P/I/P Match 13: Revs vs TOR, Wed 07/07/21 7:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 6, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MATCHDAY GUIDE | Everything you need to know ahead of Revs vs. Toronto FC (July 7, 2021)
    By Elizabeth Pehota
    revolutionsoccer.net

Why Toronto FC decided now was the time to part with Chris Armas: "We just saw no way back"
    By Dylan Butler
    Sunday, Jul 4, 2021, 06:47 PM
    mlssoccer.com

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs 5-0-0 at home. TFC 0-6-1 on the road. Normally that would be a good sign. I just don't like that they're going to be coming playing for a new (interim) coach.

Feldspar, A Casual Fan and BERich repped this.
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the interim coach reconcile with Jozy? Especially with Ayo joining Tajon with the CanMNT.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto is coming off a game where they got embarrassed by DC. New coach, players hungry for a new look and looking for more PT. Revs back home after giving up a 2 goal lead on the road and losing to lowly Dallas. This is one of those games on paper they should win handily but we all know these "trap" games bite the Revs in the ass more often then not

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Toronto are going to be without 9 of their top 20 players
    NT duty: Osorio, Laryea, Ayo
    RC: Zavaleta
    Injury: Westberg, DeLeon, Morrow, Gallardo
    Narnia: Jozy

Add that Pozuelo is still returning to full fitness and I do not see much light for TFC

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jozy's issues were solely with Armas (no evidence, just spit-balling here), then the FO may have played their "Get out of Narnia free" card....

7. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Wow that's nuts.

RE: giving up so many goals recently -- while Bell had that bad gaff and Farrell failed to have eyes on the back of his head in C'bus, to my eyes the defensive solidity of the midfield has been a major contributing factor. Too easy to make dangerous passes that set the back line scrambling. I still feel like a more disruptive DM (rather than having two pivots) is a missing piece.

That said, hard to complain too much about this year's roster given recent years pre-Bruce....

teskicks and BERich repped this.
  8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this plus Toronto missing 9 of its top 20 players is a perfect recipe for the Revs getting upset. I'm very nervous about this match.

9. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    Here is a line-up Bruce Arena should consider starting tomorrow:

----------------------------------Turner-----------------------------------

Bye--------------Farrell---------------------Kessler-------------Jones

--------------------------Polster----------Maciel-------------------

McNamara-----------------------Gil--------------------------Traustason

---------------------------------------Bou----------------------------------------

1. Center-Back

I’m concerned about the play of the center-backs. Although Andrew Farrell was good last season (especially in the playoffs), he hasn’t been as good this season. For instance, in both goals against Columbus on Saturday, he was at least partly at fault. Also, although Jon Bell has good size and decent speed, he’s a bit clumsy, and his positional sense has been questionable. Against FC Dallas, Bell was beaten by Ricardo Pepi on both of Pepi’s goals. And Kessler has not been as good this season as he was last. He’s been less reliable defensively.

I think Arena should start Farrell and Kessler tomorrow. They’re both much more experienced than Bell, and Bell was vulnerable against FC Dallas.

2. Midfield

I believe Tajon Buchanan is with the Canadian national team and will not be available for tomorrow’s match.

I think Anor Traustason should start tomorrow. Even if Buchanan were available, I’d start Traustason at left midfield (with Buchanan at right midfield). Traustason hasn’t been making important mistakes, and he helps the team keep possession. He also seems to play good defense. In addition, against Columbus, he played only 12 minutes, so he should be fresh for tomorrow’s match.

I’d start Tommy McNamara at right wing and Maciel in central midfield next to Matt Polster. McNamara has been solid this season. And he played decently at left wing on Saturday. For instance, according to whoscored.com, against Columbus, McNamara had 12 passes and completed 83 percent of them. Here:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...cer-2021-Columbus-Crew-New-England-Revolution

Moreover, Maciel is good at helping the team keep possession. His pass completion-percentage is 89.4%, the highest on the team. Here:

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/stats/

In addition, in difficult circumstances against Columbus (the first game at their new stadium and all the passion and intensity that the Crew brought to the field), Maciel had 23 passes and completed 87 percent of them.

Another option would be to start Teal Bunbury at right midfield, with McNamara next to Matt Polster in central midfield. McNamara is more of an offensive weapon than Maciel. For instance, this season, the former has one goal and one assist; the latter has no goals or assists. In addition, Bunbury played only 26 minutes against Columbus, compared to 78 minutes for Maciel. So, the former should be fresher than the latter. But, against Columbus, Bunbury’s passing statistics were mediocre. He had 5 passes and completed only 60 percent. Also, sometimes Bunbury lets the ball get away from him when he doesn’t have to. Perhaps sometimes he tries to do too much.

However, I would plan to bring Bunbury into the match in the second half for McNamara or Traustason. Bunbury plays good defense, was the Revs’ leading scorer last season, and has scored an important goal this season (the first goal against Philadelphia in the 86th minute in a 1-1 draw).

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Revs press release regarding Turner being named to the US Team, he was supposed to report yesterday so he won't be there tomorrow.

edcrocker and Feldspar repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut is telling me it will be Edwards in net. Knighton played twice for R2 in early June, but hasn't played in the 4 games since. Edwards has played 3 games for R2, and two of the last 3, including last Saturday at Gillette.

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think Bruce has 3 options:

Play a narrow diamond - basically admit that with Tajon gone our wingers stink, and try to win control of CM while also getting Buksa and Bou on the field together
    Play a 352 - Same song as the narrow diamond, but with more CB instead of CM. Lets Bell and Farrell play more like stay home FB which is their natural position.
    Stick with the 4231 - and rely on depth for attacking width. Although I would like to see Boateng/Arnie/Teal I bet we see a healthy dose of Tommy. Maybe Bou shifts wide, but I think given his form thats a mistake

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am probably guilty of failing to pay attention but what is the news on Caicedo? Last I heard he got his green card, he was back to full health, ...

15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much official word but he came back and played little for REVs II. He must have had a setback.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Lemieux article above:

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce mentioned in his presser that TOR are recalling some international players for tonight.

From Lemieux:

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Ooh i missed lawrence in my initial tally.

Interesting, I wonder how that will work

19. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish there were more news on Caicedo as he is one my favorites. There does not seem to be indication that he is practicing with Revs or Revs II. I am starting to wonder if he will ever make it back. I hope he does.

20. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Bruce said in an interview last week that he expects Caicedo to be back with the team "next month" which I took to mean July.

asctester repped this.
  21. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this on locally or only ESPN +?

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut was wrong. Knighton gets the start.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV38

Coolwhip repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thunder rolling into Foxboro right now.

I'll double-down on my gut, and say I expect a weather delay at some point in this game.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number 30 on Toronto is barely taller than the corner flag!