P/I/P Game 29: L.A. Galaxy @ Colorado, WEDNESDAY 9/11/19, 6pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Sep 3, 2019.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on how that ref claims to interpret the game, it sure looks like the Colorado player lashes out with his leg and hits Gonzalez.

cleschke and mbar repped this.
  2. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Well, I still believe. I understand the frustration but Colorado got help from some dubious officiating in the form of that soft PK to the mustache and non-call PK to Feltcher because of course it was just the last bit of the match.

There were key players missing last night and the altitude is a factor at crapids home.

I am hanging in there until Galaxy gets a toe tag and they turn off the lights, but yeah, now I see how/why fans invade the field sometimes.:eek::mad:

GalaxyOne and ProudNatRN repped this.
  3. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Also, if it all goes to pot. If we don't male the playoffs? Then I want a new coach.

It has been said that a really good keeper can hold the line and keep a team in game it has no business in and give the team a chance. In general terms I agree with the concept.

I also think that a really good coach should be able to adjust his lines and tactics enough to help his team out in key matches from time to time to give them a chance.

I don't see that with Guillermo.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That is exactly the wrong angle to tell if contact was actually made. No objective ref could watch it and say "I saw the contact." Worse is the clip stops too soon - what happens in the second after is a big clue to what happened the second before.

TrickHog repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm on the "rebuilding year" train but I'm very concerned that you might very well be right.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tweet from one of our reporters, in case you haven't seen it yet:

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Did Zlatan have anything to say about phantom trips being pk's?

8. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if you subscribe to this and believe its not a penalty it would at a minimum be a dangerous play and should have resulted in an indirect free kick.

73Bruin, El Futbolisimo and skydog repped this.
  9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know what? You make a good point here.

That was a dangerous situation and it was more luck than judgement that Rolf Feltscher didn't get a serious injury.

Honestly, I think for his own good, I think we should allow Rolf to retire immediately. It's just not worth the risk. ;)

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Now to discuss this non-call more seriously:

First issue - whenever there is contact between a boot and a head shouldn't at the very least a foul be called for dangerous play? If the foot is raised too high the kicker is guilty and if the head is brought down too low the guilty party is the kickee. In either case I would think at minimum a foul needs to call and probably a yellow as well. And if so it should be an indirect free kicks in the box.* Why not here?

Second issue: Does the "ball has gone before foul" argument nullify all pk calls? I don't think so. What if the an impending foul adversely affects the scoring attempt? For example if I see a boot coming toward my head I may flinch and miss a goal I would have made otherwise. In this case Ibra is free to express his opinion but I don't see how his general argument holds water.

*See https://www.myactivesg.com/Sports/F...ball-Rules/Indirect-free-kicks-in-penalty-box where the description says the defender doesn't even make contact with Ronaldo but foul is called due to him raising his boot above his chest.

Edit: @cleschke beat me to it!

TrickHog repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You get double reps for killing two birds with one post.

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan just realizes that the Galaxy are getting crap call after crap call since he complained, so now he's doing a little Bugs Bunny Jedi Mind Trick and trying to get us back to having an even and fair game....

barroldinho repped this.
  13. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don’t know what height the kick needs to be at but I would make the argument as well that the incoming kick altered the attempt. I feel the same about off the ball players in an offside position during a goal. If they are close enough to distract the GK it should be called but isn’t enough.

73Bruin and skydog repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, since you mention it:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/co...her-takeaways-from-colorados-2-1-win-over-la/

shelbo, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  15. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

Ibra Interview

16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ProudNatRN repped this.
  17. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Zlatan was probably thinking if I was dribbling in the box and surrounded by two defenders the consequences are that I'd go down like a ton of bricks and try and draw a penalty.

ProudNatRN, barroldinho and skydog repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm inclined to agree with Zlatan on both calls. You get screwed in the margins.

I can't think of many times I've seen a PK called for the Feltscher situation.

19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Remember that both the Quacks and Loons also ordered the poo-poo platter dinner last night. Everything is still very tight pointswise.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and GalaxyOne repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It’s one thing to say we shouldn’t put ourselves in a situation and a very different thing to say “it was a legitimate pk.” Don’t confound the two.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're saying the same thing. The VAR reviews all key plays, such as PKs, but only calls the center ref over to review the replay if the VAR thinks the ref made an obvious mistake (in his opinion). The center ref always makes the final decision.

22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a bit too soon to bail, I think. Yes, I have lost a lot of confidence and optimism, but not yet all belief. They still have time to turn it around and possibly go on a run.

23. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what a smart player is supposed to do when getting clipped like that in the area. Instant PK. If you don't pull up the pins and fall, it will almost always be no call.

Similarly, perhaps if Rolf had just feigned being knocked out cold for a couple minutes instead of flopping around like a hooked trout, he may have gotten a penalty too.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the replay video doesn't have to prove there was a clip. It needed to prove (or provide solid evidence) there was no clip, because the call on the field was PK.

JasonMa and barroldinho repped this.
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't have worked with Rolf. Feigning being knocked out cold is what he does every time he's expected to track back.

The Cadaver, hav77, skydog and 3 others repped this.