is a bit much haven't taken the subway to the Bronx, or to Fenway, or walked to Camden Yards from a 'nearby' lot.

Rochester is very convenient to going to a sporting event in the city.

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I haven't been to Rochester for 3 years, so I guess I'm messing up the neighborhood name. What is the city neighborhood out towards the old mansions from downtown? There is another street parallel to that one that has a bunch of restaurants and coffee shops. I thought that was called the west end. Maybe it was the east end. Anyway, that was what I meant.

4. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    Some of us have. Taking the subway (which is spitting distance from Yankee stadium) in or out of Manhattan is a much more desireable trip than the 10-15 minute walk through industrial areas and parking lots.

I agree. But it's not the easiest place to find immediate entertainment following the game.

5. bjdaly

bjdaly New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Technically, I believe downtown is considered within the inner loop. So that barely puts the East End (although not the Upper East End) downtown and High Falls/Frontier just outside of downtown. I consider them all part of the downtown given we are talking a few hundred feet though. Paytec might be a little more of a stretch, but it's certainly within a reasonable walk from Frontier. The Rhinos have even discussed putting vendors and some entertainment down the walk to Paytec on game day, as is done elsewhere. It shouldn't be an issue.

6. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    More pictures are coming soon. This just in from the majority owner, Frank DuRoss:

The blimp cam should be there tomorrow, if the weather is clear, if not it will be early next week.

Frank

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the satellite picture of the location of PTP from Google/maps.

Satellite Picture

You can see in the south east corner Frontier Field where the Rhinos currently play.

The stadium is on the West side of Oak St and the Rhinos offices are going to be in the building on the east side of the street. The land on the east side of the street is now a VIP type parking lot, and the other Kodak lots which are used now are about 3-4 blocks away past Brown's Square Park and will make up the majority of the parking for the stadium.

Obviously these google satellite images are over a year old.

8. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering, what would happen to the naming rights figures for PAETEC Park if Rochester moves to the MLS? Currently, PAETEC will pay about 500k per year, but based on Frisco figures, it should at least double in the MLS. Or is the contract so strict that the figure will remain? Also, I think PAETEC should pay at least 500k the day the stadium opens because this stadium was named PAETEC Park back in 2003 and used NUMEROUS times since then.

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    well the Dallas market is much bigger so that means the price is higher there. plus Frisco has all those youth fields that also are included under the Pizza Hut name. not to mention that right now the Frisco stadium is significantly more expensive. I do think a move to MLS would be a reason to ask for a boost, but not having seen the contracts I don't know if they CAN ask for one? I don't think they'd get Frisco level sponsorship now.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's also quite possible the chance of moving up to MLS was priced into the original contract.

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's much less than $500,000/year. I think it's more like $180,000/year. I'm pretty certain that PaeTec Communications will be getting a bargain basement deal if the Rhinos move to MLS before their contract runs out.

12. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    What happened to the blimpcam pictures from this weekend??? I'm going through withdrawal;-)

Rand

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    It rained Thursday and Friday, I doubt the blimp was sent up.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, fingers crossed for some new photos soon: stadium progress has looked great to this point, and I'm very happy to see a well-supported club like Rochester getting an appropriate facility to play in.

15. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  16. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
  17. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well done....
    1/ Downtown close stadium-- residential nearby, how many of those folks will go to games or be a season ticket holder? I would die to be within walking distance
    2/ Second deck adds some class, ala Home Depot (my stadium)
    3/ Love the green/yellow seat combo, now if they had just spelled out something like "Rochester" on one side, that would be classic.
    4/ Love to have seen partial, full roof
    5/ 17,000 is great, who cares about a minimum capacity, bring on the MLS and fill the house every night, then worry about more seats later. It is always a better problem to have to add seats, than not being able to fill what you have.
    6/ I am in Rochester in July for a game against Seatle (I am visting Toronto and scheduled my trip to catch an Aleague game) Figured to say goodbye to the baseball stadium and if the Rhinos go up to MLS , I'll be back when my GALAXY make their first road trip to PAETEC.. GOOD LUCK ROCHESTER!!

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <1% One of the worst neighborhoods in the area. Perhaps if they were able to get foot in the immigrant market they could draw in some of the immigrants who have settled in the area because you can buy a house for $20,000. However, Rochester does not have a large population of Central Americans, most immigrants are Asian (Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam), Caribean (Puerto Rico, Haiti, Jamaica) or Eastern European (Bosnians, Ukrainians, Turks). The Rhinos alread get some of the Jamaicans and Haitians out to games, they get some pockets of the Asians but the Eastern Europeans mostly ignore or can't afford games ($11 is cheapest ticket).

The stadium is built to support an upper deck on the opposite side of the stadium as well should team support demand it or more money come available to fund it.

Rhinos owner Frank DuRoss was questioned on this, he said they chose to go with a newer trend in Europe to splash the colors here and there to give a feeling of action or motion.

Amen brother.

The open end of the stadium will be able to hold up to an additional 4500 "temporary" seats, aka bleachers for big games.

If you get a chance make your way to the bullpen behind the goal where the Stampede stand. I think it's the best "seats" in the house and you can avoid the blaring PA.

19. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Is this accurate re the capacity?

-Permanent capacity to start is 13k
    -Temporary can add another 4k w temporary bleachers on open end.
    - Can add another 3k w/ upper deck on other side.
    - Temporary open end could become permanent and would have a 20k seat stadium.

20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Drew VT 6.. I am a serious soccer nut and I take a MLS or WCQ roadtrip everyyear. MAde the USA-COSTA RICA double hitter in SLC (A rare west coast WCQ) this year. I usually like to go to stadiums that the league is going to leave, figuring the new ones will be around a while. I made to to old Foxborough, Tampa, Old Solder, Old Mile High, the Cotton Bowl. I still want to get DC, NYC and KC before they move on, and that will complete my collection, exception being Miami who died before I could get there. I made all these games with the Galaxy... I chose Rochester as you have some good soccer credentials, I know the baseball stadium is the best thing, but I have seen a lot worse stadiums in my years of following, ALeague, PDL,D3,WSA,USl etc.. How far is it to the Soccer Hall of FAme drive time wise from Rochester? I will have to save that for the future trip to Rochester once you new stadium is up and I can maybe work in Columbus. How far drive time to Columbus? Congrats again on stadium.

21. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Oneonta = 2.75 - 3.25 hours
    Columbus (via Cleveland) 6 - 6.5 hours

22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium is looking nice. Well done Rochester!

23. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Yesterday they gave a tour of PaeTec Park. Here's a link to some insider accounts. A story on this should be featured in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle in the near future.

Go to: http://www.rhinosfan.com/showthread.php?t=1139

24. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY