Pac12 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Aug 1, 2019.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the offense. I just thought there was a bit of humor in chow and Huskies and ... oh, never mind. Some people seem to be more easily bothered than others.

Messi #1, cachundo, HeadSpun and 5 others repped this.
  2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Stanford looks unstoppable, but any informed opinions -

Can Cal, WSU, Arizona, Colorado and Oregon State keep up this pace for at-large bids?

Will assistant take over at Washington if they finish near top of league?

Oregon, Arizona State, Utah - who could go without a league win?

Are USC, UCLA real College Cup contenders or is it just Stanford?

4. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Stanford definitely, usc maybe, ucla dont think so. They seem off lacking leadership or coaching this year.

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think all of your at large get it. Colorado needs to finish well. (Homer alert). Usc will get to college cup if they don’t get screwed again with seeding

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All five have one game against the bottom three, not necessarily a gimmee. Colorado at Utah certainly isn't.

Cal still has to play Arizona at home, and Colorado (today in snow) and Stanford away.

Washington State has Colorado at home, and UCLA (today) and Washington away.

Arizona has Oregon State at home today, then Cal and Stanford away.

Colorado has Cal at home today, then the Washingtons away.

Oregon State has UCLA and USC at home, and at Arizona today.

In other words, it's going to be a slugfest. Of these games, only Oregon State has two at home (good news) but against USC and UCLA (bad news). Cal and Arizona still get to play Stanford (my condolences),

Everybody's RPI is at least not bad, Washington State is 18 and the others are 33-37.

It will be interesting .

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arizona 2, Oregon State 1. Arizona pretty well dominated at home.

Cal 1, at Colorado 1. I think the Buffs needed a win here more than Cal did.

UCLA 2, Washington State 1. WSU scored first but the second half was all Bruins, shots on goal wound up 8-2.

Not Oregon ... 3-1 at Arizona State. Utah is being steamrolled by Stanford, other teams in the conference can relate.

At USC ... Shots 13-6, on goal 9-3, corner kicks 10-3 all USC. Washington 2, USC 0,

8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooooooooo interesting :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Here we go ytrs. Least impressive outing of the year for USC. just plain flat on all sides of the ball. Washington got up and played the Trojans like a fiddle. The Trojans have got to reinvent themselves if they plan to get deep into the tournament

10. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GS, that was a disastrous result for USC in terms of seeding. Winning out would have potentially meant a 1-seed. now It's looking more like a 2-seed. Should the LA schools win out this weekend, the LA rivalry game looks like a knockout match as both are in play for a 2-seed. The loser potentially losing out on a 2-seed

OTOH, great result for Udub winning at USC. They now look like a dark-horse candidate for a 2-seed themselves.

11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like there's always something at stake during big USC-UCLA game, as much as I enjoy the fact we are at home this year, I wish we did it at neutral big MLS stadium site again like Banc of California or the Galaxy stadium for the atmosphere. How the heck are we having this game at the Annenberg Stadium when it only seats 2000?

Jamaicanadian repped this.
  12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep. Huge loss. Washington is really stepping up in Gallimore’s last year. Looking like we also may have a significant injury from that game
    On the UCLA game note, I also wish they would play it at a big stadium. USC has proposed to do this every year for the growth of women’s soccer but my understanding is it was rejected by UCLA because they spent a ton of $ to open Wallis-Annenberg. A shame because this game traditionally draws 10000 plus (more than the NWSL final)

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Around the Pac-12:

I have to start with this one … Colorado 1, at Washington 0. The Buffs needed that. Heroic defense.

USC 1, at Oregon 0, The Trojans were dormant in the first half but came to life after halftime and got one in the 78th minute.

Washington State 4, Utah 1. Utes pulled within 1, but WSU scored a minute later and three minutes after that to put it away.

UCLA 4, at Oregon State 0. Bruins firing on all cylinders. But credit OSU for having a season massively better than last year.

Cal 3, Arizona 0. Shots 19-7 Arizona, on goal 11-4 Arizona. Not the first game like this for Cal, the other guys get the statistics, Cal gets the goals. Their freshman goalkeeper is outstanding.

Stanford 3, Arizona State 0. Not that close. Shots 36-1, on goal 9-0, corner kicks 9-0, Stanford clinched a tie for the conference, then won it outright when Washington lost.

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Geeeez that Stanford shot stat

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most games they shoot like a machine gun with the trigger stuck. Not quite every game ... 13 at West Virginia, 14 against UCLA, and 17 at Penn State, at Santa Clara and at Utah. The 36 is the most this season, they also got 35 against Pennsylvania and 33 at Oregon State. Outshot OSU 33-4 in Corvallis, and the Beavers are pretty good this year.

And they are stingy. The most boring job on the planet has to be Stanford's goalkeeper. UCLA got no shots on goal, Colorado got 1, Pepperdine got 1 (which went in for Stanford's only loss) and there are others because the average against them is less than 2, and just over five shots a game, Santa Clara got the most shots at 12.

I will be very surprised if they don't win the College Cup.

16. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bigger shock in the stat line is only 9 on goal. 25% is usually not gonna get it done but when you take 36 shots I guess it does

blissett repped this.
  17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #92 derbarkasmann, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    I don't know of many teams that can miss 27 shots. Maybe they were shooting from midfield to keep the score down? They didn't score in the final 40 minutes.

The shot stat that surprised me was Cal being outshot at home by Arizona 19-7, on goal 11-4, and winning 3-0.

18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i watched that one. AZ was taking deep shots at a 6 foot goalkeeper who stood on her head. (She is a lock for Pac-12 gk of the year and a great kid)

19. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Cal GK looked great in the Arizona highlight reel. What are the chances of a Santa Clara-Cal 1st round matchup?

Oregon State guy should be coach of the year in PAC12. Will it happen?

Does the win lock Colorado in NCAA's and loss knock Utah out?

If OSU beats Oregon in rivalry game, do they get in?

Who finishes bottom of the table when all said and done?

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And she's a freshman. Santa Clara (Go Broncos!!) would love a rematch. It would be a great game, both teams are capable of winning more than one playoff game.

Should. Even if they don't make the playoffs.

Being a Colorado fan, I hope so. But I think the Buffs need at least a tie at Utah, just to be sure, which is why I'm driving the 280 miles (450km) from my new home to Salt Lake City next week to make sure they get it (and see Utah's new soccer field). Utah knocked the Buffs out of the playoffs last year, should be a bit of extra motivation.

That would be cool, but ... RPI now is 43, ninth in the conference. Colorado is eighth and just got a big RPI boost. California is seventh and should win tomorrow and losing to Stanford won't hurt. I think OSU needs to somehow not lose to USC tomorrow, or, nine Pac-12 teams get in.

It's rebuilding time for the Sun Devils.

21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Around the Pac-12:

Oregon State held USC to 11 shots, four on goal, but couldn’t do much themselves and lost 1-0. Chippy? 27 fouls, 4 yellow cards.

Oregon held UCLA to one goal but was outshot 20-4 in the 1-0 loss.

Morgan Weaver defeated Colorado 4-1. Oh, she plays for Washington State.

Washington rebounded from the loss to Colorado, sort of. They outshot Utah 24-5. Allowed Utah only one shot on goal. Corner kicks 12-2. That’s the good news. The bad news? The shot, singular, went in. 1-0 Utah.

Stanford had another shot explosion, 31-8 over Arizona, on goal 12-3. But credit the Wildcats for ending Stanford’s eight game shutout streak. Only the third team to score twice on Stanford, Santa Clara and USC did before the shutout streak. Stanford 6, Arizona 2.

It took Arizona State 39 seconds to score on California. Cal tied it up near the end of an evenly played half. Cal owned the second half (shots 9-0) but it took a penalty kick for them to win 2-1.

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Regarding the osu v usc game being chippy nobody who wasn’t there will know USC took a beating and will most likely be without some major players because OSU just played dirty

Messi #1 repped this.
  23. AZ House

AZ House New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 19, 2019
    funny you say this. This is the rebuild. He came in, ran a bunch of the souther California players off (thus burning bridges with some prominent Cali clubs) and brought in 18 girls. Then another 12 girls this year and he is pretty much out of money. Most if not all the foreigners have full rides. They are all Sophomores and he has a couple freshmen. He has 4 seniors graduating. Not much money is going to be freed up there. Not much help on the way either.

Messi #1 repped this.
  24. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rivalry week in the Pac-12
    Always fun and very competitive
    Tourney lives on the line for many
    Gonna be a great 2 days
    Stay healthy!

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  25. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    How about a team by team wrap up by those in the know?

Who is in and will they be seeded?

Moving forward for those not in, how do they look headed into 2020?