PAETAC Park

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Goldenstick, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw where they had to cut the budget from a 50 million dollar, 20,000 seat stadium to more than half that amount 22 million, 12,500 seat stadium. I wonder if that would be enough seats to support an MLS franchise? I thought MLS wanted at least 20,000 seat stadiums to consider expansion.

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Rhino's website, I thought I said "17,500". Has it gone down again?

3. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are temporary stands that can be added to reach up to that number.

4. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, skim through the other threads. You'll find all your answers.

17,500 is the number they now say. I believe it's 13,500 plus 4k removable seats.

5. Letterman

Letterman New Member

May 3, 2004
    Upstate NY
    Another possible glitch in the stadium?
    (May 21, 2004) ? The Rochester Rhinos are reconsidering how deep they?ll be able to dig for a downtown soccer stadium.

Because of issues over the soil?s stability and where the water table is, the Rhinos are waiting for a geological report on how much of the stadium can be built below ground level, said Frank DuRoss, the team?s majority owner.

The $22 million stadium was to be built as far as 18 feet below ground, creating a bowl-shaped facility. DuRoss said it was unclear whether stadium designs or the price tag would be affected.
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0521story010942_news.shtml

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I drove by the site this morning. The only thing to report is that an eight-foot construction fence is now in place around the entire site.

8. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    Anyone have a recent update on the construction? Any more news?

9. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    They have selected a design, but are awaiting final drawings for sign off. It sounds like that approval is just days away (my editorial comment.)

10. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still the numbers listed above? ($$$ & Capacity?)

Hopefully there are no more unexpected hurdles.
    Lot of patience floating around in Rochester :)

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which numbers are you talking about? It will be a 13k permanent seats and about 4500 portable bleachers in a horseshoe configuration with the open end towards downtown rochester. How's that?

12. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    Just want to hear the official word soon...

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    DuRoss said that the new drawings would be released soon (but not this week) on the Rhino webboard.

14. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys are always so concerned about attendance numbers...do you know that half the teams in the Premier Division average attendance around 23000 (wow lower than you think for a soccer nation like England)...the First Division is even less than that. In italy the average attendance for the Serie A underdog teams (half the league) have attendance under 25000)....i think looking at NFL attendance is misleading...NFl is an american abnormality of obesity and excessiveness

15. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an abnormality of obesity and excessiveness that has the highest average attendance of any pro football league in the world.

[football, meaning any game that is a derivative of old english football-- australian rules, association football (soccer), rugby league, rugby union, canadian football, and american football. although gaelic football is older than any of these games and formed seperately, it is of a similar nature and should probably be included as well.]

16. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL is nicely constrained to 16 games per regular . Any more, players would start dying on the field. Therefore, quantity in organically constrained, and demand stays healthy. If there were 38 games a season for NFL, you'd see attendance drop.

17. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats 19 home games, as opposed to the 8 now. while, i agree that there would be a significant drop, i still don't think that it would be lower than any professional soccer league. anyway, its all like comparing apples and oranges. i was just trying to debunk the poster's obvious bias opinion against the nfl with facts. even you don't like it, the league is not a joke because the numbers don't lie.

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But also supply and demand. If the Italian or English teams only had 16-18 games a year that counted they'd do much better as well.

Also the length of the off season has an effect. How's the saying go, "Absence makes the mind grow fonder" ???

These two points may actually point to an NFL abnormality where less is more, while all other sports are trying to make more of less.

19. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also forgotten here is that while attendance may be down, per capita attendance is certainly still strong in Europe. Take London for example, where 4 different clubs can sell out a game on any particular saturday, selling over 100K worth of tickets for the day. In Football such competition rarely exists (it works for Jets/Giants and niners/raiders, but failed miserably in LA), and in baseball you almost never see cross-town cities come close to selling out ballparks when both teams are at home for the weekend. Its a fair point, but if there were 3 or 4 MLS teams in the NY/NJ area, I think total attendance would not be as positive as what goes on abroad.

20. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, London actually has more than that:

Primiership teams
    Arsenal
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Charlton
    Chelsea
    Fulham
    Cystal Palace

First Division teams
    Queens Park Rangers
    West Ham United
    Wimbledon
    Watford

They're also a bunch of lower division teams as well.

21. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Here's the latest from Frank DuRoss on the Rhinos stadium. It's from their webboard:

To help clarify a few points:

1. The Rinos receive 5% of the gross food and beverage concessions sales after paying NYS Sales tax.

2. We have not received any of the NYS $15M NYS grant, it will avaiable in monthly increments based on the work completed during that month. Any interest earned on the NYS Grant stays with the state not the Rhinos.

3. We received the revised PTP renderings, last week, made a few changes and are awaiting them from the artist. Once we receive them we will release them to the public and psot them on this website.

4. We still believe , even if we do not start any site work until mid-late September that we can move into PTP next season. The exact date is still undecided until construction is at the midway point. We will backload our schedule so we will start next season on the road and have most of our home games in July-September, if we run into delays we could play a few home games at FFt then move into PTP.

5 All the necessary City, County & State agencies/officals are aware of the timelines and agree with them.

We have quietly worked through all the major issues and are as anxious as everyone to get this project completed but many times the schedule and issues are not in our control.

We should have the rederings in the near future and start major site work shorty thereafter .

Frank

22. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    That seems awfully low. Could that be a misprint?

23. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Oh no, it's not a misprint. The original speculation was that Frank clarified was that it was 5% of PROFITS.

And yes, it's pathetic. It's a major reason why we need a stadium. FYI, I try to have two-hour long hunger strikes while I am at Frontier Field.

24. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Lest you hand over your hard earned money to Naomi Silver!! :)

Not that!