P/I/P personal Home opener, Rapids v TorontoB, 4/14, Saturday 1PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Apr 13, 2018.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See.... I think how does the dude laid looking like that? Then I realize, shit he’s in CO, and he’s probably a hipsters wet dream. :D ;)

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  2. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    A few random thoughts from The Dick today...

*Regardless of TFC's lineup, WE NEEDED THAT!
    * Damn, Jack Price brings so much to this squad. True MOTM regardless of goal. Field leadership, control, and distribution... and grit on the tackling and a goal threat as well. Just don't accumulate too many yellows, Jack. ;)
    * Boli is a beast. Looking forward to seeing him for a full 90.
    * Glad to see Serna on for Colvey early
    * As someone said earlier (great quote), ["McBean surprisingly wasn't that terrible"]
    * Damn (again), it's good to see Shkelzen back! His rocket one-timer on the cross in stoppage time was a refreshing reminder of what he can do for this club.
    * Really looking forward to seeing Price, Gashi, Blomberg, and Boli working together. Have some confidence in the future.
    * Overall, with a few lulls here and there, it was nice to see a decent amount of offensive chances, corner, etc. Rather entertaining match.

Andy126, wormhole, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Injury-prone seems more like it. He's not lazy when he's gotten into games.

German cars often perform, but don't seem overly reliable (they're no Hondas anyway) and are very expensive in the shop...kind of like Aigner?

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, the Rapids outshot the competition for the first time this season (thanks, TFC 2nd team!). But still were out-possessed:

45.7% possession; 11 to 13 shots; road vs Revs
    38.4% possession; 8 to 20 shots; home vs SporKS
    44.6% possession; 12 to 15 shots; home vs Philly
    36.9% possession; 9 to 17 shots; road vs FCDallas
    42.6% possession; 17 to 16 shots; home vs TFC

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  5. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I actually made it out to the game today and:

* Mind boggling that we only had 42% possession.
    * So many shots on goal - Clint Irwin did well, but we need to stop aiming at the keeper's chest
    * Aigner is a finesse player, not a gas-pedal-down player .. the guys is always in amazing position. There's lots of other options though, so he needs to eat some crow
    * Serna did well
    * McBean should not have been on the field .. I appreciate his effort, but it's very hard for him to compete unless he gets faster

3 points!

6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the opening goal due to I-25 traffic at Larkspur.
    - Price is now my favorite player, love the grit and drive ... haven't seen a player like that on the team since Jermaine.
    - Badji is a close second, he's become a beast!
    - Great to see Drew Moor and glad the fans cheered for him.
    - The reffing was ... odd. Swallowed his whistle for most of the game, got it back out at the end.
    - Wynne had a poor game ... not Watts bad but seemed gassed early on.
    - Attendence was pretty poor (again) ... Avs game?

fortcollins and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Are there that many Avs fans? Maybe partly early season, partly due to another cold day?

8. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It warms the cockles of my heart (maybe the sub-cockles as well) to know that Jared's legacy will live on in us, the loyal fan base.

Maarten van 242 and Stuart95 repped this.
  9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avs probably draw a few more bandwagoners this time of year.

10. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Early season, not warm, youth soccer all day Saturday keeps families away, poor 2016 season still an issue.

Andy126 repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, the couple of times I met Watts, he's a tremendously nice guy. I wish him luck at Houston ... I'm just glad I was be holding my breath waiting for that one (two in his first season) moment in a match.

12. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, tired people shouldn't type: how about "I'm just glad I won't be holding my breath"

13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I resemble that remark. Rapids are my favorite sports team in Denver (and we've owned partial season tickets to all major teams) bar none. However, my all-time favorite memory was Avalanche Stanley Cup #1. So although we only went to one Avs game this year, we're pretty excited about them finally making the playoffs again. With the decent weather, we probably would have gone to Rapids. But with the lousy 2017 and the blown games this year, we decided to watch on TV. Strangely enough, we watched the Rapids, only turning during halftime and lulls in play.

jimijam28 repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Was at the match.

• My "Welcome to Fruita" moment of the match was finding out McBean was starting.

• Badji was so dangerous almost every time he touched the ball in the Toronto half of the pitch. He seems to have figured out how to play with both control and pace. he could have had 4 goals.

• When Serna is on the pitch the Rapids are much more dangerous in the attack. he is able to combine with the midfield players to move the ball into dangerous positions. So far he's been the best attacking wingback on the Hudson's squad.

• Gashi is also a technical and tactical upgrade when he's on the pitch.

• Prior to Serna's introduction, the side of the pitch with Wynne and Colvey was a conduit for the Toronto attack. It was really an area of concern.

• The Rapids don't seem to need a lot of time on the ball to get chances, especially with Badji up top.

Andy126, Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  15. mjoe

mjoe New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    *Jack "Mellow Yellow" Price is a joy to watch. Sees the field so well. But we need to get ready to see him disqualified for yellow card accumulation often.
    *Coach certainly pulled the trigger early on Colvey, and he was right to do so.
    *Great to see Gashi's joyous celebration "dance" or whatever that was. Rocket shot was good to see again. His "ole" defense hasn't improved much, but so good to see him back.
    *Badji was a constant threat and always looked dangerous. As others have said, those two statements have not crossed my lips before.
    *Sorry to hear about Aigner's apparent lack of effort in practice.
    *Back line needs Wilson and Ford to be healthy. Any guess on when they will be fit?
    *Did you see Axel's thumbs up to the sidelines (toward our bench or theirs?) when the big lug he was covering was subbed? It was like "Thanks for that. I have enough bruises already from that match up!"

Andy126, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  16. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I get playing on the edge, but Price's yellow on Saturday was unnecessary. Up 2-0, 70 yards from goal with five minutes to play? I can only assume he doesn't care about yellow card accumulation. That was a "what were you thinking" moment.

Sjoberg has been a welcome addition the past couple of weeks. I don't care who gets healthy or when, I keep him on the pitch. It might not be his preferred formation, but he clears long balls and corner kicks like no one else on the team. And he competes.

JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I'd put him fourth behind Ford, Smith, and Wilson. If any of them aren't available though, Axel should be starting over anyone else (I'm looking at you Wynne).

Andy126 repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It's gonna be interesting to see who plays his role when he sits out due to accumulation. I really don't know who else on this squad can do what he is in the holding midfield.

Regardless, he needs to figure out that he doesn't need to initiate a hard challenge in every match - especially when holding a two goal lead.

Maarten van 242 and Rod1916 repped this.
  19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Close call, but Sjoberg's going to make fewer mistakes (a Rapids liability this year).

Ford has a lot of potential, but he's still raw. I don't think anyone thinks of him when they think of great MLS defenders (Sjoberg being an MLS defender of the year finalist two years ago). Frankly, Ford/Sjoberg was a pretty good CB combo when they had four in the back, not that they've been healthy together other than a few games.

Andy126 repped this.
  20. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I’ve thought about this as well. He fills a pretty unique role and does so very very well. That said, my guess would be either Blomberg or Enzo. Both have proven to be high motor guys, shown the ability to cover a lot of ground, get back on defense and control the ball with efficient passing.....

So because I think it would be Blomberg or Enzo, it will definitely end up being Boateng or Azira.

Sports Yak repped this.