P/I/P, Match 4: Revs vs DCU, 7/17/2020 8:00pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Jul 17, 2020.

1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Revs can be okay with a tie - DC under more pressure to get a win.

The key moments in this game probably won't come until 60-70th minute, when subs come in to change the game. In their last game, DC was dead until they brought Higuain in. By that point, it will be more clear what each team needs to achieve and some fatigue will have set in among the starters.

Hopefully we won't have to burn a sub at defender this time. Bunbury is a great choice to come off the bench to challenge defenders tiring in the heat. I think our big 3 are in it for the duration, so our subs will probably come in the midfield and most likely, again, for Büettner if he's slowing down.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Something particularly enjoyable about having a Friday night game to look forward to. A rare thing.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have cable, so I bought ESPN+ so I could watch these games. It still won't let me watch without logging into a cable provider. Lame...

Feldspar and TOAzer repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Going to the drive-in ... :D

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is amazing just how much Gil's presence or absence changes the nature of the team's performance.

9. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Wow, bad move by DeLamea. Bet he's going to be riding the pine for the next few games.

10. mefster

mefster Member

Jul 31, 2007
    East Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That might be the dumbest play I've seen in my 16 years as a STH...

pwykes repped this.
  11. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at 25 and its right up there. Delamea might as well have just shot past Turner himself.

12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delamea was having a pretty good game up to that point. But that's a painful goal to concede. It means the difference between being through to the quarters, and having to get a result against Toronto.

13. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an incredible bad mistake and it threw away two points, hopefully won't cost us making the knock out stages.

I thought Buksa took his goal well showed good awareness to get on the end of a deflection. They should have got at least one more , Bou wasn't quite at his best tonight.

I thought both teams were sort of low energy

Any one have any thoughts on Bruce wanting the 5 subs to be permanent ?

pwykes repped this.
  14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the 5 subs to be permanent. It would go a long way toward fixing the professional game's stupidity when it comes to allowing players with head injuries to remain in a match.

TOAzer and A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It seemed to me that the Revs displayed technical superiority in ball control, passing, tactical movement and possession in the first half. Once the Revs goal was scored, however, there was a palpable letdown. Unfortunately the Revs’ subsequent subs added little to nothing. Why Turner was at the left corner of the 18 on the DCU goal when the immediate previous run of play was at the right and outside the 18 is a legitimate question re. his read of the play... Should have been 3 pts., but is only 1 pt. because the Revs let down ~ an historical post-lead weakness for this team, from well before Arena’s tenure...

16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch any soccer game and it drives me nuts when a team plays pass it between the CBs and goalie in their defensive end of the field. You have basically eliminated any room for error. I watched an EPL game the other day where a similar fubar happened. And of course who scored...Higuain, he always scores against the Revs.
    Outside of that, I thought the Revs looked good for stretches of the game. They seem to be missing something or someone at times in the game. I'm still not a fan of Penilla, I would like to see Jones in his spot for a game. I hope Farrell is ready to go against Toronto, we'll need his speed to contain Akinola.

rkupp and pwykes repped this.
  17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible way to lose 2 points.
    Let's face it, hard to get high energy for 90 minutes in the Florida heat

18. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #18 Cannons, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    it was a stupid play..... I thought we looked good knocking it around and had a lot of possession. My two biggest concerns are 1) Injury - I read Gil has the same foot injury that he had before 2) Lack of goals - we cannot win many games if we can only score 1 goal per game. I don't know what the answer is but we need to find some way to score more if we want to be anything. We do look good so far though,

Where's Farrell?

19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news: Revs are one brain-fart away from having back to back shutouts. The pass was bad, but he should have immediately been sprinting back to the goal line instead of leaving Turner on his own.

Bad news: Finishing needs a lot of work. Revs have 20 SoG this year, but only 4 goals to show for it. Only NYC (1 for 20) and the 2 expansion teams (NSH 1 for 8, MIA 3 for 17) have a worse finishing percentage. MIN has been clinical (10 for 19).

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge boneheaded move by Delamea but have to give a big thumbs down to Bruce's subs and the timing of. I am never a fan of mixing with CB pairings during a game unless there is an injury or an issue with a possible second yellow. Rowe was spent by the 60th minute. You could constantly hear the coaches yelling at him from about that time on. Zahibo should have been brought on. Game tied at 1-1 in the 72 minute Teal is brought on for Caldwell and 5 minutes later he subs Penilla and Buksa in the 89th for Rennicks and Buchanon. My thought was those moves were to spell two spent players and not to lose the game rather than to try and get the go ahead goal otherwise you would want to give attacking subs more than 6 minutes to make an impact.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He was spreading the field, providing a passing option.
    I don't think it was a boneheaded move, it was just failed execution.

Arena's subs failed to have an impact at all, but I'm not sure what else he could have done. Looked like our central midfield was pretty spent and we don't have a lot of options there.

Of course, if Diego had contributed anything at all - it could have helped. I focused on him watching the replay of the game and in his 20+ minutes on the field, I didn't see a real sprint once or even any exceptional effort at all. I realize that hustle is not exactly what you're looking for in replacing your #10, but he just seemed totally incapable of inserting himself into the game.

After a promising debut, I thought Buettner was kind of a non-factor. I think younger, faster legs would do better in the heat.

I think we'll see almost a complete new backline tomorrow - Farrell/Kessler and DeJuan Jones. Brandon Bye has actually been among the steadiest, most consistent players over the first two games.

As for replacing Gil, that's a big problem. I think the Fagundez option is dead - I hope it doesn't take another game to confirm that. Maybe Rowe in the attacking role, though he's going to have some heavy legs to deal with. Maybe drop Bou back and add another forward.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Delamea's most bone-headed move was from a couple of years ago against Philly (I think), when a cross was going out over the end line and he reached out and punched it... Handball in the box, PK, late in a tied game.... Could there possibly be a worse scenario?

Remember that one?

Doublecard, A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.