P/I/P Morning Opener, Rapids @ NYCFCSC, Sat. April 19

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 18, 2018.

1. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    NYC is a very good team, and without a few good Howard saves and some occasional poor NYC finishing, it could have been 10-0 today.

That said, the first goal is on Howard.

Can the Rapids fire all of their off-season signings right now? Including Hudson? I don't see much point it continuing this farce of a season and pretending the team as is will turn it around. If we're going to stand pat with the same dumb lineups, formations and tactics, I hope MLS adds relegation midseason, so that there's real consequences for this garbage.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the game, but I just saw the "highlights" on the news.

What FC says resonates for me. I am middle aged, been a soccer player and fan all my life, and I gave up my season tix a few years ago. I used to have 6 seats for the Raps, beginning in the first season at the old Mile High.

Ive been to NATS games, Ive travelled to Europe to see games, I coached and I watched my kids play through college. I love the sport.

I barely know who is on this team. If you can drive a fan like myself to disinterest, well Kroenke et al have accomplished something.

COMtnGuy, fortcollins, Andy126 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy that I spent my day outside by the pool. My phone kept going off with scoring alerts, and secretly I hoped that they were Rapids goals. Deep inside I knew things weren't going well, and after watching highlights just now I see that was true.

Odin confirmed my choice was the correct one by sending a Broadtail hawk to watch me while I ignored the Rapids:

20180518_073602.jpg
    Yes, I know, I may be taking the Valur/Iceland thing a bit too seriously!

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Broadwing hawk is an omen. What of? We need a which or priest or something to read the signs.

As for the Rapids, I watched on delay, and really didn't start speeding through until the second half. Like passing a car crash, I can't look away. And at least there are shots and goals..

I'm now rooting for us to be historically bad. 5 losses in a row. What's the record? We can top it. Somehow we will f#@k that up too, probably win 1-0 on an own goal.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7, during the dreadful second half of 2014. Outscored 22-6 during that run. We'd have to lose the next two by 4 goals each to meet that differential. Even this Rapids team may struggle at that.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pure crap ... no excuses, this is down to team selection and Hudson's blind adherence to a system that his talent doesn't support. At least we're consistent in our ability to pick up yellow cards.

Andy126 repped this.
  8. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what' I'm hearing here is that, for the good of the team, I need to drive down to New Orleans on a spirit quest which may involve mind altering substances, exotic women, and rituals, so that we can find out why a hawk landed on my gutter.

[​IMG]

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That performance was piss poor all the way around. The play and decisions spoke for themselves. I could write a book on my frustrations but all the energy to bitch, moan, and complain has been sucked out of me. The only thing I can say because it keeps creeping into my mind and it's so apparently clear ---- Deklan Wynne has to go. Every week it's mistake after mistake after mistake.

COMtnGuy, Sports Yak, Andy126 and 3 others repped this.
  10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, you should go. And if find a good number nine, bring him back.

Paranoid Coyote, Andy126 and Stuart95 repped this.
  11. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have stayed in Sweden.

I had thought that we had our squad in training camp this year, and early on, maybe we'd do OK.....I guess we're better off kinda waiting until early June to settle in on a line-up/system/style (like most other years) so we can start winning once comfortably in last place. "The Rapids Way" ???? This is what happens when the corporate dunces forget they are not Soccer (or basketball, hockey) experts, and they just cannot stop from screwing things up. We were good in '99, '10 and '16, but all those teams were dismantled.....Great work RFO.

Can I buy a vowel?

R

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    After stewing a bit, here are my random thoughts:

• We suck.
    • Clearly the team did not have the right game plan for this situation. NYCFC had a ton of short passes with people getting open for those short passes. We continually tried to find "open space" with the long ball cross field. NYCFC was able to intercept many/most of those long passes or at least close them down by the time the ball arrived.
    • Wynne continues to un-impress. A small scrappy field seems tailor made for Sjoberg's size and skill. Imagine his head on one of the corner-kicks at a minimum.
    • McBean just makes me sad. So many mistakes. His work effort is there, but I would have much preferred a Serna sighting. He has work effort and can take a shot on frame.
    • Howard looked horrible. I get it, people were open on several of the goals. But, man, we could have had a much cheaper person in goal watching balls go by.....
    • I get Gashi has some ball skills, but I don't see his speed up to par. He just doesn't seem to get to the ball as much as one would think given all the hoopla around him getting playing time. He doesn't come up with the on his own as often as one might think.
    • NYCFC is a really good team. We are not. We all expected a loss, but crap I would have like to have seen us be at least competitive. We seriously did not belong on that field.
    • As I started out, we suck.

I am proposing a new scale of coaching decision making. Let's call it the "Wynne/McBean Meter". Scale of 0 "Wynne/McBean's" to 5 "Wynne/Mcbean's". The more likely a coach is to picking inferior players based on some other perceived need (work-rate being the big one), the higher the scale. Pablo would have scored around a 4 in the "Wynne/McBean" scale as he played certain players above others. Cost him his job. I am not sure he would have hit a 5 the way Hudson has been.

(Shamelessly stealing the concept from the Palguta scale of depth.)

Rod.

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've heard that one of the mistakes Smith acknowledged he made last year was letting Pablo drive getting and playing Da Fonte. How is Wynne not exactly the same thing? A USL player who's overmatched in MLS but whom the coach feels is a key player and keeps playing him even when its obvious he's out of his depth. Smith making the same mistake a second year in a row does not suggest confidence that he can learn and improve.

COMtnGuy, fortcollins and Rod1916 repped this.
  14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think signing Wynne in and of itself is the actual problem. He's younger than Da Fonte and has a lot more upside.

However, the way in which he is being used is the problem. If we signed him and it was a situation where he's a squad rotation player, or being loaned out...that's one thing, Instead he's a regular starter. Whether he's being played out of position, or simply not ready to play at this level shouldn't really matter. The fact is we have better options at both positions, but Husdon insists on continuing to force this failed experiment.

15. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-2-3-1 is the right formation for the personnel on this team. Especially since Hudson doesn’t seem to know what a good winger looks like. Oh well.

Sports Yak repped this.
  16. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I find a good 9 I'm keeping him here so he can play for Memphis USL next year.

Let's face it, at this point he'd probably be more open to the opportunity to not play for the Rapids.:D

17. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skipped the last two games due to end of the year kid school stuff. I say skipped because I realize I didn't miss the Rapids either week. Reading the threads I'm finding it takes effort to get excited about them anymore.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigSoccer Pablo. ;)

MrPerfectNot and Dom. FC repped this.
  19. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I work with what they give me.

20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    In my tea I see a broad winged hawk crapping on Memphis.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I dropped mine after having them since day one. In 1996. Very happy with my decision. I even had season tix to the colorado foxes when they first started to play in Jefferson County until they moved to San Diego. Had a couple years overlapping with MLS. The last couple years they played at the dog track in commerce city. Beautiful stadium that Wembley built for them.

Now I'm trying to get over my addiction to horrific soccer. Been tough this year but I'm going to be picky from now on. They have to earn my attendance.

22. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wynne is the new Watts. And they have Sjoberg on the bench. Yep, there's a strategy.

The only thing I can say for Wynne is the 3-man back line may not work regardless of who is playing it.