P/I/P Season 27 Game 23: LA Galaxy at SKC, 8/6/2022, 5:30 PT on Unimas

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Vanney appears set on going down with the ship.

2. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe I am blurring GBS and Vanney together, but it seems that the one consistency from the last few years is the Gs consistently trotting out the wrong formation and lineup to start the match. As if the plan/mentality is to make the other team play to the Gs, but it's hardly been the case. What usually happens is the Gs will make a dumb mistake that leads to nothing burger goal, or the other team ends up imprinting their will on the Gs.

MPNumber9, ProudNatRN, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, the Galaxy haven't beaten themselves yet??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Beautiful Gamer and Dawdler repped this.
  4. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copied from Reddit
    The only winner here.
    [​IMG]

Berks, MPNumber9, TrickHog and 6 others repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more so than Rafa Marquez when he came over?

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Spiraling LA Galaxy searching for answers after disappointing defeat at Sporting KC | MLSSoccer.com

That said, the Galaxy have lost five matches in Carson, only Orlando City SC, D.C. United and Sporting Kansas City have lost more at home.

“There’s surely belief in the group and there's certainly frustration in the group. At the same time, we have two home games, back-to-back now, and we’ve got to go home and defend our home turf,” Vanney said. “With two home games and you get two good results… Then you know how quickly things can evolve in MLS and move in a positive directio
    n

Personally, I think the loss to KC dooms our playoff chances. Winning every home game left doesn't get the requisite points to make playoffs, imo.

We have 11 games left but only 5 are at home. There's only 15 points max to take from home games which puts us at 45 points. Last year we finished with 48 and didn't make the playoffs. Last year the following teams finished below the playoff line: LAFC, Dallas, Austin. That's not happening this year, right? Colorado and Vancouver who were in the playoffs last year have caught up to us at 30 points.

My gloom and doom has a purpose. Somebody has to explain to Vanney that playing for next year is the only chance we have of making the playoffs. Doing the same thing over and over and continuing to lose while pretending things are going to "turn around" is a sure way of getting fired. Things don't "turn around" by themselves, Greg. The only way Vanney saves his job is to introduce players who are fit to play and show the way to a bright future.

Nobody in the press asked Vanney this question this week: "Greg, are you embarrassed that your academy players came on and played twice as good as your starters against Chivas, Guadalajara? Was that because they don't play for you?"

shelbo, MPNumber9, ProudNatRN and 8 others repped this.
  7. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    once again the Galaxy mess up and get rid of the only decent Frenchman and keep the others around, the Galaxy should never ever, scout in France or trade for anyone with a French sounding name (looking at you gaspar) ever again.

so I'm kind of glad to see they are going after Latin players this go around with Brugman and Puig but I'd prefer that they search the globe and not limit themselves to a region but I guess they do that because they are more familiar with agents, in France and Latin Countries, instead of other European countries

TrickHog, hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    France has produced a lot of talent recently. Nothing wrong with scouting in France unless your scouting department is

1. non existent
    2. sucks
    3. ran by former players with no experience scouting
    4. You let agents do the work of a scout
    I get your point though. I’d rather have players come in who are hungry to make a name for themselves. We seem to find a way to sign players who want to live in LA but do none of the work.

napper, El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't blame them for moving Raveloson - he was a piece that actually had value that they could move to try to improve the team.

But man can we blame them for signing two DPs that are utterly worthless and therefore impossible to move during the season.

skydog, Berks, ProudNatRN and 3 others repped this.
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking currently in the league. But I like where you are going: Are they worse than Rafa/Denilson/M'Bolhi....?

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all the above.

Dawdler repped this.
  12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    This. Of course.

The most accomplished team in the entire league can't bother itself with a small team of scouts? Even in light of years and years of stupid signings losing the club countless millions every damn year?

I mean, how much can a few people cost the team compared to the cartloads of money it bleeds on bad players acquisitions? Expensive player so useless it's preferable to pay them off.

Start small and work on a scouting team/dept. and see how it goes. See how other do it around the world and build on that.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/slideshow/5-football-clubs-best-scouting-networks

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have added Judd to my list of youth to get more minutes if we don’t win our next two home games.

MPNumber9, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    There is no explaining that to Vanney. I dont see Greg as the type to seek the path of least resistance. You see what his stance is on Dejan v Cabral. This dude looks for hills he can die on.

The "press" consists largely of podcasters beholden to the FO for access and credentials. You are not gonna find hard hitting Q&As from them. It takes somebody like Kevin Baxter to write an article that gently suggests all may not be alright at the front office.

16. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember GBS’ teams falling apart in the second half. Vanney’s teams start poorly and try to catch up.

The Beautiful Gamer and hav77 repped this.
  17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not how I remember it. Seems like it happens over and over

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this might be "the game". The one we all look back on as when our playoff hopes died. I think last season it was either tying Vancouver at home or losing to SJ at home that really hammered home that we weren't playoff-caliber (though we went on a bit of a tear after those games which gave us false hope).

I didn't see the first half, so I don't know if it was just a mess tactically or if individual performances were poor. There were certainly just some bad performances in the part of the match I saw. Of course, both could be true. For me, I just don't see how we can continue to concede so early and how that has not been addressed at this point in the season. Even if you have a play a 5-5-0 and you don't score another goal this season, there's just no excuse for continuing to concede so early and so much.

napper and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So. I didn't miss much.

Had a lovely vacation! Just watched this putrid game and fast forwarded through the majority of it.

UGH.

MPNumber9, skydog, ProudNatRN and 4 others repped this.
  20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know why Vanney hasn't gone with the 3-5-2.
    It almost makes it impossible for Greg to trot out the 2 worthless DPs
    UNLESS
    upload_2022-8-8_10-24-40.png

Costa's only shot is in the 10 role. No defensive duties required, we can sub in Victor/Efra/Puig.
    I don't like Cabral up top but if its the only way Vanney will use him, fine.

The Beautiful Gamer and okifeelthat repped this.
  21. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope you are not blurring the lines. Both Vanney and GBS did this. The difference is that Vanney will recognize the mistake he made and then sub out the guys that never should have started with the ones that should have been there from the beginning; where as GBS would just make even worse subs while riding with his same formation through the fire and the flames. Zlatan and/or Pavon on more than one occasion put the team on their back and ripped victory or draws from the mouth of certain defeat during his tenure. But yeah,...It's because Vanney is willing to recognize when he is wrong is the reason he has some hope. It's one of the reasons he was able to win an MLS cup. The other big two is because he understands how to build a championship roster as well as a bench strong enough to adjust around a bad initial formation. In fairness to GBS he does know how to build a roster as well but unfortunately he didn't have the time to do it, and his substitutions issues were just exacerbated by the fact that the bench was so extra trash at the time. Vanney's bench is a lot better but not by much. And both coaches had to deal with under performing DP's. GBS in Chicha's first year and Vanney with Cabral and Costa.

22. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #322 The Beautiful Gamer, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Yep. I said the same thing about him about 3 or 4 games ago. Either play Costa at wide forward or as a false 9 to get the best out of him in games. And now that Rayan is gone and Puig is on the way in Cabral must go to the bench. Because if you play him as a forward over DeJan you waste Cabral who is better as a wide midfielder or winger.
    We can lineup in the following,...

Start out with a 4-3-3
    -----Dejan------Costa------Chicha
    --------------------Puig
    ----------Brugman--Delgado
    Edward--Williams--Sega--Araujo
    ---------------------Bond

Then on attack convert to 3-4-3 when the fullbacks push up
    -----Dejan------Costa------Chicha
    -Edward---Puig--Delgado---Aruajo
    --Williams-----Brugman----Sega
    --------------------Bond

As well as 3-5-2 when your center forward drops into midfield
    --------------Dejan-----Chicha
    Edward---Puig--Costa--Delgado---Aruajo
    ------Williams--Brugman----Sega
    ---------------------Bond

BUT NAWW SCREW WINNING IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES LET'S ONLY PULL THIS OUT IN FRIENDLIES LOL!!!

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    To kind of beat a dead horse, Costa and Cabral are our main problems, and they are actually worse problems that I thought. I was bored yesterday, and had some type of weird fixation to try to figure what it going wrong this year, so buckle up, and let me explain. This will likely be a long post, but I genuinely spent almost 2 hours watching our highlights this season and breaking down a lot of our goals we conceded. (I'm only going to use screenshots from the SKC game otherwise this will be an essay)

Obviously Costa and Cabral have not lived up to their DP tags whatsoever thus far. To really drive how with how bad they have been offensively, ema boateng has been 4x as effective this season than Cabral, and nearly 3x as effective as Costa. Boateng is a sub for New England that we let go of because he wasn't cutting it...

Now Cabral's and Costa's lack offense isn't the only negative they bring to the team, their lack of defense or willingness to press also is hurting the team arguably even worse. Costa leaves his fullback constantly exposed. In our most recent matches, I've noticed Costa is often way up field or completely out of position. For instance, against SKC Costa was essentially playing striker at times. SKC's right back had large areas for him to move the ball into which then forced either Gaspar or Delgado to have to shift to cover that area. This has a cascading effect. Delgado/Brugman moving to LM to cover forces Brugman to either hold his spot and cover two men, or have Williams/Coulibaly step forward to cover that gap. The best example of that is here:
    upload_2022-8-8_13-31-55.png

This play starts with SKC's right back having time and space because Costa is very far out of position, and does not put at real effort to stop the pass or press the ball. Now here is where the problem happens. SKC's winger receives the ball right at halfway with Costa basically 10 yards away. Instead of Costa pressing the attacker, Gaspar jumps forward leaving huge gap. Costa makes no attempt to fill that gap or track the runner back. This causes Brugman to have to shift over which then leaving Leerdam/Delgado with those two attackers at the top. Also notice how Cabral is literally walking back despite clearly seeing an overload happening behind him. SKC score off a great volley, but in a normal circumstance, that would be a cross into the box, and guess what, Leerdam or Araujo would be left alone back post against two attackers.

Goal #3 for SKC starts almost the same exact way as the first goal.
    upload_2022-8-8_13-44-13.png
    Look at where Costa is positioned. He is not only significantly out of position from LM, but he is also the only player running forward despite SKC progressing the ball into our half. Delgado is forced to shift over and cover Costa's man, but is Costa sprinting back to cover Delgado's now vacant spot? Nope. Brugman is unfortunately alone now at CM because Delgado is doing the right defensive move. Normally that player would cover the other player's spot like Delgado is doing for Costa, but Costa cannot be bothered to play any type of defense.

upload_2022-8-8_13-48-19.png
    Look at what a horrible defensive shape we are in now. Cabral is yet again casually strolling back with no real purpose leaving Leerdam with 2 men to mark, and Brugman is now the only CM covering that gaping hole in midfield. This is why we keep getting overloads. We are essentially playing with 4 defenders, and 2 CMs that have to play defense for 4 players. We defend with only 6 players, and when we play with Edwards or Araujo, it's often defending with just the 2 CBs and 2 CMs. It's honestly no surprise we concede so many goals. Coulibaly, Williams, Depuy, whomever is back there is constantly having to go against too many attackers and be reactive instead of proactive because they just do not have the support.

I saw these exact plays over and over again this season. Cabral and Costa are a massive liability for us defensively especially if you pair them with attacking fullbacks. Neither of them are willing to cover for their fullbacks when they bomb forward. This causes players to have to shift out of position to cover and there were always be some type of gap for the opposition to exploit.

Solutions:

Now Kevin, what is the solution you may ask? Well obvious one is to completely cut our losses with Cabral and Costa. Stop playing them especially as starters. Cabral you can make a case for at striker as a sub, and maybe Costa as a sub for Puig at Cam. Anywhere else, and you are playing with fire.

Yea, but what about Edwards and Araujo since they bomb forward so much and doesn't that create the same gaps and issues you mentioned? Yes it does, but these two players are very good at getting forward and creating chances. We need them starting, and only real way to do that is a 5-3-2. I think this is what works the best. Gives us another CB to cover when our fullbacks bomb forward, and gives us a bit of flexibility on how we can play. Cabral can sub on for Chicha or Dejan to bring some pace up top. Costa can also be brought on for Puig or another striker to make it turn into a 5-2-3 formation.

upload_2022-8-8_14-0-4.png

Geneva, Bilgediver, shelbo and 10 others repped this.
  24. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    The funny thing about it is, Guillermo has a better overall record than Vanney.

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Agree with all of that.

shelbo, Skevin, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.