P/I/P Season 27 Game 21: LA Galaxy vs Atlanta, 7/24/2022, 6:30 PT on FS1

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jul 21, 2022.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 5.52.41 PM.png

Another national game (note kickoff isn't until 6:55 p.m.!) and Star Wars night for the fans in attendance. The Galaxy have played Atlanta 3 times, and lost all three by a combined 0-9 score. The Galaxy are also on a 3-game losing streak. So the force will need to be with us (or least a decent defense and better offense) if we hope to break the losing streak against Atlanta and in the league overall.... Looks like we get Chicharito and Delgado back and our new signing, Brugman, will be available as well. Let's hope that's enough... or else Carson will feel like a Galaxy far far away from the triumphs of our past.

Let's Go Galaxy!

LEM-LAG, ShortyMac, kaburu and 6 others repped this.
  2. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the lethargy that the Galaxy is producing is contagious and Trickhog has caught it:)

for a minute there I thought it was a back to back with Colorado and another torturous game

hav77 and Benny Dargle repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha. Good catch.
    In my defense I had spent all day walking outside at the zoo in gazillion degree heat and was a little wilted.

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve lost sooooo many home games.

really have to win the ones we have left.

I personally need a win to get me fired up again.

5. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    straight from the vanney/klein book of accountability, they have taught you well :laugh:

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  6. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 14 games left. We need to win 7 of those, according to CoG. Seems very hopeful for this team. Especially after reading Trick’s game post.

Go Galaxy!

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  7. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go Vanney. The lineup you trot out if you want a chance at actually winning.

--------------DeJan-------Chicha
    -----------------------Costa
    ----------Rayan--Brugman--Delgado
    Edwards----Williams---Sega------Julian
    -----------------------Bond

I bet you don't use it. Prove me wrong Vanney.

skydog, Skevin, ProudNatRN and 4 others repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket holders just got their renewal email.

Oh boy. Best I can tell my tickets are up 11 or so %. Parking went from $14 to $22 meaning parking next year will be $25 or more probably for general people.

Getting hard to justify for how much disappointment this team has provided in recent years.

SAD SHRUG

Tone deaf FO

ProudNatRN, hav77, JPAR and 6 others repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bales' goal for FC today is a good lesson for Cabral when it comes to shooting. He makes it look like he is just taking a step but in fact he is shooting.

The Beautiful Gamer and Dawdler repped this.
  10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Cabral has been watching Chicharito and Joveljic. He's instead been practicing looking like he's shooting the ball while actually shanking the ball. Forget about it. As for Bale I'd rather have Chicho or Vela type to tell the truth.

Here we go. In 9th place already. Don't care how they win but we need a WIN!

download-3.jpg

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The maths tell me that we gotta win 5 of our remaining 6 home games to have a realistic chance at a playoff spot. So we have entered the for reals must-win games now.....

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You point is quite valid. But more impressive was your ability to work Bale and Cabral into a single sentence - they said it couldn’t be done!

shelbo, TrickHog, Beirut and 4 others repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I like it a lot. I'm not sure why I never thought of the 4-3-1-2. Costa can also shift wide and Dejan can play a left forward type role. Only issue is Vanney's favorite Cabral doesn't fit, and we all know Vanney will force Cabral into any lineup.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Gareth Bale the players more than Kevin Cabral the player.

See, it's easy.

skydog repped this.
  15. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to bring this up to all of you but the Galaxy are turning into Dog Crap United. A shell of a formerly successful and competitive club. It's only a matter of time until we reach out to Jelle VD or Romain Alexandrini to fill up the coaching vacancy and hope for some luck. Of course Klein and JK will screw that up too. They remind me of mush from bronx tale, everything they touch now is cursed. I'm just tired of being tired of losing this is a unwanted new experience for us all.

16. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See I can't even agree because Bale I know, but who the hell is Cabral and from under what rock did Klein dig him out of?

JPAR, hav77 and Dawdler repped this.
  17. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine this is what it's come to, we have to get out our calculators to figure out if we can make the playoffs.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  18. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me try this:

Bale on Tottenham > Bale anywhere else, Cabral on the Galaxy < Cabral anywhere else

19. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if it helps, when they lose today, the math gets much easier

shelbo, TrickHog, pirozhok and 1 other person repped this.
  20. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it sounds awful but what truly helps right now is knowing the European season is about to start and how that excites me more than what is currently unfolding here! Think about if (what I'm saying if) when the Vanney and Klein experiment fails all that's left is Europe and Qatar SMDH.

Dawdler repped this.
  21. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Atlanta isn’t doing well this season, but they have too much talent to think this will be an easy win.

I’ve watched their last two games and they’re playing much better. Like us, they’re not great defensively, and their attack hasn’t been clicking. They seem to lack chemistry in attack and often seem really passive and afraid to hit a killer pass or shoot.

Unlike us, they seem to be taking a step forward. They’ve looked more coherent lately, so I hope the boys are ready.

if we score against them, it’ll be the first goal we’ve ever scored on them. I get the feeling that the first goal will be key in this game. I also think how we play will depend heavily on how Vanney lines us up.

22. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm counting the days till the European games start, besides the expected excitement of teams I follow but also as an early riser there is nothing quite like a morning coffee/tea and 2 hours of thrilling soccer and excited fans to get the blood going in the morning.

23. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I am hoping the Gs lose today and lose the rest of season. Yes, I am being a toxic Gs fan, but it may be the only chance at changing the status quo.

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #24 skydog, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    If we have to go with 4 in the back my lineup would be similar except I prefer that Grandsir start. Except for his mental blocks close to the goal he is our best midfielder. His combo of dribbling speed, off ball movement, work rate and tidiness with the ball at his feet all help us quickly move the ball up the field. He also provides width in attack. Your midfield combo all tend to play centrally and may be too similar to play all 4 simultaneously.

But if we di bring in Grandsir then which of Costa, Delgado or Raveloson do you take off? I see arguments for each.

But none of these players will take kindly to losing their starting position. And Vanney has seen all 3 as regular starters when healthy.

I said this was going to be an issue for Vanney when we picked Brugman, even if Greg gives up on starting Kevin regularly. Can any if you see him benching Raveloson for the meat of the remaining season? Delgado? Costa? Me either.

So that means one of 5 things has to happen:
    1. Go with BG’s lineup and Grandsir is a sub relegated to 20-30min per game. Downsides- We will miss Sam’s work on the field and I don’t think he is a good late sub if you need a late goal. He is better as a workhorse than a goal generator.

2. Bench Costa. Downsides - Costa is a bit better in final third than the others and has been playing a tiny bit better? But mainly Greg is unlikely to bench our “summer savior equivalent” in any case.

3. Bench Raveloson or Delgado? This would be my solution, letting them compete for a final starting spot. Brugman is more of a direct replacement for Delgado so he goes to the bench initially. If Rayan plays lackadaisically as he has done in some games, yank him and send Delgado in. Downside - Greg’s stubbornness may not allow benching either Delgado or Rayan.

4. Go back to a one forward lineup, benching Chich or Dejan. To my mind the dumbest solution but who here doubts Greg is capable of such a move? Downside - back to playing only one real finisher. Me having to buy a new TV after I break mine.

5. Vanney continues to start Cabral and benches TWO of Chich, Dejan, Grandsir, Rayan, Delgado and Costa. Downside - EVERYTHING.

I think those are the only possible options if everyone is healthy and Brugman is ready to start.
    Love to hear what choice you would make (again assuming we are stuck with a 4 man back line) and which choice you predict Vanney will make?

My choice: 3. (My second choice would be 2.)
    Vanney’s predicted choice: 1 or 3. I will arbitrarily predict 3 since I pefer it.

25. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have high expectations, but what the hell, can we get at least a point tonight?