P/I/P Season 29 Game 2: LA Galaxy at San Jose, 3/2/2024, 7:30 p.m. PST Apple TV

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Feb 27, 2024.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why are you showing a photo of Shohei?

Have to imagine Yoshida and Yamane will be hanging out with Shohei, Yamamoto, and Rui over the next few years. Quite the Japanese contingent in LA.

2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Jun Endo at Angel City

ProudNatRN, Dawdler, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #353 73Bruin, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    I think a little of the attributing everything good that happened to the Galaxy this season to Kuntz is going a little overboard. First, I think I was the first person on this board to postulate the Kuntz had gotten permission to access Uncle Phil's piggy bank. And to be fair to Kuntz, he deserves full and complete credit for this. IMO, it was the single most important thing to the Galaxy's turnaround (if they do end up turning things around this year). Getting rid of Jovan was also important and something that Kuntz alone (below AEG) had the power to accomplish.

However, I very much doubt that Kuntz should get the entirety (or even most of the credit) for identifying the players the Galaxy brought in. From what Kuntz has said, we know that the Galaxy developed a list of possible players several deep for every position. Not having this list had been a Galaxy failure for the better part of a decade (and obvious - shades of Sigi's Ghost Team). It was something Greg recognized was lacking and led to his hiring of Stephens as the Director of Scouting. Baring a story that Stephens was not involved, I think we have to give him and his staff (direct or contracted) a lot of credit for developing this list. Gordon Kljestan as Director of Player Personnel, might also have a role, Greg might even be entitled to some of this credit.

Berks, MPNumber9, ProudNatRN and 5 others repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know the exact separation of responsibilities, but what I'm commenting on is the gameplan, which I assume is attributed to Vanney. That is, I think he is determining how we want to play and the profile of player he needs to be successful. There were several aspects I was skeptical about: Riqui as the number 10, not having a more imposing striker up top, having less attacking outside backs, not making a clear upgrade at GK and relying on such old CBs. Remember I was so skeptical about Greg just that I was pretty adamant we needed a Director of Football.

It's very early, but so far at least my concerns about the first three are diminished: both Riqui and Dejan look up to the task and our outside backs fit the way we need to play.

ProudNatRN, hav77, 73Bruin and 1 other person repped this.
  5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    With Endo that makes six. We need one more for the Seven Samurai!

But Shohei is more than just samurai. He is more shogun level. If they build correctly around that dude, we may have the beginning of a dinasty. :geek:

ProudNatRN, Dawdler, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  6. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Think of it this way. If Kuntz doesn't come here and take over the FO, are we the same team as we see right now? Rising like a phoenix off of just old Greg there?

I don't think so. I think it's more Vanney supporters wanting to give him the lions share of credit for the different factors that went into allowing for the team to come out as they have this year. Like Greg was slowly but surely working himself toward this?

I don't see that, at all.

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that take. I think it's clear Vanney needed support on the GM side of things; I never thought it was good to have him doing that himself. Having said that, Kuntz is taking all his direction from Vanney, so it's possible he might've gotten all his targets in (a good off-season for Kuntz) and we'd still be crap if Vanney's plan for those players wasn't sound.

8. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is pretty cool, I hope they continue this throughout the season.

Berks, natfaninla, Geneva and 6 others repped this.
  9. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Let's get it going boys. Lets not drop our level and kill kill KILL!

Werewolf mode!

download-16.jpg

Dawdler, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That was awesome!

Dawdler repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now we know where Paintsil got the idea that in American we talk about "killing teams". :)

Bilgediver, mbar and Dawdler repped this.
  12. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. I was going to share it then I saw you beat me to the punch.

Geneva, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  13. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-3-7_20-36-31.png
    This moment.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Loved the video. But couldn't help notice Vanney’s halftime “instructions” start out with “When we get the ball let’s maximize our talents both, individually and collectively.”

Wow. Now that’s helpful advice - its so easy to forget to “maximize your talent”, right? Seriously, Greg? If we had a soccer-buzzword bingo game it would be no fun. We would all be yelling “Bingo!” after his first sentence. :confused:;)

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really liked Yoshida in this.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Go to 1:08 to 1:16 to see the #1 reason we are a different team this season. Paintsil made that defender lose all hope for progressing any higher in his career.

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't teach speed.

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly. And speed kills. Two cliches that are 100% accurate.

If I'm a coach I want Paintsil for career reasons. Tactics, schmatics - give him the ball and get out of the way!

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the guy knew he was miked up. Under those conditions I fully expect him to revert to full on coach-speak. This is an example of the Heisenberg Principle - looking at something might actually change it.

73Bruin, TrickHog and shelbo repped this.