PBP: P01135809 Trump Espionage, Coup, Conspiracy, Racketeering, Fraud & Obstruction Trial Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Jun 10, 2023.

?

What will be the outcome?

1. Guilty

2. Not guilty

3. Pardons himself

4. Goes into exile in Snowden's flat

5. Some other fascism

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Debate could be held in Sing Sing.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My prediction is that juror #2 (IIRC) will hang the jury.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found an excuse to post the trailer.

Mike03 repped this.
  4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If they convict, I think Trump gets a shortish sentence. A year to 18 months type thing.

But, I'm concerned this will be a hung jury and retrial, after November.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I would be very surprised if he goes to jail. House arrest maybe, but not jail.

Deadtigers and Pønch repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when we all say jail or prison, it is some alternate to what we traditionally think of as jail or prison. He may be under "house arrest," but I can imagine, it being New York, that may not be a house of his choosing, and his movements will be restricted. As will be his access to a cell phone.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arguably, the prosecution could introduce a video clip of the statement directly into evidence, and then recall a witness who previously testified about the NDA for impeachment purposes. As for admissibility, it's not much different than situations in which a criminal defendant gives a voluntary statement to the police about the alleged crime but then doesn't testify at trial. That statement is admissible.

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching TikTok last night and a criminal defense attorney that defends cases in the same building Trump is being tried in said that for an elderly, high profile, first time offender, that is convicted of a non-violent felony, she expects AT MOST community service and something like a deferment for jail time/probation that disappears if he keeps his nose clean for a year.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Is that a typical sentence for someone who goes to trial, takes zero responsibility for the crime they are convicted of, repeatedly attacks the judge, jury, prosecutors, their family etc before, during and after the trial? Cause most people that get low sentences don’t act like this….no?

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has that attorney worked in Merchan's court? It has been reported that Merchan is relatively tough on white collar crimes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, I think it is Daniels who testified about the NDA already. If the statement was admitted into court, would she need to reappear, or would her previous testimony be good enough to impeach Trump?

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno about that. Just that she is an experienced NYC defense attorney and has experience with NY sentencing. It sounded like the big things with Trump is that he would be a first time offender and the crime is non-violent.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on how her testimony was framed in the initial direct. Often, the witness would be recalled if for no other reason than it drives the point home to have them testify again, specifically rebutting what TFG said in front of cameras.

soccernutter repped this.
  14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    But that’s the thing… I thought the defense was trying to raise doubts about whether Trump was actually party to the NDA (it was executed under a pseudonym). That this was all a rogue underling attorney trying to impress his boss and Trump had no idea what was going on. Trump stated on camera that he was. How would the prosecution get that in now?

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admit the tape into evidence and play it for the jury.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ok. So nobody needs to be testifying about evidence? You can just roll tape? That makes sense and I have no idea why in my mind that isn’t a thing. Dick Wolf skips over shit like that.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It doesn’t make for great tv drama.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Any tape that once and for all pins Donald Trump to something he said or did and then denied would be the greatest tv drama I could ask for.

"Greatest" as in biggest, "greatest" as in best, "greatest" as in most historic; make tv drama great again, please please please.

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    If there were a tape of him talking about he was in active coordination with the Proud Boys to assassinate all members of Congress and Pence for not supporting him, I still wouldn't believe that would send him to jail. The system just ain't set up to send a former president to jail. And all the corruption in the judicial system and DoJ's institutional bias.

charlie15, Funkfoot, roadkit and 2 others repped this.
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7320 yossarian, May 17, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Usually you have a witness testifying about the evidence you're introducing, yes. That's why in my reply to Nutter, I said the prosecution could recall Daniels or anyone else who was privy to the NDA, to rebut what TFG says on the tape. But there are situations in which demonstrative evidence speaks for itself.

Edit: I'll add even without Daniels, you'd have to have a witness authenticate the tape, but that's very nuts and bolts procedural. Q. Mr. X, did you film said remarks by TFG? A. Yes. Q. Is this video an accurate depiction of what you saw/filmed? A. Yes. Q. Your honor, I move to admit.....

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the defense wanted to counter it, they could have Trump testify to what he meant..

chaski repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    as Yoss says, usually you need the correct witness to admit the exhibit. eg a police officer will bring in a whole lot of exhibits of stuff they amassed during the investigation. but frequently to streamline criminal trials a bunch of these things are agreed before hand to avoid wasting so much time on things that are clearly coming in.

23. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rudy Giuliani has been dodging process servers who have been trying to give him docs related to his indictment in Arizona for election rigging. He finally got served, at his 80th birthday party. Heh heh heh

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    To paraphrase Swift (Taylor, not Jonathan) "Look What You Made Us Do!"

25. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this story get better? Yes it can.

He was served a few hours after tweeting that they couldn’t arrest him if they couldn’t find him that day.

SetPeace, Sounders78 and rslfanboy repped this.