P/I/P Match 19: Revs @ NYC, Sat 7/9/22 1:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    NYFC has some nice players. And our backline just hasn't been up to the task.

2. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When you're playing on the narrowest field in the league you know all the attacks have to go right through the center. Yet the Revs, who finally have their two best centerbacks both on the field together, were unable to keep the NYC attackers from breaking free right through the middle time and time again.

Tea Men Tom repped this.
  3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it’s the same team as the English language team on the Univision broadcast. If they are auditioning for a job on Apple next year, it is not going well.

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wheels are coming off…

5. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Does MLS use video review, on site or remote?!? This match is a Revs fiasco in innumerable dimensions!

6. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality of the video is worse than trying to watch hockey on a 12” tv in the 1970s

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game being played on ice? No one can stay on their feet.

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Farrell should know better, but that officating was absolutely awful. Not to mention the playing surface.

Flashbacks of 2019 when Delamea got a red for being near someone

Feldspar repped this.
  9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, TVN was broadcasting in English though the announcers were terrible. I thought one of PKs was justified. Farrell took his feet out with no ball at all. The other two, not so sure. I turned it off when it got to be 4-2. The fourth goal was pathetic. Bye was by-by and Bell was nowhere to be found either. That left Kessler alone trying to run down a fast player. Didnt work.
    Arena has real problems in multiple areas. Time to sigh 2 or 3 quality players and not from the bargain bins either

10. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    That MLS has two of its better teams playing on a pitch like that is just a total joke. Polster had a twitter post saying the two goals weren't even aligned. That all said, our CB's collectively sucked and cost the Revs the match. Yeah, these guys go down if you blow on them, but Farrell and Kessler should understand that.

goussoccer repped this.
  11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TUDN was in English and I think they had the NYCFC announcers. The video feed was such fuzzy crap that I think VAR would've missed a Zidane headbutt, or Beckham stomp. In fact one of the announcers said "you can't really tell because the replay is too fuzzy." Note to announcer, it's a CLM to crap on your companies video feed.

Someone should teach Castellanos that if you think you are pushed in the upper back, dive forward, not feet first. Bruce's post game quote "Someone owes us an apology." Minor league TV, minor league refs, minor league fields, and yet we're supposed to believe this is "Major League."

Now that I don't live close enough to attend (Nashville 6 hrs, or DC 4 hrs, or Charlotte 3 1/2 hrs) live, my interest in MLS has seriously waned. :( I really want to be a supporter, but it's "Major League" hard to do.

SamSam and pwykes repped this.
  12. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Farrell was bad this game. The other day I posted that for every 4 or 5 games Farrell saves the Revs he throws one away. He has some serious making-up to do!

That field is bad. Between the small size and turf, it's tough to watch a game played there. As Revs in 2010 comment Minor league conditions. If the MLS wants to be considered a world-class professional soccer league; there is no way they should award a franchise to any team that doesn't have, at a bare minimum, permits, and plans in hand for a stadium.

On the bright side, Bou's goals were a thing of beauty.

edcrocker repped this.
  13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly the same thing happened in the Revs II game. 3 PKs for the baby pigeons. One saved.

14. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Everytime I watch a game at this field I always think it's unfortunate because we aren't watching a 'real' soccer game. When the field is so congested 'the play' is just different.

The ONLY 'good' thing about the field was when we got a RED card....I though, well, at least the small field makes it easier being a man down.

Overall not a good game by our team, but I wasn't hopeful for much going into the game. WIth a field like that these games tend to be flukey.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm generally not one to crap on the refs, but damn, that was awful. Second and third weren't penalties. The third was obviously outside the box, how did VAR screw that one up? This defense continues to disappoint, and nothing is being done to fix it. As a matter of fact, nothing has been done in three years to fix it.

tsb11, Cannons and Feldspar repped this.
  16. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. I generally see complaints about refs as excuses, but other than the first (clear) penalty, that was piss poor officiating in the box. You don’t give three penalties in a generally foul-free half. If I was a more cynical fellow, I’d seriously wonder if the ref was on the take.

That said, we need a smarter CB to push Farrell. He’s over quota on the season for stupid plays already.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs drop down to 9th place (tied with CLB for 8th, but CLB has game in hand).

Revs one of six MLS clubs NOT playing mid-week, so they can rest while PHI travels to MIA on Wednesday.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Seems like analyzing this game is really analyzing the PK calls/non-calls.

- first one on Farrell, clear as day, no dispute. Only mystery is why a veteran of his stature still makes mistakes like that in the box.

- 2nd one on Kessler. Sorry, no. Castellanos initiates the contact by trying to kick around/through Kessler, creating the whole pile-up. If anything, he should have gotten a yellow for a dangerous play.

- 3rd one - first of all, clearly some rough contact from the back, but was it enough? Clearly Castellanos embellishes [poorly] but going down feet first when the contact was high. I know it's not the way the game is called, but when a player goes down on his own, I'm swallowing the whistle.

But, the biggest glaring error - and how the VAR didn't correct this is mind-boggling - was that all the contact was before entering the box. By the time Castellanos enters the area, there is no longer any contact between the players. Should have been a free-kick outside the box and a yellow.

- 4th one - not called. Jones tries to play the ball back in the NYC area and clearly gets clipped on the ankle as he does so, yet that's not even given a second look?

It is bad enough when refs hand out yellows like they are candy, now have one doing the same with PKs. I hope this guy gets roasted over this performance.

The field, as mentioned, is a travesty. The game is and must be played entirely differently there than anywhere else in the league. The whole premise of potentially playing MLS games there is if they can cover the mound and infield area with turf that responds like the rest of the field. That clearly wasn't close to being the case. Whatever turf they layed down looked like it endured weeks of drought - players had no traction at all, the ball ran and bounced differently.

And then, the biggest problem is that the field is so congested, the game is more like indoor soccer, with the ball careening everywhere.

I like the idea of starting McNamara, because he knows that field better than anyone, yet lately I keep getting the sense that he's not up to the level of the league at this point. Yes, he hustles, works hard and is responsible, but he also commits clumsy fouls and gets beaten and caught out of position - and is really lacking as a passer. OTOH, he's been pretty good at hitting the woodwork. :whistling:

I don't think Polster was much better, but he had the excuse of a long layoff - and the congested field favors quick over physical players IMO.

Mostly, this game just makes me hate NYCFC more. Someday, people will look back at that team and this time like the NBA does about the Pistons and Knicks of the 1980s - they got good by making the game ugly.

BERich and pwykes repped this.
  19. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Aren't you better off being a tenant at Red Bull Arena vs at Yankee Stadium? Considering that this is City Football Group, an orgranization with deeper than deep pockets. And maybe MLS chips in since this debacle is a bad look for the entire league. They had to know from the start that your chances of building anywhere in Manhattan are slim to none - and if they can't do it now in a post-Covid era with real estate prices down, it's probably not happening anytime, say for at least the next decade.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of your post, but if you're going to call that a foul, it's DOGSO and definitely a red.

pwykes and tsb11 repped this.
  21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I agree. only quibble is giving the pen and the red. that's double jeopardy, and should be reserved for moments where the player clearly makes no attempt to play the ball

BERich repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farrell did give a little shove with the forearm on the third one, which was dumb. If he doesn't do that, it's a (second) yellow card to Taty for simulation (as he was starting to go down already after initiating contact with Farrell by reaching back with his left arm).

23. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    How do we feel about Petrovic after this game?

despite giving up four goals, I think there was a lot to be encouraged about in this game. He made some huge saves and then in some cases gave up rebounds, but glad to see there is a lot of potential

edcrocker repped this.
  24. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petrovic didn't give up 4 goals. His teammates let him down.

Feldspar, NFLPatriot and BERich repped this.
  25. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. He gave up two PKs (and saved one). The other two goals were rebounds but they were off of breakaway saves. He came up big and was a reason we were still even remotely in the game at the end.

edcrocker, Minutemanii and NFLPatriot repped this.