P/I/P Match 21: Revs @ CLB, Sat 7/23/22 7:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Brad better when he was the color guy for Adrian Healey. It still blows me away when I think of who we used to have as our PBP guys.

Crooked repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He was a good ref once upon a time - probably the US' best IIRC. He's like the Rudy Giuliani of MLS referees - used to command respect, but now ...
    Totally agree (but I think we're grading Charlie on a pretty easy scale).

I've been streaming the games on ESPN+ and I pray that I get the away announcers - no matter how bad they are, they aren't as bad.
    For a while I thought that Jones was just off to a slow start this year, but now it's apparent that it's more than that. He's still good, but so much less than what he was last year. I hope that doesn't end up being the highpoint of his career. Last year his runs at/into the box help pry open packed defenses and created room for Tajon, Bou, Gil, etc.

I also thought that Bye had a very sloppy game and it really stunted our attack.
    I didn't notice that, but he should be upset - while the Revs are intent on getting him integrated into their style of play, they should also be focused on getting him the ball where he can do something with it.

------

- I've been a defender of Altidore when I thought people were overly/improperly critical, but I didn't see anything to defend in that 80 minute run. He seemed to misplay every ball that he touched.

- I don't think Vrioni played particularly well - he seemed to be at 3/4 speed - but still he was much more involved that Jozy was.

- McNamara managed to avoid a 2nd, but really handicapped himself with another needless, early yellow. I so much prefer Kaptoum, but since he wasn't even on the bench, I'd have gone with Maciel, a much steadier dmid and more clinical passer.

- Very subpar game for Gil - shocking really, to see him have so little influence. I think with Bou and Borrero out, we had no scoring threats, so there was no one to draw defenders off him. Still, whether it's injury or frustration or something else, he wasn't been up to his own MVP-level lately.

- So happy for Petrovic to get the shutout - he was really impressive in his shot-stopping in this one.

- I also thought Ema would be coming in late for Traustason, but I think, with a 2-game losing streak on the road trip, Arena was being sensible and playing for the tie. Probably makes sense to stop the bleeding, but frustrating nonetheless.

- And, give credit to Farrell, for playing a much steadier game - and winning/neutralizing some key 1v1's.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I watched that production on ESPN. JP with ever rising voice - I'm still expecting him to pass out from lack of oxygen one of these days. I think he was the inspiration for Ian Darke, though Darke seems to be the runaway leader in useless information.

With the whole discussion of Brad, it starts with personality - and he starts off with the wrong one. He's a guy who likes to quibble, debate the fouls, predict the calls, haggle over plays/calls which are insignificant - it's like he's emulating the worst traits of Jeff Van Gundy - you should be talking about stuff that we care about, not stuff that you care about.

And Charlie is really challenged to show excitement that doesn't feel forced. And, when he is offered the chance to give his professional opinion, it seems to lack any kind of insight that should be the minimum you'd expect - that was foul, not a foul, pk, not a pk. At least with Mariner you'd hear about the pros/cons of teams setting a high line - and what was likely to happen because of it. We're stuck with hearing someone tell us about what we've already seen, instead of what we're likely to see.

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Can confirm as someone who watches on ESPN+, the crew broadcast team was a true delight as a neutral. Its funny to think that even the home fans arent too thrilled by the product Brad and Charlie are putting out these days

frankieg73 and pwykes repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As someone pointed out, we have had so much better (much of it when the team truly stunk). And, ironically, in those days, there was quite a bit of turnover in the booth and now, with Brad particularly, the same stuff, year after year.

Even Jay Heaps in the booth was much, much better.

I'd take Clyde Simms over Charlie - though he's got to be less of a homer as well.

6. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with this statement. Although it made me laugh when the colour analyst said that the Revs missed Gustavo Bou's speed.

tsb11 repped this.
  7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    me too! but after watching Jozy play 80 Bou looks like a finely tuned F1 car

pwykes repped this.