P/I/P Match 8: Revs @ TOR, Sat 4/20/24 7:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Apr 17, 2024.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the few bright spots this season has been Ryan Spaulding. He's no Alphonso Davies, but he's been more than serviceable.

And call me delusional, but I think the Revs can get a win this weekend.

rkupp repped this.
  4. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    https://www.theblazingmusket.com/p/...&r=23qrhx&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email
    From the article -

After a good week of training, Porter is feeling positive ahead of this weekend’s game against Toronto FC. He applauded the player’s passion and intensity during training sessions. He hopes this translates to getting a good result on Saturday.

“I'm seeing a lot of good things in the core group, this week especially, and that leaves me optimistic for this weekend,” Porter said. “We’ve got to continue, even as we evolve in the way we play and in personnel, to get results.

“So, can we play a little more like we want to play in this game and get back to that? And can we build off some of the leadership quality that I saw this week, the passion, the intensity, and go on the road and get a result?”

This game should be winnable - I just feel like we aren't going to pull out of this rut yet. My prediction is 2-1 Toronto. Vrioni with a late garbage time goal (hope I'm wrong)

5. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    You’re delusional!

propnut27, RoyNJ and ktsd repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at least a little optimistic. Then again, that's what I thought last week vs. NYC. But this actually could be a winnable game, even if we don't have a good track record of getting points away from home.

Vrioni? If you'll pardon the poly-sci geek in me, he's the Susan Collins of goal scoring. (Collins is the senator who will always vote with you when you don't actually need it--out of principle--but leaves you hanging when the vote is close).

rkupp and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs head north of the border for early-season rematch with Toronto FC
    Jeff Lemieux
    posted: Friday, Apr 19, 2024, 03:24 PM
    revolutionsoccer.net

8. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watch how I gloat when the Revs win.

ktsd repped this.
  9. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 25 minutes of the game shows you why our record is what it is. Absolutely incapable of penetrating the box on attack! Did we even manage a shot on goal during that time? Awful! This team is sad. Hard to believe how good we were just a few years ago. Man do I miss Bruce Arena!

eric_appleby, pwykes and BAC2829 repped this.
  10. BAC2829

BAC2829 Member

Apr 15, 2023
    #10 BAC2829, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    The lack of creativity is mind boggling - especially when you consider that Carles, Chancalay, and Esmir, in theory, should make for a pretty creative trio behind the striker. But the lack of chemistry is palpable. At this point, I'm thinking Porter should send the attackers off to the Bahamas with a case of tequila and tell them to have fun playing beach soccer for a week, and maybe they'll come back playing a little more effectively together - because what they lack is chemistry and a sense of joy from playing with each other.

Speaking of Porter, I'm not a "sack the manager at the first sight of trouble" sort of guy... but this is just awful. And I gotta wonder, if things go truly haywire against Miami and we lost BIG, which seems possible and maybe even likely ... is there a chance Porter goes?

I don't think I've ever seen a team with so little to be optimistic about. Everybody's playing poorly. No tactical decision looks even marginally successful for a second. It really does seem like something major has to change.

BERich, pwykes and RoyNJ repped this.
  11. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Right now they have no one who can beat a defender 1 v 1 and no one with enough pace to consistently get behind the backline. So if they go down a goal, they're cooked. We're getting nothing out of Vrioni and Chancalay. I don't blame Porter for benching Chanacalay. But there are no other options.

I got so tired of hearing the commentator talk about lack fo confidence. These are professional players who are paid to peform - confident or not. And none of them are performing.

Buck I thought was pretty good but I left the room when he got hurt. Hopefully it's not serious because his effort was encouraging. Ravis is a good shotstopper. He's got flaws, no doubt, but he's decent at the most important skill for a keeper.

That's it though as far as encouragement. Once again, nothing dangerous got into the box. Virioni and later Wood were nowhere near the ball. And Vrioni, of course, blew the best chance of the game for the Revs to score. Hopefully this is the game that convinces Porter & co that he has to go.

We could be looking at 5-0 or worse next Saturday in a stadium that's 90% rooting for Messi and Miami. Happy days....

propnut27 repped this.
  12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, we are staring the prospect of our worst ever season dead in the face and I don't see this team as currently constructed figuring a way out of it. When this franchise goes down, it goes down in flames. Someone has to lose their job over this.

pwykes repped this.
  13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how many games we've won since Bruce Arena was disappeared?

14. propnut27

propnut27 Member

Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur
    Germany
    Mar 15, 2009
    Naples Fl.
    Club:
    --other--
    One of the major problems I see is that NOBODY on the Rev roster has any pace, both with the ball, or without.

pwykes and BERich repped this.
  15. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Certainly the roster that took the pitch last night. Jones, Bye and Borrero all have pace. But that's it.

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over a month ago I posted that I didn't think this team was very good. They haven't done anything since to change my mind. I think the Revs miss Bye way more than most people would have thought. I know the Revs dearly missed Borrero, as @propnut27 commented they have no speed. So just getting a new #9 really won't solve the Revs' problems, they have multiple issues. Getting Bye and Borrero back would definitely be a start, but more is needed.

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So bad they aren’t even worth discussing. The rebuild needs to start with new ownership IMHO. Being a team in total dis-array is the TRADEMARK of Bob Kraft ownership. What a wonderful feature to set him apart.

pwykes repped this.
  18. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a lot of coaches of teams in distress, Porter is lurching from one lineup to another in search of a winning formula. Not only does it not typically work, it also adds an element of disorientation that isn't that helpful. I think Porter is going to be the one to take the fall here.

Especially since the gulf between preseason expectations and the current reality is so vast. Did anybody read in The Athletic that survey of soccer executives that came out a month or two ago? (Basically a bunch of top-level executives across MLS were polled on various subjects relating to MLS in general and this season in particular.) Among other things, the executives were asked who they liked to win the Supporters' Shield. And one of them picked the Revs!

19. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I think one more loss (which is likely) would get Porter sacked by a lot of clubs, however I'm pretty sure the Krafts won't be enamored with paying him not to coach so soon into his contract. On the other hand they've sold a lot of season tickets and having an irrelevant team isn't likely to help renewals. It could well be that their sights are turned towards Onalfo and making him the fall guy.

Something may happen after next Saturday because what was initially thought of being maybe a highlight of the season (a packed house) is shaping up to be a very embarassing night for the organization.

20. PanAfricaFootball

PanAfricaFootball New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Dec 13, 2023
    The decline of this group since the Arena saga has been much discussed but the long-term injury of Bye continues to be the crucial factor on the pitch. It makes us so much easier to defend and Carles has suffered the most because having constant forward runs from Bye and Jones gave him the time and options to thrive.

Lima is adequate and Spaulding has proven himself to be a capable backup but our attack drags its knuckles and lacks width when we don’t have our excellent first choice full backs flying down the wings.

The primary transfer window ends Wednesday. If we don’t add anybody then we have to wait until July to make any additions. Borrero should help in the attack but until we have both Jones and Bye healthy the few wins we get will mostly resemble that Charlotte result.

21. maniac13

maniac13 New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 10, 2020
    is it safe to presume that Brian Bilello was one of the executives polled?

pwykes repped this.
  22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bilello cast that vote, it just highlights how ignorant the REV front office, and Brian in particular, really are.

pwykes repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't have the words to describe how disappointing this team is at this point. I can't believe how little I'm excited about the potential debacle on Saturday. The one thing I'll hope for is if they put out a good effort and somehow win in front of 60k, maybe that can turn the season around.

pwykes repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter changed four starters, but the play and the results weren't any different. I thought about joining the chorus of those wanting to fire Porter, but this team played the exact same way under Williams and Peay. A fourth manager won't make any difference.

You know what would make a difference? A player like Bou. I will raise my hand and admit I was OK with letting him go at the time. Boy, was I wrong!

Chico Arango has 8 goals this season. The entire Revs team has 5. There is something seriously wrong with that. I don't know what the fix is, but I know it is not Vrioni or Wood.

Onalfo is the one on the hot seat right now. Going into the season with only those 2 as strikers was a huge mistake.

All signs point to a major blowout this Saturday by MIA (which means the Revs will probably steal a win).

I've said it before, but I hate the new handball rule (there was nothing Farrell could do to avoid that other than not sliding).

Stat of the Day:
    Bernardeschi (37) and Chancalay (36) are 3rd and 4th in MLS in shots taken this season, and neither has scored a goal.

squamuloselaggard and pwykes repped this.
  25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHOULD be on the hot seat. We have no idea if this is impacting the Krafts at all.

pwykes repped this.