P/I/P June opener, Rapids host Whitecaps, Friday, June 1

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, May 31, 2018.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooff. 7th straight loss, 4th straight loss at home, where we should have a real advantage.

2. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]
    When's the 2019 Superdraft?

SccrDon, COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and 3 others repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    18 shots, 3 on target. Oy.

Attendance: 16746. Ouch. That's a lot of no shows!

And Shiffrin spoke at half time and had a Rapids jersey on. Oh no, so young.

How many times have they pulled a centerback when trailing?

4. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good timing...just before Meet The Team party. *YIKES*

Sports Yak repped this.
  5. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Curious to see how long Hudson lasts....really no reason to keep him, other than avoiding payout (not sure the details of his contract). This team has talent, not tons...but enough to be competitive in this league. Hudson is unwilling or incapable of changing his system...so the team needs to change managers. Time to go. Let’s see if FO has the guts to make an easy decision.

Andy126 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 years.

No way they fire Hudson, they're still paying Pablo and KSE isn't going to pay 3 managers at once.

To be fair, I see KSE's point on this one. Smith came to them essentially as soon as Hinchey stepped out the door and said "I can't win with Pablo, let me fire him" and KSE fired Pablo less than a year into a new 3 year deal, something they've never done. Smith can't come back 9 months later and say "I screwed up, let me fire Hudson and hire somebody else" and expect KSE to approve that. He's got to sleep in the bed he made.

7. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Jesus christ, hire a scout in Central / South America and let's start winning some games.

Stuart95 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longest losing streaks and scores:
    2014: 7 games, 22 against, 6 for
    2018: 7 games, 17 against, 5 for

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Badji is suspended next game, right? That will help in the drive for 8.

COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    I agree and wish you were right. But given what Jason said, it’s probably wishful thinking.

Sidenote: FWIW. Interestingly, early this evening before gametime I was sitting in the neighborhood park listening to a band with my wife and kids (opted against attending match). I turn around and see two former Rapids players from the past couple seasons. Not kidding. Chatted a bit. They still know former teammates on the squad. I didn’t probe. Nor did they reveal details. But they did volunteer some basics that, let’s just say, corroborates what many/most here have speculated about Hudson’s style and persona. “Insecure” and “My way or the highway style” were terms/phrases used based on things they’ve heard. Again. Hearsay and FWIW. But it sure didn’t surprise me.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  11. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    How many of those in 2014 were home? Wondering. Cuz losing 4 straight at home this year ain’t no good.

COMtnGuy, MrPerfectNot and Andy126 repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 of the 5 were at home.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 & 4. Two inexcusable numbers. Let that sink in for a minute. This is getting to be too much for me. My BP can only tolerate such annoyance and anger. It’s such a clusterf**** I don’t have any suggestions on how to fix it expect fire Hudson but that ain’t happening. Castillo, Nicholson, Price and Blomberg (maybe) can stay and the rest can go. Those guys were the only guys that showed up tonight and the only guys that have consistently shown up all season.

COMtnGuy, Sports Yak and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    South stand atmosphere curiously ok, and at least there’s goals. If we stop playing 3 in the back I hope we go to two. Bringing “Hudson, we have a problem” poster to the next one.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about where I'm at as well. I'm ready to stop watching MLS completely, just so I don't have to hear about how terrible the Rapids are.

We're not yet at "put the memorabilia in a box in the attic" levels but it's not out of sight. The fact that I'm even considering it after being a Rapids fan for 22 years bothers me a lot. I guess I've found the answer to "How really true fan are you?"

Coupled with the USA-less World Cup coming up, and it's a dreary time for this soccer fan.

A picture of better days:
    4711606618_5ed2641fd5_z.jpg Representing for the Rapids on the coast of South Africa during the 2010 World Cup, when the US won the group in dramatic fashion and the Rapids went on to win MLS cup.

COMtnGuy, GreatZar, MrPerfectNot and 3 others repped this.
  16. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a few games teams have figured out our attack. They’ve started sitting deep so the over the top ball to Badji just isn’t there. Also there were countless times where it was Badji and Boli vs 5-6 defenders fighting for 50-50 balls. I don’t get what this strategy and formation is supposed to be getting us. We have a crap defense and no offense. It’s literally the worst of everything.

17. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea. Given how the completely ineffective 50-50 balls crossed to 2 forwards vs. 5 defenders continues to be Hudson's only remaining offensive tactic (with the long ball effectiveness evaporated), I can only conclude that Hudson sees these blind crosses as viable offensive "threats"... which they are not and we have many games of proof. Whether it's this, the ongoing flailing tactics he assigns to defenders, or the player selections, I just don't think Hudson sees what he needs to see in order to be an effective coach. Others here have alluded to this in various ways.

Coaching national teams with months of prep allowed per match is a far cry from what's needed to "see" and "adjust" this frequently and continually in a 34-match season...week to week.

I don't think he has what it takes to be a club coach. Period. End of story.
    (And that conclusion doesn't even factor in all of the various other intangible problems that stem from his uber-stubborn personality trait)

18. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And furthermore, I don't think Padraig Smith has what it takes to be a GM in MLS.

Who does he report to? My fantasy is that person is on the phone to Ali Curtis right now.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  20. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea. Spoke to both of those characters in 2012 after Bravo ran Smith out and Pareja had a major skid. Even back then they mastered the “We care” lip service and dished out very misleading/contorted team stats that painted a glowing picture of the team form. When lightly grilled on the nature of the stats they raised, it became apparent they didn’t have a clue what the stats meant (no soccer knowledge) and they were just relaying info they heard from Bravo/Hinchey (who did so to demonstrate success and advancement for job security).

Doubt anything would change now.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ali Curtis.....damn we can only dream. I don’t know if it’s being said but it’s lining up perfectly for Philly to scoop in for Curtis when Earnie Stewart takes the USMNT GM role. Curtis is a Philly native and it makes too much sense. But that Zindane dude is available ;) :D

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So’s Wenger.

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    No sense torturing myself thinking about a new coach if Hudson is on a 3 year deal.

Anyone remember how many times they've pulled a centerback for an additional attacker? I suppose it didn't come up for a while since they started the season blowing leads. (Remember the good old days?)

It is tough that there's often a stretch where they do play well, like early in this one where they got lots of decent crosses and cutbacks in. But the box was pretty crowded. I guess that will be more common if that's the only avenue of attack once the Rapids manage to make it in to the attacking half.